Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Devi, that library is one big ass library :o All the libraries in eastern Finland would probably fit under that... I can feel the silence inside and the respectful atmosphere... I would probably be too humbled to tell a dirty joke inside the library :blush:

Oh I know! As my bf said, you wouldn't be able to fluff in there without anyone hearing it. Lets just say, I wasn't impressed with that comment! :giggle2: Each side has a reading wing with big desks, tables and even more books! I think if you can't find a book in there, then you aren't looking hard enough!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I know! As my bf said, you wouldn't be able to fluff in there without anyone hearing it. Lets just say, I wasn't impressed with that comment! :giggle2:

:D I'm happy your BF is diplomatic and polite enough to notice that about the library and therefore abstain from doing it! :lol:

Am I still meant to be coming up with a 'challenge' list for you, frankie? Cos if I am I need to start thinking about it :hide:

I don't know, do you want to be challenged again? :) I wouldn't mind doing another challenge, but only if you're interested, too!

I've just noticed on my FB wall that the main library is hosting a reading group that's starting today! It's about 'crossing the boundaries' and they are going to be doing modern Russian literature (that's been translated to Finnish). They'll also be discussing the Russian culture etc.

I really want to go, but I don't know whom to ask to go with me on such short notice and I don't want to go alone... But I also don't want to ask just anyone, I would like to go with someone who's equally interested themselves. But I might have to go alone... The thought of it's really scary, I haven't been very sociable lately. And yet it might be really exciting... I might pop in and see the turn out and make my decision of going in after I've seen how many are attending. And if they seem a friendly bunch.

Or if there are cute guys there... :giggle:

Could be the perfect way to meet someone! Obviously they are there for the same reason, so there is the ice breaker.

Edited by Devi

I don't know, do you want to be challenged again? :) I wouldn't mind doing another challenge, but only if you're interested, too!

Sure, why not? There might be a couple from last year I want to include again, though :lol:

Or if there are cute guys there... :giggle:

Well if you'd given me a bit more notice . . . :giggle2:

Could be the perfect way to meet someone! Obviously they are there for the same reason, so there is the ice breaker.

I know, right! Also, all the other reading groups are either not-free (as in you need to pay to get in), or they are for senior citizens or something like that. This is open for all, and it's free, and I would definitely like to know more about Russia, Russians and Russian literature :)

But I have this feeling that there are only going to be people in their 60s :shrug: So no future Mr Frankies there, me thinks.

Sure, why not? There might be a couple from last year I want to include again, though :lol:

I'm thinking we should go with all new title :yes: I can still go back to last year's challenge anyways, this would only be an all new one? :)

Well if you'd given me a bit more notice . . . :giggle2:

... you could've flown over and go with me and be my wingman? Give dating advice and look out for me, so that I won't go falling in love with some player? Aww thanks, that's considerate!

:D

I'm thinking we should go with all new title :yes: I can still go back to last year's challenge anyways, this would only be an all new one? :)

Okay :smile: I have a couple in mind. I suppose I have to stick to sf/fantasy, do I? :D

... you could've flown over and go with me and be my wingman? Give dating advice and look out for me, so that I won't go falling in love with some player? Aww thanks, that's considerate!

Yeah, cos I'm great with dating advice :lol:

Okay :smile: I have a couple in mind. I suppose I have to stick to sf/fantasy, do I? :D

Yep, I guess that was the initial idea :D And I'm to stick to normal books that normal people read :yes:

:giggle2:

Yeah, cos I'm great with dating advice :lol:

Oh man, now I'm really sorry you can't come!

Yep, I guess that was the initial idea :D And I'm to stick to normal books that normal people read :yes:

:giggle2:

Oi, if you're going to diss my books do it in your own thread! :banghead:

Oh ... wait ... this is your own thread :lol:

:lol:

I've figured out three. You're okay with first books in series? :shrug:

Hm... I don't know, I guess it depends on the length of the series and if they can be read as standalones.... and what the series is? :giggle2::D Want to share examples?

Hm... I don't know, I guess it depends on the length of the series and if they can be read as standalones.... and what the series is? :giggle2::D Want to share examples?

Not yet, I'll come up with five first :smile:

You can move my posts there if you like!

I haven't, because they've had discussion about them in here and it will interrupt the flow, but please post them again in the thread I've just started as I'm sure plenty of other people would like to appreciate the beauty of it. :)

Thanks Laura, I'm absolutely positive you can do it, too! :friends3: And I can't believe we are at the same situation: we have both 35 books now to read so we can get to our target! We should definitely spur each other on and encougage each other to keep at it =) It's a lot nicer to know you're in the same situation so I don't have to go it alone :yes:

We can do this :D Well i did have 35 books to read . . . until i downloaded 3 more freebies for the kindle :( I've decided now that I'm not going to even look at the amazon page until I've managed to hit under 400! Good luck though and i know that by the end of the year we can do this :D

Okay. I'm also thinking of books for you. I have a few tentative choices already. :)

Okay, I think these will be mine . . . might need to fine tune a bit but, for now . . .

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (first in a trilogy)

In the dark ages, a legendary warrior struggles to unite Britain . . .

Uther, the High King of Britain, has died, leaving the infant Mordred as his only heir. His uncle, the loyal and gifted warlord Arthur, now rules as caretaker for a country which has fallen into chaos - threats emerge from within the British kingdoms while vicious Saxon armies stand ready to invade. As he struggles to unite Britain and hold back the Saxon enemy, Arthur is embroiled in a doomed romance with beautiful Guinevere. Will the old-world magic of Merlin be enough to turn the tide of war in his favour?

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (first in the Dresden Files series)

Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P.I. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in.

Harry is the best at what he does - and not just because he's the only one who does it. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal capabilities, they look to him for answers. There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks.

So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get . . . interesting.

Magic - it can get a guy killed.

The Terror by Dan Simmons

The men on board Her Britannic Majesty's Ships Terror and Erebus had every expectation of triumph. They were part of Sir John Franklin's 1845 expedition - as scientifically advanced an enterprise as had ever set forth - and theirs were the first steam-driven vessels to go in search of the fabled North-West Passage.

But the ships have now been trapped in the Arctic ice for nearly two years. Coal and provisions are running low. Yet the real threat isn't the constantly shifting landscape of white or the flesh-numbing temperatures, dwindling supplies or the vessels being slowly crushed by the unyielding grip of the frozen ocean.

No, the real threat is far more terrifying. There is something out there that haunts the frigid darkness, which stalks the ships, snatching one man at a time - mutilating, devouring. A nameless thing, at once nowhere and everywhere, this terror has become the expedition's nemesis.

The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman (first book in the Merrily Watkins series)

Merrily Watkins: late thirties, single mum, parish priest. Cosy? I don't think so...

The new vicar had never wanted a picture-postcard parish - or a huge and haunted vicarage. Nor had she wanted to walk into a dispute over a controversial play about a seventeenth-century clergyman accused of witchcraft... a story that certain long-established families would rather remained obscure.

But this is Ledwardine, steeped in cider and secrets...

A paradise of cobbled streets and timber-framed houses. And also - as Merrily Watkins and her teenage daughter, Jane, discover - a village where horrific murder is a tradition that spans centuries.

The Breach by Patrick Lee (Breach trilogy book 1)

Travis Chase, a man putting his life back together after fifteen years in prison, takes a solo hike into the Alaskan Rockies. He's just looking for a quiet place to think about his future, but what he finds is trouble: a 747, downed in remote wilderness, the wreck impossibly undiscovered by authorities. Those aboard are dead, though not because of the crash. They've been shot.

This aircraft, along with the terrifying object it was transporting, is only the beginning for Travis. Within hours he finds himself at the center of a violent conflict that spans the globe, and a secret war that dates back three decades. A war for possession of radically advanced technology—that wasn't created by human hands.

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis (Milkweed Tryptich book 1)

The year is 1939. Raybould Marsh and other members of British Intelligence have gathered to watch a damaged reel of film in a darkened room. It appears to show German troops walking through walls, bursting into flames and hurling tanks into the air from afar.

If the British are to believe their eyes, a twisted Nazi scientist has been endowing German troops with unnatural, unstoppable powers. And Raybould will be forced to resort to dark methods to hold the impending invasion at bay.

But dealing with the occult exacts a price. And that price must be paid in blood.

Ian Tregillis' Bitter Seeds is a chilling masterpiece - a tale of a twentieth century like our own and also profoundly different.

:smile:

Yes, I know there are six . . . :D

Good luck with reducing your TBR Frankie! Looks like you've got some great reads ahead.

Thanks Alexi! :) The joy of it all is that I won't be collecting any more of 'spur of the moment' book buys in secondhand bookshops, but instead I will read books off the TBR and if I concentrate on the books I've been wanting to read for ages, I think I could go a long way with good books :) I'm pretty excited! :)

We can do this :D Well i did have 35 books to read . . . until i downloaded 3 more freebies for the kindle :( I've decided now that I'm not going to even look at the amazon page until I've managed to hit under 400! Good luck though and i know that by the end of the year we can do this :D

Oh no Laura you didn't! ... :D Well that's only three books, you can still manage it just fine :yes: It's not a lost cause! Just keep off the amazon page and walk around town with blindfolds so you won't be looking at all them gorgeous books in the windows of bookshops... :giggle: