Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Okay, I think these will be mine . . . might need to fine tune a bit but, for now . . .

Dear lord, you are fast! What with the wannabe Russian literature book group and writing the rest of last year's reviews I'd totally forgotten about this for the timebeing!

And bloody hell, I think I will have a difficult time choosing a book. Surely you remembered that I have Storm Front on my wishlist, as well as Bitter Seeds (and coincidentally, thanks to your reviews)? And you may not have remembered this, but I have The Winter King on my wishlist as well, and again, it's thanks to you that it's there... This is three books I have a hard time choosing from, and I've not even had a proper look at the other three novels :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to throw in that The Winter King is AMAZING. I haven't read the other two in the trilogy yet, and I wanna go back and reread TWK before I move on, but it's easily one of my favourite Arthurian novels and I love Arthurian fiction. Really fantastic stuff.

Just wanted to throw in that The Winter King is AMAZING. I haven't read the other two in the trilogy yet, and I wanna go back and reread TWK before I move on, but it's easily one of my favourite Arthurian novels and I love Arthurian fiction. Really fantastic stuff.

All three books are amazing, you'll love the other two I'm sure! It's one of the best - if not the best - trilogies I've yet read :smile:

Sari, there's no rush. Well, there's plenty of Rush, just no rush on this :giggle2:

Plenty of Rush is always a good thing! :D

:D Indeed!

Well my library thread was a hit. Not. :rolleyes: Oh well - you win some, you lose some.

Awww, maybe everyone's just eager to wait to see other people's pics, maybe they don't realise they should get posting themselves! I'm going to see if I can find pics of my libraries :yes:

Well my library thread was a hit. Not. :rolleyes: Oh well - you win some, you lose some.

Give it time! I have already been thinking about the libraries in my area, but I have to go and take some pics first. :)

I didn't see it last time I was on the forum, for some reason!

I've added The Terror to my wishlist, I've read two other books by Dan Simmons and they were great so I'm hoping this one will be good too.

I haven't, because they've had discussion about them in here and it will interrupt the flow, but please post them again in the thread I've just started as I'm sure plenty of other people would like to appreciate the beauty of it. :)

Yeah let's leave the picture there so I can remind myself where I need to be some day :D I can't wait to see the library thread though! Devi, post the pictures on there, too, please! :)

Sure will! I've already started to upload some to photobucket, I'll post them up after I sleep. :)

Edited by Devi

Bitter Seeds has been on my wishlist from your first review of it, The Winter King is on my TBR pile. The Terror sounds good but not in this weather :cold:

Haha, you could actually do the challenge, too, and it wouldn't even be a real challenge for you because you normally read the kind of books Karsa reads :D

Thanks for the second opinion, good to know it's not just Karsa who likes the book :giggle:

Sari, there's no rush. Well, there's plenty of Rush, just no rush on this :giggle2:

Plenty of Rush to go around :friends3: I'm currently in the middle of writing my memoirs for last years reading log, once I'm done with that I'm going to take a closer look at the books you've thrown at me. And thanks, by the way, I'm pretty excited about the challenge, even more so than last year because I now know that I can actually read at least some of the stuff you do :) I'll also be looking into my own books read list to see which one's shall go towards your challenge. Muahahaah! :D

I've added The Terror to my wishlist, I've read two other books by Dan Simmons and they were great so I'm hoping this one will be good too.

I'm pleased that the challenge is providing other members with suggestions of books to read, too :D

Was I supposed to supply page numbers?? That's a new rule that you didn't bother telling me about

Didn't you get my memo?? :banghead:

:D

Here you go :P

The Winter King - 512 pages

Storm Front - 336 pages

The Terror - 944 pages

The Wine of Angels - 640 pages

The Breach - 384 pages

Bitter Seeds - 432 pages

:lol: Well thank you, you're now officially forgiven :yes:

:giggle2:

Oh no Laura you didn't! ... :D Well that's only three books, you can still manage it just fine :yes: It's not a lost cause! Just keep off the amazon page and walk around town with blindfolds so you won't be looking at all them gorgeous books in the windows of bookshops... :giggle:

hehe well i suppose three books is better than 30, and as i finished another book last night it only counts as two hehe! I'm trying to stay away from all the shops and websites but it just seems that there are so many nice books about now! hehe!

Have been having probs with the computer today, blue screening -> collapse and haven't been able to do anything, let's see how long I'll last this time :hide:

Checked the mail today, I have two notes saying I have a big package in the mail office :o Crap! I wish I'd noticed the notes sooner, office was already closed for the day when I spotted them and it's not open tomorrow :( I think the other book will be the book I asked ex to order for me, I don't know what the other one is. Sweet!

Have been having probs with the computer today, blue screening -> collapse and haven't been able to do anything, let's see how long I'll last this time :hide:

:(

On the plus side, this'll give you time to read all the books on my challenge list :o:giggle2:

:(

On the plus side, this'll give you time to read all the books on my challenge list :o:giggle2:

Hah! Is that ever true. When the computer is down for whatever reason, our reading count goes up. :roll::lol:

Well for me, I sometimes have spent quite some time trying to fix it, too. When my computer doesn't work well, I'm very stressed and I really want to fix it asap. I don't think I read more then, personally. But I can understand how some of you may read more :).

I want to fix it asap, too, and I feel quite like without my right arm when I don't have my computer. Have been able to read, though, but I'd rather I didn't have to stress over the comp. I need to do so many different kinds of things with it.

hehe well i suppose three books is better than 30, and as i finished another book last night it only counts as two hehe! I'm trying to stay away from all the shops and websites but it just seems that there are so many nice books about now! hehe!

Three is definitely better than 30 :D How have you been doing after your last post? You haven't been to any bookshops, have you? :giggle:

I've added The Terror by Dan Simmons and The Warlord Chronicles to my wishlist!

Karsa, it looks like your reading list is more popular, more people have added books on your list to their wishlist, I don't think any have added any of mine :D And you always complain about how people don't read enough sci-fi/fantasy :P

Okay, I think I'm officially back, my computer problems seem to have evaporated into the thin air.... It was getting really annoying, especially since this morning the computer had accumulated a whole new problem: whenever I would start charging the battery, the screen would go black. Like, what the heck.... Well a friend of mine came over and sorted that out, as well as the other problem which made my computer crash every five minutes or so: it appears that my laptop wasn't too happy with me having two different virus control programs, and that caused all the problems. Which sucks because I didn't want to have the other program on my computer anymore and I never re-subscribed to it after the one month trial period was over... I don't know if this is really here or there but the program that was causing the problems is McAfee, which seems to have caused some of you other members problems when trying to come on here. Stupid McAfee!

Moving on... (and putting on the new album by Riverside...)

Karsa, I never got a chance to comment on the choices on your reading list. I don't know if you didn't know or had forgotten, but I added The Winter King to my wishlist some time ago because of your review on it. And I also have Storm Front on my wishlist as well as Bitter Seeds, because of your reviews, but they were added quite recently so you should've remembered that :D

As for the rest of the titles, I really like the sound of The Wine of Angels and I wouldn't put it past me to read The Terror, as well. The novel that would be the most difficult for me is The Breach, I don't think I would go for that of my own accord, so in a way that makes me think I should go for that in the first place. But I haven't decided yet.

The only copy available at the library is The Winter King, though. I know I said I weren't to buy any books til summer, but I thought about it more and decided some time ago that I'm going to allow myself to buy book for reading circles and some reading challenges, if there are ones that I would really like to read. So I might purchase a copy of the book I'm eventually going to go for. When that will be, I'm not sure, because I don't have any extra cash at the moment.

You'll be happy to know, though, that I have placed a wish for the library to acquire a copy of Storm Front :D I haven't heard from them, I don't remember if they respond to the wishes by e-mails or if they just go and order the books or decide against not ordering, and then I'm just supposed to look out for it myself.

I went to the post office this Monday to get the two packages that were waiting for me. The other one was the book ex ordered for me on play.com, but that's not going on the TBR list.

The other package was from Brian., thank you! :D:flowers2: I had a feeling it might be from you, as we'd talked about you sending me the copy of The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, but I wasn't sure if you had been so quick to send it to me. Thanks, I'm very much looking forward to it! And thanks for the choccies, they were rather instantly consumed by myself, yum yum :giggle2:

I also went to the library that day, and library guru was there, too, which was great. I've been going in every now and then and I've always checked the children's section to see if she's there, but unfortunately I haven't been able to cross paths with her in months. It was great catching up with her, I asked her what was new and what's been up and we did a bit of gossiping. She'd thought I had stopped coming to the library because she hadn't seen me in ages. I immediately corrected her on the matter and told her the library's not seen the last of me :D

She had to do a bit of work, obviously, so when she was attending to a customer I started browsing through the books for sale -trolley. There were copies of the Harry Potter books! There were two copies of The Half-Blood Prince, the other one was in a very poor condition, the spine had totally gone awol from the actual pages and I pointed it out to library guru and she said lordy lord, that shouldn't be in the for sale trolley. I took out my list of bought books from my wallet to see if I already had a Finnish copy of TH-BP, which I did, and then guru remembered they had one other Potter book to be put to sales and got it out for me from the back room. Turned out I did have a copy of TH-BP, but didn't have a copy of The Order of the Phoenix which she had produced for me and so I was pretty stoked :D I know I've said I'm not going to buy books, but this was for 20cnt, and it's a book I've read so it doesn't go to my TBR pile, so I didn't hesitate to buy it :yes:

I don't think I told you guys but the Russian literature reading group was a bit of a bust last week, there were less than 10 people attending and they were mostly old people. Only one young dude went in so I thought I wouldn't bother. And they met in this small room and I thought it's not comfy enough for me, screw this. There goes that plan of meeting future Mr Frankie :D However: there's a new temp working at the library, he was there when I was talking to guru, and bloody hell he was mighty cute :giggle2: He seemed like he might be a bit on the young side, but... it's not illegal to oggle a bit, is it? I might have to go and visit guru a bit more often in the future....

Edit: I read two books off TBR while I was away from the forum, but the book Brian sent me is going on TBR, so now it's only -1 book off TBR list!