Andrea's reading 2013

~Andrea~

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Chocky last night. It was an enjoyable little book although it was quite dialogue heavy and I did feel a little too much of the story came through dialogue. A little more description and narration would have broken it up a bit. It was almost like reading a play. But the story itself, of a boy who acquires a so called imaginary friend, is quite engaging and I did like it. It didn't really have the same depth or excitement as The Day of the Triffids though.

Also in my ebook version the last 7 words were missing so I had to look them up online today :roll:

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 'The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year' audio book the other day.

At the beginning I quite enjoyed it, it was a bit different, sometimes humourous and I was interested to see where the story would go. By the end though, I felt it had become so ridiculous I couldn't wait for the silly thing to end.

I didn't really engage with or like any of the characters - although towards the beginning I thought I would. Nobody was very nice in it, and most people seemed pretty selfish. For the most part I couldn't really sympathise with the main character and several things didn't ring true for me, like

why did Brian and Eva get married in the first place? They didn't even seem to like each other. And I thought that the crowds coming to visit Eva was ridiculous.

I was glad when the book ended.

I'm late to comment this, and I don't remember that much about the details of the book, but like you I thought it was enjoyable at first, I thought the idea was great, too, and it was promising. But it seemed to start to lag at some point. I don't think it was consistent. And I don't think I could relate to any of the characters either. Such a shame, I've enjoyed Townsend's other novels. I mean it wasn't all that bad but certainly not her best, either.

I started listening to Jekyll and Hyde but for some reason I'm really struggling with it.

That's a shame! It's quite a short story, so it'll be over soon, at least. Do you not like the story? Or the narrative, or the audio narrator?

Oops - bought another book today - still it comes from my gift voucher credit on my kobo account so it doesn't count: A very short Introduction to Metaphysics by Stephen Mumford. Another light read :S

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finished "A very short Introduction to Metaphysics" by Stephen Mumford which I thoroughly enjoyed. It really does only just scratch the surface of metaphysics and I still can't decide whether it's a pointless subject or not, (and that goes for philosophy in general I suppose) but it does fascinate me so I'm sure it's a subject I'll visit again.

I also finally finished "The Everlasting Man" by G K Chesterton, which is was an unusual book. It's kind of a history of Christianity, or a presentation of the impact of Christianity on human history which on the whole I liked. However at times it was quite heavy-going and often dated and the language not very PC (but then it was written in 1925). It's partly a response to popular ideas on human evolution at the time and to a book by H G Wells in particular ("Outline of History") so some of the points being made seemed specific and a bit esoteric but perhaps would have made more sense had I read the book it was responding to.

I've given up on The Four Loves as I wasn't enjoying it. Might pick it up later. I'm about quarter through "The men and the girls" which I'm going to focus on exclusively as I'm fed up of having had so many books on the go for such a long time, although I am still listening to Little Women on audio but very near the end!

Once I'm done with those two I think I'll have another push at "The Making of Modern Britain" and finally get back to reading one book at a time again (or at least one reading one audio)

Edited by ~Andrea~

Hello Andrea! We talked about John Harwood in Janet's thread, so when I today somehow, while googling for a book about an asylum, came by a book by him called The Asylum, thought of you and wondered if you were aware that he's written a new book and it's out this year, or has been already released? I'm not sure, there being different dates for different countries and me not having a cup of coffee yet :D I just thought I'd come here and mention it :)

Yes I did know about that. I will definitely be getting it at some point. I can't remember when it's out here, *rushes to check* ooh looks like it's available on kobo 20th June. I'm pretty strict with book buying and am quite a slow reader but once I've got through a bit more of my TBR I'll pick it up (well download it). I'm certain I'll get to it this year, probably one for the autumn/winter, nothing like a good spine-chiller when the nights are drawing in. Thanks for the info though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Men and the Girls by Joanna Trollope last night. This is the story of two couples, as the title hints, younger women in relationships with older men. Both relationships go through a bit of a crisis at the same time, and this is the story of how things unfold. Julia, a TV researcher is married to Hugh, a TV presenter and Kate, lives with James and her teenager daughter. Their relationship starts to wobble when James strikes up a firendship with a much older woman, whom he accidentally knocks off a bicycle.

I really enjoyed this and I wasn't really expecting to. I'd read one of hers before, Other People's Children, and while I liked it, I found the drama too domestic, and not escapist enough (escapism is the usual sort of fiction I go for). This one was exactly the same in tone, but this time I loved it. I guess it shows you just really have to be in the mood for a book sometimes. I loved the humanness of the characters, and the way you rooted for them in spite of their flaws. My favourite character was Kate, as I found myself able to sympathise with her the most; my least favourite was probably Beatrice. I didn't really 'get' her and she didn't really come to life in my mind.

I picked this up in a charity shop years ago and had been putting it off. I'm really glad I picked it up and will definitely look out for more Trollope in the future.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Right, got back into Making of Modern Britain last night and I'm determined to finish Part 3 before I start or continue with anything else, with the exception of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner which I started and nearly completed on Saturday while I was waiting to have new tyres fitted.

Finished The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Little Women (which annoyingly turned out to be part 1 only) and have started Jekyll and Hyde (audio)  again. This time I'm enjoying it much more though I would say I'm not loving Christopher Lee's narration (it's not terrible but not fantastic either)

Pleased to report that I'm really enjoying Jekyll and Hyde. The story is great, the audio narration good enough.

I ordered "Seeking Spirituality" by Ronald Ronheiser the other day, which should arrive on Monday.

Finished Jekyll and Hyde yesterday. It's a fantastic little story. I'm almost annoyed I didn't read it rather than listen though. I did get used to Christopher Lee's narration by the end. I think I found his voice, when straight reading the prose, a little drawling. The acted bits (i.e. the dialogue) were very good though.

I also finished Part 3 of The Making of Modern Britain, which means I can now get back to A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.

I finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness yesterday. It was quite different to what I was expecting and I was almost disappointed to start with that it wasn't dark enough. However it turned out to be a great little book, with brilliant illustrations and it had me in tears more than once. Recommended.

Started A Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb on Saturday which is going to be my holiday read. At over 800 pages it should keep me going lol.

I hope you like it! Have you read any other books by Robin Hobb? (apologies if this has been mentioned before :blush:) I have most of her books on my shelf but not read any yet, because they are series and I didn't want to start a new fantasy series until I've finished an old one (ie. Wheel of Time). However I did start A Game of Thrones because I started to watch the TV series.. I look forward to read your thoughts on A Ship of Magic :).

Hi Athena, no need to apologise :) Yes I have read 3 other Robin Hobb books, all from the farseer trilogy and I loved them. I know she has written loads of series, so I don't know which ones are best but I can definitely recommend the Farseer trilogy. It was a great read. I know what you mean though. I read the 3 farseer books with a fair gap between each one. But they are so readable I'm sure you'd rattle through them.

How are you enjoying A Game of Thrones? I haven't read those but enjoy the TV series. My OH is reading the books and loves them.

I'm glad to hear you really liked the Farseer trilogy :)! I think I will start with that one, since she wrote that first if I'm correct (that's how they're arranged on my shelf anyway). Nice to hear that they're not hard to read.

I loved A Game of Thrones! I plan on reading the second book soon. I love the book more than the TV series, while the TV series is good, the book adds more scenes and details that made things clearer for me, that added to the story. You already know the main parts of the plot if you've seen the TV series though of course. I hope you have fun reading the books if you decide to read them sometime.