Top 10 books of 2012 for fans of New Orleans- and Louisiana-set tales

pontalba

I found an article that I thought might be of interest to some. I have a couple of the books already, but will be purchasing more.

http://www.nola.com/books/index.ssf/2012/12/top_ten_books_of_2012_for_fans.html#cmpid=nwsltrhead

New Orleans is such an interesting, different sort of city for so many reasons.

I'm enjoying exploring it myself. :D

Cool -- I have one already --

A Case for Solomon --

Wouldn't you know that I'd pick the true crime one ? Have it waiting for me on my Kindle . There are so many really good writers from the South. They seem to be able to spin a yarn better than anyone ,don't they ?

Brian, glad you like it. :D There are a few more that are not on the list that I have and would recommend. Last Days of Last Island by Bill Dixon and The Last Madam: A Life In The New Orleans Underworld by Chris Wiltz.

Julie, while it's true Southerners can spin a yarn, for example William Faulkner comes to mind, there are others that are more my favorites, non-Southerners. Vladimir Nabokov and John Banville especially come to mind. I didn't become interested in Southern writers till a few years ago, I was actually kind of prejudiced against them. Dumb, yeah, dumb. :) I've, thankfully, overcome that and truly enjoy them now. In fact I just finished The Bayou Trilogy, (see review on my thread) and really enjoyed it. Although I don't know that "enjoyed" is actually the correct adjective. :roll: lol

• 4 months later...

Very interesting list. 'The Not Yet' was the one that waved back to me as I browsed the list. I have three books waiting impatiently for me at this moment in time. I think a fourth has just stepped in at the back! :) Thank you for sharing, Pontalba.

I have to mention one of my favorite mystery series, James Sallis's Lew

Griffin, Private Investigator novels, set in the French Quarter of New

Orleans.

Ho!  Thanks for the suggestion!  Just ordered it.  :) Looks good.

Very interesting list. 'The Not Yet' was the one that waved back to me as I browsed the list. I have three books waiting impatiently for me at this moment in time. I think a fourth has just stepped in at the back! :) Thank you for sharing, Pontalba.

I'm glad!  :D  I just ordered it too....I'd completely forgotten.  :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

Orleans.

Read and enjoyed the long-legged fly, thanks!  I've put a review on my book thread here.

• 3 weeks later...

Orleans.

Sophiagia, I wonder if you've read any more of Sallis's books?  I just finished his Death Will Have Your Eyes and loved it.  I can certainly recommend his other books besides the Lew Griffin series.