Frankie reads 2013

frankie

As a new forum member and given that we have not yet shared a thread, I feel a little cheeky writing this. However, like a magpie attracted to shiny things, 'Librocubicularist' caught my attention. I have to say that describing yourself as a Librocubicularist is simply brilliant! :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frankie posted: The antibiotics are apparently pretty hardcore stuff, because I have to take three pills a day when normally you have to take one or two. I could honestly feel the struggle between the bacteria and the meds in my sinuses. But I had an amazing night of sleep, I got me some good rest. I'm feeling very optimistic about getting better!

Verra happy to hear it!  :flowers2:

I know I said I was getting better... but now I'm thinking it was my optimism and good will... Basically I'm feeling the same except that I don't have problems breathing because I have my inhalators which are a real help. It's coming to six weeks tomorrow!! :rolleyes: I know this year the flu's taking a lot longer and it's more awful than the previous years, but ... how long am I supposed to take it? And yet the antibiotics I thought would do the trick didn't do anything for me in the end.

I mean I don't have fever, but there's just so much phlegm in there that sometimes (for example, now) I can't breathe through my nose and have to have my mouth open :rolleyes: I've really tried to be optimistic about it, and just think that it's taking a lot longer this time, but ... I don't know...

x
My mum told me that there are three different flues going on at the moment, one of which is the Mexican flu which is worse than the normal flu. It's one of the ones I've had (or so we think, at least). My mum's a doctor, though her current job doesn't involve seeing patients, she currently works for a government organisation advising other health organisations about health issues.

I don't think I knew your Mum is a doctor, that's really handy for you :D Is the Mexican flu something that's going around outside Holland as well? I wonder where they get the names for these things....

This is insane! I've never had any spam from Play like that, though I did opt out of the newsletter. I feel bad for you :(.

Yeah it's really crazy! Luckily it's my uni e-mail I gave them, and I'm hoping to get rid of it soon enough :)

Hi Frankie hope you are feeling better. Going back a few posts I found your rebuttal of the GG essay book very entertaining.

On another subject I can't believe you still don't have a kindle.

Haha, I'm honestly thinking I was probably being very hard on the GG book. But I couldn't help it! If it had been a review book I would've been more diplomatic, for sure. But this was for fun and it was a book on one of my absolutely favorite shows... So I had to be honest!

Why can't you believe I don't have a Kindle :D I've never considered buying one for real. I know there are some benefits to it but ... I don't know. I don't think it's just my thing :shrug:

As a new forum member and given that we have not yet shared a thread, I feel a little cheeky writing this. However, like a magpie attracted to shiny things, 'Librocubicularist' caught my attention. I have to say that describing yourself as a Librocubicularist is simply brilliant! :)

You're quite alright in coming on here and commenting, I have no objections! But I have to say, I owe knowing the word 'librocubicularist' to Facebook! :) Somebody posted this on their FB feed:

emily.jpeg

And that's where I got it from. I love reading in bed :) 

It has been a weird fortnight for me (fortnight... the only reason I know that word is because of Pride & Prejudice..). I've been sick as I've said before, and I was supposed to get a thing going in the uni where they would consider me as a student and my want of studying the field of library and blah blah... and I knew about the due date for months and yet I left it til the last week... And by the time I got around to doing it, I realised it was really too late, there was too much to do, and I thought about it, and I realised it was my subconscious telling me this is not the way. I don't want to study this at the uni. So I didn't do it. Which means I'm going to study to become a librarian somewhere else, which means I might have to move... Which freaked me out for the day but I'm getting around to the idea and I'm getting more comfortable with it... But what's more important is that I feel I did the right thing. The Joensuu uni way wasn't my thing.

So I've been thinking about moving for the past week... And this led me to looking through my books... And this led me to seeing if there were any titles I could give away... And I found quite a few. Actually, I found 35 titles.

I know I said I didn't want to reduce TBR by removing books off the list without reading. I wanted to get to below TBR 500 by reading, but that was before I started to think about actually moving. Sheesh! So anyhow. I removed 35 titles off the TBR. And when I checked my lists, that put my TBR way under 500. Weird! That's why my signature's changed. I'm sorry to see the reading challenge go, but I might come up with a new one.

I was talking about giving books away on my IRC channel and all of a sudden I had three people who were interested in looking through the books I wanted to give away. So this Tuesday I had three people come over, two of them even brought me a packet of coffee :) I got rid of 13 books! It was nice to see them looking through the books... And they even looked at my bookcase with books I'm not getting rid of, and one of them asked about Stephen Fry...

I just feel so much better for having decided I'm not going to study to become a librarian through Joensuu uni. It feels so liberating. I've been rather happy about my life this week and I've been so sociable, it's been whack! :blush:

Edited by frankie

So where you going to go if not Joensuu? Any ideas? Could you for instance study librarianism (ok I know that's not a real word I just put it in bold to look more impressive) in the UK? Think of the fun! 

I used to read in bed all the time, but nowadays I don't do it that often (my back hurts more quickly these days and I can't really sit comfortably against the wall in my bed atm).

I hope you feel better soon frankie, it really sounds quite dreadful :(. I hope you find something else nice to do with your life, if it feels like you made the right decision then you probably did. It's nice to hear more about your life, I didn't know you were studying to become a librarian :blush:.

So where you going to go if not Joensuu? Any ideas? Could you for instance study librarianism (ok I know that's not a real word I just put it in bold to look more impressive) in the UK? Think of the fun! 

I have a few ideas... There are actually quite a few places where I could study librarianism but I have already decided on my favorite choice... It's one where I would actually do 1/2 studying and 1/2 training for the job at a library, so I would get work experience at the same time. And the city where I would be studying is by far the most appealing to me. The others are far up North (I wouldn't want to live anywhere more North, I'm quite fed up with the dark and snowy winters of Joensuu already :D) or far West (I don't want to live in the western Finland...).

UK will have to do without me, I'm afraid :D Studying in the UK would be too expensive and money's the kind of luxury I cannot afford at the moment.

Librocubicularism gives me a bad back. Unless I have lots of pillows. Maybe I should persevere with it......

I used to read in bed all the time, but nowadays I don't do it that often (my back hurts more quickly these days and I can't really sit comfortably against the wall in my bed atm).

But you don't have to sit up while reading! I lay down :yes:

I hope you feel better soon frankie, it really sounds quite dreadful :(. I hope you find something else nice to do with your life, if it feels like you made the right decision then you probably did. It's nice to hear more about your life, I didn't know you were studying to become a librarian :blush:.

Thanks Athena, you've been so nice and supportive! Actually I haven't yet started, I'm only about to try and get to studying to become a librarian :) I was first going to do that via Joensuu uni but I now know it's not for me, so I'm going to go for other channels.

I'm feeling quite weird. My mojo's abandoned me. And it's not just the case of me not finding anything suitable for me to read, it's that when I try and read a book that I know I like, my mind starts drifting and I can't focus on the novel. I guess it's a phase. It feels weird, and annoying, but at the same time liberating. I guess I'm entering a new phase in my life when I want to go out more and do solitary things less. I guess it's partly because it's now spring and it's getting really light outside, and it feels like I'm waking up from hibernation. It's very hard to explain.

It may be a mental after effect of being ill?  But sometimes these periods come anyway I have had them at different times in my life. Like you say you are getting ready for something new. 

It may be a mental after effect of being ill?  But sometimes these periods come anyway I have had them at different times in my life. Like you say you are getting ready for something new. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was connected to me having been ill for so long, too :) It's just so weird. It's such anxiousness (I guess that's not a word...? Anxiety?), I sometimes feel like I can't sit down but I have to go out and do something. I believe it's also to do with the fact that I'm very much a seasonal person: at times I'm into doing thing x and at other times I'm into doing thing y, etc. But I've been into reading books for so long that it feels really weird that I'm having this bout of not being able to focus on a book. And I've noticed that I spend a lot less time reading through different threads on here. I wouldn't want to stop coming on here!!

It has been a weird fortnight for me (fortnight... the only reason I know that word is because of Pride & Prejudice..). I've been sick as I've said before, and I was supposed to get a thing going in the uni where they would consider me as a student and my want of studying the field of library and blah blah... and I knew about the due date for months and yet I left it til the last week... And by the time I got around to doing it, I realised it was really too late, there was too much to do, and I thought about it, and I realised it was my subconscious telling me this is not the way. I don't want to study this at the uni. So I didn't do it. Which means I'm going to study to become a librarian somewhere else, which means I might have to move... Which freaked me out for the day but I'm getting around to the idea and I'm getting more comfortable with it... But what's more important is that I feel I did the right thing. The Joensuu uni way wasn't my thing.

And they even looked at my bookcase with books I'm not getting rid of, and one of them asked about Stephen Fry...

It's been so long since I did it that I've forgotten how to do that multi-quote thing again.  Oh boy! :blush:

It sounds like you've made the right decision for you re: Joensuu - I hope you get on a course somewhere that suits you.  I hope you're soon feeling much better - you've been poorly for such a long time. :hug:

:o  They wanted to deprive you of Mr Fry - the nerve!

I practise Librocubicularism too - I love reading in bed! 

I was going to say something else, but I've forgotten what it was!  ETA:  Oh yes... you said you got the word fortnight from P&P (enjoyable and educational!) - do you have a Finnish equivalent of a word for 'two weeks'? :)

Edited by Janet

It's just so weird. It's such anxiousness (I guess that's not a word...? Anxiety?), I sometimes feel like I can't sit down but I have to go out and do something.

That is how I feel if I spend more than a day or 2 lazing about at home. I have to keep myself busy doing something most of the time otherwise I get really wound up. Best of luck with the future plans, it sounds like you have some exciting times ahead.

I find the only way I can read now days is by being a Librocubicularism! It tires me out to read so I rather do it in bed where I can go to sleep as soon as I put the book down. :)

Hey Frankie, first, I'm glad you are feeling so much better.  :)

Second...sometimes we just get restless in our lives, and have to move...literally and figuratively speaking.  You sound like you are making sound decisions, ones that will profit you down the road. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll reply to those messages later, right now I have to post this! I'm not sure if you can see it, though...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151901967539852&set=a.144138879851.140635.9837529851&type=1

It's about Augusten Burroughs, one of my favorite authors, and one of the cutest puppies I've ever seen :wub:

Edited by frankie

Lovely frankie..  :smile:  :smile:

Very lovely :yes: *extra huggles for chalie* :console:

I nearly had heart failure when I clicked on your link - all I saw was a horrible, horrible, clown!  :wibbly:  :lol:

You don't like no evil clowns? I'm sorry, had I known I would've given you a fair warning! :blush::giggle2:

LOL Wonderful story!  They were meant for each other!  Of course I have a weakness for Shepards.....

I personally don't believe in destiny, I think it's all about coincidences and what we make of our lives and the environment, but with this case I would definitely like to think it was meant to be. I mean look at the two of them, all cute and adorable :wub: And the ears on the pup!! Sigh....

Thanks frankie, and talking of coincidences, today on a dog rescue site I saw a dog called Honey that needed a home! If she hadn't been a rather large bullmastiff cross I may have been tempted! :)

Aww, what an incredible coincidence indeed! :)  I don't know much about bullmastiffs but I believe they are huge and I would guess they need a really strict disciplinarian for a handler. I don't know how such a dog would react to Obi's antics :giggle2: It might be too much!

I don't want to seem too enthusiastic, but I'll definitely keep my eyes open and see if there are any new furry additions to the chaliepud family in the future... ;)

.You don't like no evil clowns? I'm sorry, had I known I would've given you a fair warning! :blush::giggle2:

That's okay - how could you know?  And I don't expect you to censor your posts!  :)  But yes, I hate clowns - they're scary! 

My son is afraid of clowns, in fact as a little one he was scared of anyone dressed up as anything else, animal etc.. In fact, when he was about three we were in a restaurant and a huge rabbit appeared and my son suddenly disappeared, we started to panic until someone kindly pointed out he was under our table!!  :giggle2: