Reading with Kat 2013

Lilywhite

Currently Reading

Catherynne M. Valente ~ The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

Charlaine Harris ~ Dead as a Doornail (re-read)

Read so far (click link for review)

19. Ben Aaranovitch ~ Whispers Underground

18. Ben Aaranovitch ~ Moon Over Soho

17. Charlaine Harris ~ Dead to the World (re-read)

16. Charlaine Harris ~ Club Dead (re-read)

15. Charlaine Harris ~ Living Dead in Dallas (re-read)

14. Jo Walton ~ Among Others

13. Cath Staincliffe ~ The Kindest Thing

12. Karen Rose ~ Did You Miss Me?

11. Charlaine Harris ~ Dead Until Dark (re-read)

10. Sue Townsend ~ The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year

9.   Jojo Moyes ~ The Last Letter From Your Lover

8.   Cath Staincliffe ~ Blink of an Eye

7.   Martina Cole ~ The Life
6.   Melissa Hill ~ Something from Tiffany's
5.   Diane Chamberlain ~ The Midwife's Confession
4.   Logan Belle ~ Blue Angel
3.   Catherynne M. Valente ~ The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
2.   Jodi Picoult ~ Lone Wolf
1.   Carol Topolski ~ Monster Love

Available To Read

Amanda Jennings ~ Sworn Secret (review)
Catherynne M Valente ~ Deathless (review)
Trudi Canavan ~ Magicians Apprentice

Trudi Canavan ~ The Rogue
Philippa Gregory ~ The White Queen (Cousins War Series book 1)
Philippa Gregory ~ The Red Queen (Cousins War Series book 2)
Philippa Gregory ~ The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War Series book 3)
Charlaine Harris ~ Dead and Gone (book 9)
Charlaine Harris ~ Death's Excellent Vacation
Gregory Maguire ~ Out of Oz
Christopher Paolini - Inheritance (book 4)
PD James ~ Death Comes to Pemberley
John Verdon ~ Shut Your Eyes Tight
Fiona Neill ~ What the Nanny Saw
George Bernard Shaw ~ Pygmalian
Truman Capote ~ Breakfast At Tiffany's
Susan Hill ~ Dolly
Christopher Fowler ~ Spanky (RISI)
Jostein Gaarder ~ Sophie's World
Kelley Armstrong ~ Waking The Witch (Otherworld book 11)
To Be Read (but in the attic!)

Mitch Albom ~ For One More Day
Kelley Armstrong ~ Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford Book 1)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Summoning (Darkest Powers Book 1)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Awakening (Darkest Powers Book 2)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Reckoning (Darkest Powers Book 3)
Margaret Atwood ~ The Handmaids Tale
Michele Bardsley ~ Because Your Vampire Said So! (book 3)
Michele Bardsley ~ Come hell or high water (book 6)
Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White
Trudi Canavan ~ Last of The Wilds
Trudi Canavan ~ Voice of The Gods
Gail Carriger ~ Soulless
Tom Cox ~ Under The Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man
Christie Dickason ~ The Principessa
Pen Farthing ~ One Dog at a Time
Stephen Foster ~ Walking Ollie
Tess Gerritsen ~ In Their Footsteps
Tess Gerritsen ~ Stolen
Tess Gerritsen ~ Call After Midnight
Emily Giffin ~ Something Borrowed
Seth Grahame-Smith & Jane Austen ~ Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Vicky Halls ~ Cat Counsellor
Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction
Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Kiss
Torey Hayden ~ Beautiful Child
Mandasue Heller ~ The Pact
Susan Hill ~ Mrs DeWinter
Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Burning Times
Gregory Maguire ~ A Lion Amongst Men
Gregory Maguire ~ Lost
Gregory Maguire ~ Mirror Mirror
Donald McCaig ~ Rhett Butler's People
Karen Moline ~ Belladonna
Kate Morton ~ The Forgotten Garden
Christopher Paolini ~ Brisingr
Jean Plaidy ~ Castille For Isabella (Isabelle & Ferdinand Trilogy bk1)
Jean Plaidy ~ Uneasy Lies The Head (Tudors bk1)
Terry Pratchett ~ The Light Fantastic
Justine Picardie ~ Daphne
Eva Stachniak ~ Dancing With Kings
Jonathan Stroud ~ Heroes Of The Valley
Sue Townsend ~ The Queen & I
Willy Vlautin ~ Lean on Pete
Freda Warrington ~ A Taste of Blood Wine
J M Warwick ~ A Season of Eden
Alison Weir ~ The Lady Elizabeth
Alison Weir ~ Innocent Traitor

Waiting to Arrive

My Wish List/Books of Interest

Kelley Armstrong ~ Spellbound (Otherworld book 12)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Number 13 (Otherworld book 13)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Werewolves (Otherworld book 14)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Spellcasters (Otherworld book 15)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Made To Be Broken (Nadia Stafford 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Wild Justice (Nadia Stafford 3)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Gathering (Darkness Rising 1)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Calling (Darnkess Rising 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Rising (Darkness Rising 3

Kelley Armstrong ~ Tales of the Otherworld (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Angelic (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Counterfeit Magic (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Forbidden (Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Chaotic (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Becoming (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Hidden (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Darkest Powers Bonus Pack (Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Dead to Me (Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Hunting Kat (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ The Hunter and The Hunted (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 2 (Novella)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Amytiville Horrible (Novella)
Kelley Armstrong ~ Brazen (Novella)
Michele Bardsley ~ Wait til your Vampire gets home (4)
Michele Bardsley ~ Over my dead body (5)
Michele Bardsley ~ Cross Your Heart (7)
Michele Bardsley ~ Must Love Lycans (8)

Michele Bardsley ~ Only Lycans Need Apply (9)
The Sacrifice by Kathleen Benner Duble
Jayne Slayre ~ Charlotte Bronte & Sherri Browning Erwin
The Spaniard's Daughter by Melanie Gifford
Charlaine Harris ~ Dead in the Family (book 10)
Charlaine Harris ~ Dead Reckoning (book 11)
Charlaine Harris ~ Deadlocked (book 12)

Charlaine Harris ~ Dead Ever After (book 13)
Rosamund Lupton ~ Afterwards
Gregory Maguire ~ The Next Queen of Heaven
Carole Matthews ~ Wrapped up in You
Amy Molloy ~ Wife, Interrupted
The Italian Matchmaker by Santa Montefiore
Alison Weir ~ The Lady in the Tower
Elizabeth H. Winthrop ~ December
Cath Staincliffe ~ Looking For Trouble
Cath Staincliffe ~ Witness
Jodi Picoult ~ Between the Lines
Terry Pratchett ~ Dodger

Previous Book Logs

Climbing Mount to be Read with Kat 2012 (26)
Kat's 2011 Reading (25)
What Kat Read Next 2010 (34)
Kat's Reading in 2009 (42)
Kat's Reading 2008 (44)
Kat's Reading 2007 (43)
Kat's Reading 2006 (126)

Bought or Borrowed in 2013

Jodi Picoult ~ Lone Wolf (borrowed from Mum)
Diane Chamberlaine ~ The Midwife's Confession (RISI)
Sue Townsend ~ The Woman Who Went to Bed For a Year (RISI)
Christopher Fowler ~ Spanky (RISI)
Catherynne M. Valente ~ The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (review copy)

Logan Belle ~ Blue Angel (review copy)

Catherynne M. Valente ~ The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (review copy)

Amanda Jennings ~ Sworn Secret (review copy)
Jo Walton ~ Among Others (review copy)
Catherynne M Valente ~ Deathless (review copy)
Cath Staincliffe ~ The Kindest Thing (review copy)

Cath Staincliffe ~ Blink of an Eye (review copy)

Great lists, Kat. :) I hope you have a great reading year in 2013!

(If my post is in the way, please delete.)

Happy reading in 2013 Kat!

Thanks Guys! Can't wait to get started :D

Good variety of genres in those lists Kat, and a few I have read. You will need to get into the attic soon I hope!

Loving the 'TBR (But In The Attic!)' list! :D Happy reading in 2013!

The books in the attic aren't completely un-accessible, I just haven't rebuilt my bookshelves since we moved so it's easier to keep them in their boxes until I have somewhere safe to keep them. And never fear, I always have back up books :D

Monster Love

Carol Topolski

No one in the neighbourhood has seen the Gutteridges' little girl Samantha for months. But Brendan and Sherilyn look happier than ever, so nothing is wrong. Is it?

For the Gutteridges, Samantha was just a thing that threatened to worm its way into their perfect love. For everyone else, her story is the stuff of tabloid headlines. But this time it's not in a newspaper, it's happening right next door . . .

Started: 01/01/13

Finished: 01/01/13

Rated: 3/5

Comments: I've only rated this average as I didn't like the subject matter. This probably sounds silly and you may well ask "why did you read it then?" but it really is quite a well written book. The story is about a 4 year old girl who is abused and murdered by her parents. You are given brief glimpses of what she suffered at their hands, and this is more than enough for you to get the idea. However, the interesting thing is, the story is told in brief statements and recollections of everyone involved, from the neighbours who first alerted the police, to the parents of both of the perpetrators. However, the only person who doesn't get a say is the little girl herself. I read on through today, hoping to find some reasoning behind the crime, some sort of explanation to help ease my mind, but I got to the end of the book and there was none. I suppose this is more true to life than I was expecting as we rarely find any explanation for these crimes. Despite the difficult basis of the story, I would still recommend this as a very well constructed idea which the author pulls off very well.

To Be Read (but in the attic!)

:D Love it! However, it reminds me of The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination from my literature classes... so be very, very careful when you go and get the books! :hide: (Unless, of course, you are referring to yourself? :blush::giggle2: 'Where my books, c'mere!! :theboss:' :giggle:)

Edit: Almost forgot! Have a great reading year in 2013! :D

I keep seeing Ben Aaranovitch popping up on most people's lists, looks like I may have to check out some of his work.

I've only read the first book in his series so far but I really enjoyed it. It's been likened to Harry Potter for grown ups but I think it's better than that ;)

Monster Love sounds interesting... not sure it's something I'd enjoy either but I'm intrigued. I may get an e-copy rather than a treebook, and give it a go.

That's exactly why I picked it up Noll. I wasn't keen on the abuse aspect but I was interested in the butterfly effect. It's definitely worth a read though.

:D Love it! However, it reminds me of The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination from my literature classes... so be very, very careful when you go and get the books! :hide: (Unless, of course, you are referring to yourself? :blush::giggle2: 'Where my books, c'mere!! :theboss:' :giggle:)

Edit: Almost forgot! Have a great reading year in 2013! :D

This actually made me LOL! Although thinking about it, I'm more likely to be the madwoman, rather than finding one up there :D

Lone Wolf

Jodi Picoult

When Luke Warren is involved in a car accident which leaves him in a coma, his family are gathered together against the odds; they face an impossible dilemma.

His daughter Cara is praying for a miracle: she will fight everything and everyone to save her father's life.

His son Edward can't imagine that a man who once ran with wolves could ever be happy with a different life.

But Edward hasn't spoken to Luke for six years. How can he dare to speak on his father's behalf?

Somehow, they must choose:

Do they keep Luke alive?

Or do they let him go?

Started: 04/01/13

Finished: 19/01/13

Comments: This wasn't my favourite Picoult book and at times I found it a bit of a struggle to continue reading, however, towards the end, the pace picked up and overall, I'm glad I persevered. This books asks those age old questions about life and death and how we cope. We are also given a new perspective from that of a wolf pack, thanks to Luke, one of he main characters.

Throughout the book, Luke is in a coma. We follow his story through a series of flashbacks where we learn of his experiences out in the wild, living with the wolves and his struggle to reintegrate himself back into his family. His time with the wolves and the journey he takes to integrate himself with the pack are crazy but touching at the same time. Luke (and in turn, the reader) is taught a great many lessons from these wild animals and their way of life. This aspect of the book, sometimes felt at odds to the ongoing story, but overall was a fantastic way of giving the man in the coma his own voice.

The remainder of the book is written from the conflicting views of his two children, his ex wife and her new husband, and a court appointed guardian. Edward doesn't want to see his father suffer any longer and wants to exercise his fathers wish to be an organ donor. Cara wants her father to be given the chance to pull through and perhaps recover from his injuries. Georgia is pulled back into the life she left a long time ago and is stuck between her two warring children.

I suppose my own personal preferences are quite obvious as, whilst I sympathised with Cara, I thought Edward was in the right. However, I do appreciate that depending on the reader, this will change. Picoult has written the book in such a way that both sides of the story are given equal viewing and she never leans one way or another. This gives the reader the chance to make up their own mind.

Picoult is a master at making us ask ourselves those difficult questions. Which way would you turn? How would you react in this situation? And at the same time, she writes beautifully poignant stories that tie you to the characters and ensure you stay with them every step of the way.

• 3 weeks later...

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

Catherynne M. Valente

September is a twelve-year-old girl, Somewhat Grown and Somewhat Heartless, and she longs for adventure. So when a Green Wind and a Leopard of Little Breezes invite her to Fairyland - well, of course, she accepts (mightn't you?). When she gets there, she finds a land crushed by the iron rule of a villainous Marquess - she soon discovers that she alone holds the key to restoring order. As September forges her way through Fairyland, with a book-loving dragon and a boy named Saturday by her side, she makes many friends and mistakes. But while she loses her shadow, her shoe and her way, she finds adventure, courage, a rather special Spoon, and a lot more besides . . .

Started: 20/01/13

Finished: 27/01/13

Rated: 5/5

Comments:

I can’t rate this book highly enough. It is so lovely and fantastical and magical that my inner child just ate it up. I’m still a little conflicted about the target audience as, for all intents and purposes, it’s a children’s story, but then nestled in amongst the almost lyrical story are words like vichyssoise and talk of diplomatic immunity. My overall thought is that it is a children’s book, but it’s intended to be read out loud by a nominated adult, who, whilst telling this wonderful tale, will get just as much from it as the utterly engrossed listener.

September is one lucky girl. You know that moment, where your imagination runs away with you, and you are taken to a far off world where everything is colourful and magical and nothing like every day, boring life?? Well, September gets to live that!

One day, she is going about her usual tasks and then from nowhere appears the Green Wind riding on a leopard. Without even a backwards glance, September climbs through the window and embarks on a journey to Fairyland and finds herself having in the craziest adventure. Along the way we meet some loveable (and some not so loveable) characters, my favourite being Ell the “Wyvery” (the offspring of a Wyvern and a Library – it all makes sense when you read it!)

The story is engrossing and hurtles along at a very fast pace throughout, although sometimes, I just couldn’t turn the pages quick enough! September’s journey through Fairyland is not all fun and games though, and she has some serious decision making to do on her way, along with a battle or two for survival.

The book leaves the story open enough for September to continue her adventures in Fairyland and I am so pleased to know that there is at least one more adventure for her to have, although I’m definitely hoping for many more.

• 2 months later...

Blue Angel
Logan Belle

The throbbing music, the raucous catcalls, the glamorous costumes, and most of all the sensual skin of burlesque reveal much to the audience, but for Mallory the biggest revelation is her own untapped desire.

When recent law school grad Mallory Dale's boyfriend, Alec, takes her to a burlesque club for her birthday, she is annoyed. Is this a show for her, or for him? But when beautiful, mysterious burlesque star Bette Noir pulls Mallory on stage, Mallory's world changes overnight. Soon, Bette becomes Mallory's private tutor in the tantalizing art of the striptease. Exploring burlesque awakens Mallory's true erotic nature, but if she devotes herself to her new-found sensual pleasures, will she risk losing Alec? Or can she really have it all?

Started: 17/03/13
Finished: 20/03/13
Rated: 4/5
Comments:
On the back of the “50 Shades revolution” we have recently been inundated with books of the more erotic variety.  We experienced something similar a couple of
years ago with the Twilight Saga, and whilst I didn’t really appreciate the originals, I was more than happy to read more of the genre that came to light
in their wake.  In a similar vein, I have read 50 Shades (the less said about that the better, really) and now I’m looking, with interest, at similar books being released in the slip stream.  This one caught my eye as it was burlesque in nature and not BDSM.  Whilst I knew it would still be erotic in nature, I was engaged by the idea of a woman going to a burlesque club and becoming enamoured with the lifestyle.

Unlike many of its predecessors, it’s not about being submissive; this book is more about female empowerment.  The lead character, Mallory, is going through some difficult times in her life and the burlesque scene allows her to deal with her issues and grow as a person and as a woman.  Whilst I understand that this book is from the erotic genre, and by definition, has some very descriptive scenes within it, I personally don’t think they were necessary.  With a few tweaks here and there (of the book, naughty!), I think this could have been a fantastic story in its own right, without the overt sexual content.  My only concern is that the actual story may be overlooked because people are after a naughty thrill.  I hope not though, because there is a genuine talent lurking within.

• 1 month later...

The Midwife's Confession
Diane Chamberlain

Would you read a letter never meant to be opened? Would you want to know secrets never meant to be told?  Or should a woman's mistakes stay buried?  An unfinished letter was hidden amongst Tara and Emerson’s best friend’s things after her suicide. Noelle was the woman they entrusted to deliver their precious babies into the world, a beloved friend. Her suicide shocked them both. But her legacy could destroy them. For her letter reveals a terrible secret that challenges everything they thought they knew. Taking them on a journey that will irrevocably change their own lives – and the life of a desperate stranger – forever.

Started: 01/04/13
Finished: 27/04/13
Comments: I picked up this book after reading and hearing multiple recommendations and I wasn't disappointed.  I can't agree that she is as good as Jodi Picoult but I can appreciate the comparison.  I was a few chapters in before I got a feeling of deja vu and it took me a couple more chapters before I realised why this book was so familiar.  It is incredibly similar to Desperate Housewives, just on a more serious level.

Despite feeling like I already knew the story (which I didn't, for those of you that have seed DH) I still enjoyed it.  There are several twists and turns in the story to keep you on your toes.  Some I had already guessed and some genuinely took me by surprise.

I loved Midwife's confession and like you taken by surpise the twists, but definitely added to the story. I see you Afterwards on you list too...this is another of my reads last year. Hope you enjoy when you come to read it. Have you read her other one 'Sister'?

I've added this to my wishlist, as I really enjoyed Breaking The Silence. Most of her books look interesting and I hope to read more of them in future.

I loved Midwife's confession and like you taken by surpise the twists, but definitely added to the story. I see you Afterwards on you list too...this is another of my reads last year. Hope you enjoy when you come to read it. Have you read her other one 'Sister'?

I'm glad to hear/read you enjoyed The Midwife's Confession :).

It does seem to be incredibly popular at the moment and I don't think I've heard any bad reviews from anyone.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more of her books.

Inver I have read Sister and it was brilliant.  As soon as I finished it I added Afterwards to my wanted list!

Something from Tiffany's

Melissa Hill

Doesn't every girl dream of getting . . . something from Tiffany's?
It's Christmas Eve. And on 5th Avenue in New York City, two very different men are shopping for gifts for the women they love.
Gary is buying his girlfriend Rachel a charm bracelet. Partly to thank her for paying for their holiday-of-a-lifetime to New York. But mainly because he's left his Christmas shopping far too late.
Whereas Ethan's looking for something a little more special - an engagement ring for the first woman to have made him happy since he lost the love of his life.
But when the two men's shopping bags get confused, and Rachel somehow ends up with Ethan's ring, the couples' lives become intertwined. And, as Ethan tries to reunite the ring with the woman it was actually intended for, he finds it trickier than expected.
Does fate have other ideas for the couples? Or is there simply a bit of Tiffany's magic in the air . . .

Started: 30/04/13
Finished: 02/05/13
Comments: Having not being able to concentrate on reading for a few months, I was looking for something light and fanciful to get the old reading juices flowing again and this was perfect for me.  Whilst I was a little frustrated at the roundabout ways in which the characters dealt with the circumstances that had arisen, I was able to suspend my own beliefs long enough to enjoy this story.  It has everything in there for a good read; A little bit of mystery, a few good twists, a little splash of romance and magic and of course, a little blue box from Tiffany's.  Definitely recommended for light, enjoyable reading.

The Life
Martina Cole

The Bailey brothers are gangsters determined to make their mark in the world. Peter and Daniel are chalk and cheese in many ways - Peter's calm exterior belies his ruthless nature, while Daniel's penchant for spectacular violence is legendary - but together they are unstoppable. From the late seventies they rule London's East End and, when their sons join the business, it seems that no one can touch the powerful Baileys. Although it's never easy at the top; there is always someone waiting to take you down - sometimes even those closest to you... Lena Bailey is determined to shield her youngest child Tania from the Life. But when a terrible tragedy occurs, Tania's eyes are opened to their world in a way that forces her to make an irrevocable choice that will determine her future.

Martina Cole's gritty and gripping new novel is an unflinching portrait of a family torn apart by violence and betrayal, but ultimately bound by loyalty, by blood, and by a burning desire for revenge... It is a story of the Life, told as only Martina Cole can.

Started: 03/05/13
Finished: 10/05/13
Comments: Martina Cole never fails to disappoint me with her books.  I love her tales of the criminal underbelly and the way she brings generation after generation of families to life.  You really get invested in them.  This book had a very sinister undertone to it which was mainly due to the character of Daniel.  His unpredictable bouts of violence were a constant threat through the story and you never knew when he was going to lose it or what consequences this would have for his family.  Whilst I understand these books are not everyone's cup of tea, I can't get enough of them and always get excited when a new book is published.  The only problem for me is the wait in between. :(