Andrea's reading 2013

~Andrea~

Robin Hobb is one of my favourite fantasy authors - I have read the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies multiple times! Farseer is one of my favourite series ever read. i also read the Solider Sun trilogy, which wasn't too bad.

I am currently collecting the Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb. Just need book four to come into small paperback before I start it.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to the Tawny Man trilogy (once I've got through the Live Ship one, goodness knows how long that will take me!). I only learned the other day how many books she'd written, and they're all so long! She's so prolific.

I've yet to read the live ship trader trilogy yet, I bought them at the same time as the tawny man lot but was too excited to find out what went on after the Farseer trilogy, that i skipped over them, :giggle2:

I saw on your currently reading list that you're listening to Wuthering Heights Andrea .. who's narrating? I've heard it read a number of times and they've all been good. The audio opened up the book to me because I couldn't get on with it before .. mostly I couldn't understand what Joseph was saying :D After hearing it I went straight back and read it and it was all as clear as day :) I've listened to it several times since though .. every time I see a new narration. Hope you're enjoying it  .. dark, dark story but brilliant  :) (but I love Kate Bush so much that there was no way I wasn't going to like this story .. I practically made myself like it :D)

Hi Poppy. Juliet Stevenson is narrating and doing a very good job. It's an abridged version unfortunately (or fortunately as I seem to remember the book being rather long-winded in places, but this has been chopped rather keenly) I am enjoying it but I've had to stop listening as my croatian phrase book with CD has turned up and I've ousted Wuthering Heights for that I'm afraid. I guess I won't pick it up again until after my holiday (although I suppose I could put WH on my ipod and take it with - there's a thought.) But yes it's great. And I love the Kate Bush song too - I remember it came on the radio when I'd just finished reading it in my early twenties and I was in heaven listening to it. I watched a youtube video of Kate Bush WH recently, and my goodness but that girl is bonkers!

Oh .. Juliet Stevenson could read a cornflake packet and make it sound amazing :) I love her audios. The first version I listened to was abridged too (Daniel Massey .. Anna's brother) .. the best unabridged one I've heard was read by Patricia Routledge .. I hadn't great hopes for it actually but she was brilliant.

Yes Kate is bonkers .. there's no denying it. I watch her on youtube all the time. Her Hammersmith concert is amazing but not out on DVD yet .. still!! and it won't be long before I have no player to play the video on :( 

Hope you have a lovely time in Croatia :) 

She's really good. I'll def be on the lookout for more audio books by her. Hmm I'm quite tempted by the Patricia Routledge one now too :P. Aw it's horrible when technology becomes obsolete. I still have cassettes and LPs that I can't listen to but can't bear to throw away. And thank you, I'm really looking forward to it x

Have fun in Croatia!

I also like the Kate Bush song, I haven't read the book nor do I know much about it (it is on my shelf though), but my dad used to listen to this song a lot (he has an album of her but I don't know the title or which other songs are on it).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I arrived back from Croatia (which was lovely and I highly recommend it) and am now half way through Ship of Magic which I am thoroughly absorbed by and enjpying immensely. I wonder if I will enjoy reading it in Newport as much i as I did on looking out over the adriatic sea *sigh*

Well I arrived back from Croatia (which was lovely and I highly recommend it) and am now half way through Ship of Magic which I am thoroughly absorbed by and enjpying immensely. I wonder if I will enjoy reading it in Newport as much i as I did on looking out over the adriatic sea *sigh*

:lol:

Have you got the sequels lined up Andrea?  I read Ship of Magic a couple of years ago but, for some reason, have never got around to reading the other two.  They're sitting on the shelf glaring at me :D

Pleased to report that I'm really enjoying Jekyll and Hyde. The story is great, the audio narration good enough.

I'm very happy to hear this, I was so anxious the first time round when you weren't :D Happy days! :smile2:

Hi Steve, I have indeed, well OH has the other two, so I'll get to them soon I hope. Was it the length that put you off lol? She certainly seems to like writing tomes!

I don't think there was anything in particular that put me off - I like long books, I think I just got distracted by other authors and haven't gone back yet.  I will sooner or later, though!  Looking forward to seeing what you think of them :smile:

Ok Steve  , 

I give.

Been meaning to ask what all the letter symbols are below your sig ... Sorry, I'll probably sound stupid for asking ,but I've been wondering about them for days now .

Thanks --

I think they are abbreviations of book titles? GotM could be Gardens of the Moon, one of the books of Steve's beloved Malazan book series. I don't know if this is the case for all of them, but the abbreviations seem to match up with titles of books in the series. This is my guess anyway, let's see what Steve says :).

Yeah, it's the recommended reading order of the Malazan books.  I've put it there to remind myself where Ian Esslemont's books fit into the sequence, cos I'm planning on starting my third read through fairly soon :smile: