Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Yay twinny - another non-GC fan!  :D  I struggled to find a copy of The Descendants that didn't have him on the cover!

My boyfriend specifically went and found a copy for me that didn't have the movie cover! I didn't ask him, but I prefer the non-movie covers nearly all the time (we've never discussed this before he bought the book XD) so I think it was very thoughtful of him :)! He knows me so well.

I thank you Janet for agreeing with me that 1 bought book towards the TBR pile is really not that bad. And it was a one off thing because I was in Nurmes... I'm soo going to stay away all secondhand bookshops and the like when I'm in Joensuu. And other places too. Yes :yes::giggle:

I agree that one book isn't that bad. You're still being quite strong, keep it up!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not heard of The Descendants, I'll have to google it. But I'm happy that you persisted and waited til you found a copy that wasn't tainted by GC :lol:

I've heard other people say good thinks about TWotW, too. But it's just so funny that sci-fi is not your thing and yet you've read that book and enjoyed it :D We shall see if you'll like Replay. I'm not too surprised Steve suggested that book, I believe it was his favorite read last year, and he sent me a copy of it for Christmas :smile2: That was very nice (and maybe only a bit own agenda-like) of him :)

It's for my book club at the end of the month.  The way my reading is going I'll be lucky to start it though, let alone finish it! :(  I don't actually know what it's about as I haven't read the blurb yet! It was made into a film that came out in the UK just before Christmas, I believe.

Have you read Replay yourself yet?  Luckily it's available in our library authority - a library a few miles from here, but it's somewhere I occasionally go when I don't want to do food shopping where I work, so I'll combine the two in one visit.  :)

Oh, sorry! I did catch that post but totally blanked and didn't realise it contained 16 novels! :doh:   That's pretty fantastic of you, I know you've said you are moderately new to classics. I hope you enjoy all of the novels :smile2:

Thanks.  :)  I'm not sure when I will read my first one - and due to the size of some of them I'll probably read them on my Kindle rather than trying to hold the paperback! :giggle2:

H

Heehee! Someone has bought more books than I have during the year to date! That doesn't happen often. :) I wonder if I can find any more bulk book deals to tempt you further. You bought them from The Book People, right? ;)

Oooh, you wicked woman trying to tempt me like that!  :giggle:  I did get them from The Book People - they do have such great offers! 

</Must not be tempted.  Must not be tempted. Must not be tempted...>

My boyfriend specifically went and found a copy for me that didn't have the movie cover! I didn't ask him, but I prefer the non-movie covers nearly all the time (we've never discussed this before he bought the book XD) so I think it was very thoughtful of him :)! He knows me so well.

I don't like film tie-ins either - I try my best to avoid them if I can!  :)  That was nice of your bf.  :)

I know, I was shocked when I read that Kokko did that, being a veterinarian and an animal lover! Not that it's any real excuse in my opinion, Kokko graduated from the vet school in 1930, and maybe tail docking was customary in those days and no one had ever considered it's

just so unnecessary and (in my opinion) brutal. (Thanks for teaching me the word 'docking', by the way! Always happy to learn new words :))

I'm sure it was very common 'back then', as they weren't very sensitive about issues concerning animals. I know they also used to remove the dew claw (maybe they still do?), which is another thing I never understood. Don't they also do something to the ears, especially on Dobermans, so they stand up straight? And for what purpose?? :censored:

Thankfully, things have somewhat moved on.

Haha. You naughty girl, Frankie! I love that you launched into such a long explanation for why four of the books shouldn't count towards your TBR pile. Yeah...you just keep coming up with those excuses, woman. There is no denying that you bought 5 books when you said you would buy none!

Well I felt like I had to do a bit of explaining, because I know I talked big and loud about not buying any books til June! :blush: But honestly, it's like I said, three of the books are feel-good books, like there's stuff on meditation, all sorts of self help tips etc. And one of the books I've read before.

I must say I'm liking the people who've supported me and said it wasn't all that bad, you should be supportive of me, too :blush::giggle:

What a nice boyfriend you have! And I have to say, and I hope you don't mind, but he's really nice-looking too, I've seen pictures of him on your FB site! :)  He's definitely a keeper!

I agree that one book isn't that bad. You're still being quite strong, keep it up!

Thanks Athena! I went to a bookstore this week because I had a friend over and she wanted to visit the bookshop, the town she lives in doesn't have one (they used to but it closed down only a few months ago, unfortunately). I was really tempted, but I didn't buy anything! :)

It's for my book club at the end of the month.  The way my reading is going I'll be lucky to start it though, let alone finish it! :(  I don't actually know what it's about as I haven't read the blurb yet! It was made into a film that came out in the UK just before Christmas, I believe.

What's going on with your reading? I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems :empathy: 

Have you read Replay yourself yet?  Luckily it's available in our library authority - a library a few miles from here, but it's somewhere I occasionally go when I don't want to do food shopping where I work, so I'll combine the two in one visit. 

I haven't read it yet. It was on the challenge list (sci-fi/fantasy) for last year, the one Steve provided me with, and it sounded like something I might've picked up for myself, even if there weren't a challenge. Steve sent it to me as a Christmas present, it was really nice of him and quite a surprise! I think it's going to be good!

Well it's only five little books :P still it's better than 50 new books :)

Thanks Laura, I don't think I could cope very well if you all thought I was a lost cause because of the five books :blush:

I think I shall make this my new motto :D

I'm now off to buy five little books ;)

:D So which fifty books did you buy?!

I'm sure it was very common 'back then', as they weren't very sensitive about issues concerning animals. I know they also used to remove the dew claw (maybe they still do?), which is another thing I never understood. Don't they also do something to the ears, especially on Dobermans, so they stand up straight? And for what purpose?? :censored:

Thankfully, things have somewhat moved on.

Yeah some people do nasty stuff to ears, too. I hate it that one of my pals fixed her sheltie's ears, I was really vexed when I heard about it. I really, really detest these things that are done to dogs only because it's 'customary' and they are supposed to look a certain way. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!

The dew claw is actually something I didn't know about until I watched a Finnish movie which was about this man who was shot in the head in the war, and he regressed somewhat, and got it into his head that he needed to travel to visit his work mate's house and cut the dew claw of his dog. I didn't know about those claws before that! I don't know if it's an aesthetic thing to some people, but in the movie it was said that the dew claw sometimes got caught in things and it might hurt the dog. If that's the case, I understand it. If it's for aesthetics reasons only, I don't understand it.

I like that you and I agree on these things (that's not to say I don't think all the people on here with pets are reasonable and good owners!), because it's all the more proof that Reuben has such a good life living with you :friends3:

I love the sound of The Tenderness of Wolves based on your review. It's going on my wish-list.

Great! I really hope you like it :) 

The dew claw is actually something I didn't know about until I watched a Finnish movie which was about this man who was shot in the head in the war, and he regressed somewhat, and got it into his head that he needed to travel to visit his work mate's house and cut the dew claw of his dog. I didn't know about those claws before that! I don't know if it's an aesthetic thing to some people, but in the movie it was said that the dew claw sometimes got caught in things and it might hurt the dog. If that's the case, I understand it. If it's for aesthetics reasons only, I don't understand it.

I like that you and I agree on these things (that's not to say I don't think all the people on here with pets are reasonable and good owners!), because it's all the more proof that Reuben has such a good life living with you :friends3:

I only heard about the dew claw thing from The Art of Racing in the Rain, when Enzo was reminiscing about getting his removed with no anaesthetic. :o  I haven't read anything further about it, because I find it a bit distressing/depressing.  I've had dogs my whole life and never recall their dew claws getting caught on anything but maybe it's different if they are 'working dogs'.

Oh Reuben does have a good life. I don't think any dog has ever gotten away with acting so naughty before. :giggle: He's chewing my slipper as I type this, but he's just so adorable I can't tell him off!

I only heard about the dew claw thing from The Art of Racing in the Rain, when Enzo was reminiscing about getting his removed with no anaesthetic. :o  I haven't read anything further about it, because I find it a bit distressing/depressing.  I've had dogs my whole life and never recall their dew claws getting caught on anything but maybe it's different if they are 'working dogs'.

What?! :o Oh bloody hell, I read The Art a few years ago and I don't remember the dew claw thing in that! I wonder how it managed to slip past by me. Poor Enzo... :(

Oh Reuben does have a good life. I don't think any dog has ever gotten away with acting so naughty before. :giggle: He's chewing my slipper as I type this, but he's just so adorable I can't tell him off!

:D Reuben's too cute! I've loved all the pictures you've posted on the pets thread, but the latest was particularly funny, he had such a funny expression :D I have a weak, soft spot for dogs who are toooo adorable. I wonder whether I could ever be a good disciplinarian if I could get a dog myself. :blush:

I just had a blast from the past.

I don't remember when this was, exactly... but around the time I'd already joined the forum, us members had this 'free space' for whatever we fancied keeping in store here on the forum. I think it was on our profile page, or somewhere. And it was only available to our own eyes: I could only see the contents of my own space, and it was for my eyes only. Does anyone else remember that?

I used to have my wishlist on that space :D I never had it on my reading log... I also had some very random stuff on there, too. It would be fun to go back in time and read the contents of the 'private box'!

Thanks Athena! I went to a bookstore this week because I had a friend over and she wanted to visit the bookshop, the town she lives in doesn't have one (they used to but it closed down only a few months ago, unfortunately). I was really tempted, but I didn't buy anything! :)

That's very strong of you! Well done :).

What a nice boyfriend you have! And I have to say, and I hope you don't mind, but he's really nice-looking too, I've seen pictures of him on your FB site! :) He's definitely a keeper!

hey frankie! Check your pm's! :D

Ooops! I'll PM you after this :yes:

That's very strong of you! Well done :).Thanks :). I'm really happy with him.

Thanks Athena :)

I'm currently reading Donnie Brasco by Joseph D. Pistone. Some of you may have watched the movie, I'd heard of it but I didn't know what it was about until I picked up this book a year or two ago at a flea market. I've never been into Mafia stuff for some reason, and I thought I might not enjoy this book either but I bought it anyways. I've now read about half of it and I'm really enjoying it. It's made me think about reading Godfather, as well, something which I've never wanted to do, all the while knowing that it's a classic and it's on some of my reading ghallenge lists... I also have a copy of The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo, I bought it at the same time as DB, I guess someone in Joensuu had had a Mafia reading spree but had gotten tired of the books :D I'm definitely looking forward to reading TIM a lot more now.

I must say I'm liking the people who've supported me and said it wasn't all that bad, you should be supportive of me, too :blush::giggle:

It's called 'tough love', baby. ;) I'm doing it for your own good and you will thank me for it one day! (Or not.)

I must say that I forgot about you not buying books when I sent that BD link. I think that makes me an 'enabler'. Oops, sorry. :)

I was really tempted, but I didn't buy anything! :)

*pats Frankie on head* Good girl! That's more like it! (See, my tough love is paying off already. :P)

I have a weak, soft spot for dogs who are toooo adorable. I wonder whether I could ever be a good disciplinarian if I could get a dog myself. :blush:

You would be surprised. Jasper is the cutest darn thing in the world, but we have our bad moments together. I can never stay cranky for long, though.

It's called 'tough love', baby. ;) I'm doing it for your own good and you will thank me for it one day! (Or not.)

:D But I prefer some gentle loving!

I must say that I forgot about you not buying books when I sent that BD link. I think that makes me an 'enabler'. Oops, sorry. :)*pats Frankie on head* Good girl! That's more like it! (See, my tough love is paying off already. :P)

I guess the shock factor of me not wanting to buy any more books wasn't enough for you? You don't shock easy, do you!

Time for some reviews, me thinks.

The Beach
by Alex Garland

The-Beach-Alex-Garland.jpg

Finnish blurb translated into English by frankie: A shabby B&B in doped up Bangkok. In the neighboring room there lies a dead drug addict and there's a map of an island taped on the door. People talk about a lagoon that is an absolute paradise. Nobody knows where it is exactly located. Richard has the map and he's looking for an adventure. And he will be in for one.

Thoughts: I got this book as a secondhand copy some years ago, and I got it solely based on the positive reviews on here. I'd heard of the movie but wasn't too keen on it, what with Leo di Caprio and the element of water (I'm not too comfortable with deep waters). The book's been sitting on a bookshelf for ages and I was beginning to think I don't even want to read it. Then I read Brian's recent review on the book and thought I need to give it a go.

I'm really happy I finally read the book. Never before have I managed past the first few pages but this time I'd decided to stick them out and read further. What a cracking read! I was intrigued enough by the first few chapters, but when the main characters, let's say, 'relocated', to a certain place, it got really good. I didn't want to put the book down. It was so readable, and as the reader I couldn't help but think where the book is going. In a way it was like The Lord of the Flies, but only on the other side of the spectrum: whereas reading LotF is torture with every passing page, The Beach was beautiful and riveting.  Poor Golding.

I definitely want to watch the movie now, and I might end up acquiring an English original for myself some day, it's of re-readable quality!

Highly recommended.

4/5

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher
by Kate Summerscale

the-suspicions-of-mr-whicher.jpg

Blurb: It is midnight on 30th June 1860 and all is quiet in the Kent family's elegant house in Road, Wiltshire. The next morning, however, they wake to find that their youngest son has been the victim of an unimaginably gruesome murder. Even worse, the guilty party is surely one of their number - the house was bolted from the inside. As Jack Whicher, the most celebrated detective of his day, arrives at Road to track down the killer, the murder provokes national hysteria at the thought of what might be festering behind the closed doors of respectable middle-class homes - scheming servants, rebellious children, insanity, jealousy, loneliness and loathing.

This true story has all the hallmarks or a classic gripping murder mystery. A body, a detective, a country house steeped in secrets and a whole family of suspects - it is the original Victorian whodunnit.

Thoughts: Either I didn't really know what the book would be about or in which way it would be written beforehand, or it was just not I was expecting.

I was expecting a true crime story from the Victorian era. Some good, solid intrigue, a lot of sub-plots, lots of family secrets revealed. Instead I got the beginnings of a potentially great murder story, and then the book was onto introducing Jack Whicher, one of the great first real detectives ever. And his detective friends. And what mr Charles Dickens thought about it all. Some classics of the detective novel genre were introduced. A few book plots were spoiled for me as a reader. I started keeping a list of the books potentially spoiled. I have misplaced those notes, but I think seven titles at least were talked about and possibly spoiled (it's not easy to say if they were spoiled, because one doesn't know how the books have been written, which is made clear to the reader on the first page and which is left for the last pages).

There was also really no real succession of different suspects as I'd expected. There weren't as many secrets as the blurb had promised, and "scheming servants, rebellious children, insanity, jealousy, loneliness and loathing" was really, in my opinion, a bunch of crock. :rolleyes: I mean, the blurb had 'all the hallmarks of a classic gripping murder mystery', but the book didn't.

The whole case could've been dealt with in 70 pages or so. More pages were dedicated to different detectives of the time and how the 'industry' came about. And as interesting as that might all be for readers, it's really not what I was expecting, and not what I got from the blurb!

And I swear, after two thirds of the book, I started growing really tired of the mention 'nightgown'. Never has another garment been talked about so exceedingly! It got to the point where everytime I saw the word on yet another page, I wanted to throw the book out the window.

I'm not saying that the book is a total loss, I know some people have enjoyed it. And if you skip reading the blurb and go for the book with an open mind, you might really enjoy it. It just wasn't for me.

1/5

Ugly

by Constance Briscoe

Ugly.jpg

Blurb: "I handed my school photograph to my mother. She stared from the photograph to me. 'Lord, sweet Lord how come she so ugly. Ugly. Ugly.'"

These cruel words are just the beginning. Constance's mother systematically abused her daughter, both physically and emotionally, throughout her childhood. Regularly beaten and starved, the child is so desperate she took herself off to Social Services and tried to get taken into care. When Constance was thirteen, her mother simply moved out, leaving her daughter to fend for herself: there was no gas, no electricity and no food.

But somehow Constance found the courage to survive her terrible start in life. This is her heartbreaking - and ultimately triumphant - story.

Thoughts: I bought this book on a whim some years ago from some secondhand bookshop. This was the first time I picked it up to try and read and I got sucked into the story right from the start. A compulsive read!

Clare (her real name is Constance but she didn't discover that until a lot later) has a really crappy childhood. This is one of those books, you know, Torey Hayden, Dave Pelzer, that kind of stuff. The thing that stood out in Clare is how she doesn't give up, and how she has the courage to keep dreaming. She was really inspirational. Here's a quote:

"'As for being a barrister, [Clare's teacher] said as we left, 'it is good to have dreams, but they have to be realistic. Dream about something that you can achieve. That way you can never be disappointed. Dreams and hopes must have boundaries.'

I did not understand that, but then again it was not really necessary to as it sounded like a load of rubbish. I would qualify as a barrister. Mary and I knew that I would keep in touch with Mike Mansfield and he had promised to be my pupil-master. All I needed now were my O-levels, A-levels and a degree. Easy-peasy."

What a really great book, I would recommend it if you're into this type of books. There's also a sequel called Beyond Ugly, which has gone on to my wishlist.

5/5

Mitä onni on

by Petri Tamminen

Onni.jpg

Finnish blurb translated into English by frankie: "I told him I wouldn't be going on the cruise to Sweden tomorrow and I wouldn't be going anywhere for that matter, but that I would write about the happiness on the cruise ships to Sweden, at home, based on impressions and recollections.
- Happiness is not going to come over and look for you from behind your work desk, said Hannu."

Thoughts: This is the first book I read by this Finnish author. A decent read, but it's difficult to say anything specific about it. I'll have to try some of his other novels.

I have a few quotes for myself to remember of the book.

"Minusta alkoi tuntua, että Hannu oli pimeyden kanssa joissakin sellaisissa väleissä, josta me tavalliset ihmiset emme tienneet mitään, ja minusta se oli epäreilua."

"Suurta mielihyvää en tästä voitostani saanut. Liisan onnen määritelmä oli huono eikä se hyödyttänyt minua, mutta lähimmäiselle pitäisi olla mukava silloinkin, kun hänestä ei ole hyötyä."

"Hannu odotti minua Oulun asemalla. Oli varhainen iltapäivä, taivas pimeänä ja pakkasta parikymmentä astetta. Minua naurattti, kun katselin tätä pohjoista pimeyttä ja ihmisiä, jotka tässä pimeydessä kulkivat. Kun olin nauranut, minua ei enää naurattanut."

3/5

The Remains of the Day
by Kazuo Ishiguro
(a 1001 Books read)

remains-day-kazuo-ishiguro-paperback-cov

Blurb: In the summer of 1956, Stevens, the ageing butler of Darlington Hall, embarks on a leisurely motoring holiday that will take him deep into the English countryside and into his past...
A haunting tale of lost causes and a lost love, The Remains of the Day contains Ishiguro's now celebrated evocation of life between the wars in a Great English House - within those walls can be heard ever more distinct echoes of the violent upheavals spreading across Europe.

Thoughts: What beautiful English through and through! It was a real pleasure to read the novel, Ishiguro definitely mastered the lingo of a great butler of the time. His portrayal of Stevens is also very believable and as butler-ful as it can get.

"The fellow gestured up the footpath. 'You got to have a good pair of legs and a good pair of lungs to go up there. Me, I haven't got neither, so I stay down here. But if I was in better shape, I'd be sitting up there. There's a nice little spot up there, a bench and everything. And you won't get a better view anywhere in the whole of England.'
'If what you say is true,' I said, 'I think I'd rather stay here. I happen to be embarking on a motoring trip during the course of which I hope to see many splendid views. To see the best before I have properly begun would be somewhat premature.
'"

The storyline itself doesn't sell that well with me. It's interesting enough to read on, what it's been like to be the butler of a very esteemed house, and how things have changed since there was a new owner to the house. What the relations have been like between the staff members, and the employees and their guests. But the story lacks a certain something in my opinion.

I know history buffs will most certainly get a bonus pleasure from reading the book, as there are references to certain historical events and moments and people, too.

3/5

Donnie Brasco - A True Story by FBI Agent Joseph D. Pistone
by Joseph D. Pistone with Richard Woodley

donnie-brasco-joseph-d-pistone-paperback

Blurb: Posing as jewel thief "Donnie Brasco," FBI agent Joseph D. Pistone carried out the most audacious sting operation ever, working undercover for six years to infiltrate the flamboyant and deadly community of Mafia soldiers, "connected guys," captains, and godfathers.
Now his unforgettable eyewitness account brings to pulsating life the entire world of wiseguys--their code of honor and their treachery, their wives, girlfriends, and &#39;ladies of the night&#39;, their lavish spending and dirty dealings.
With the drama and suspense of a high-tension thriller, Joseph Pistone reveals every incredible aspect of the jealously guarded world he penetrated...and draws a chilling picture of what the Mafia is, does, and means in American today.

Thoughts: I've never been into Mafia related things. Not movies, not books, nothing. Not even as true crime books. I bought this from a flea market because I'd heard the title before (I believe the movie is rather popular) and because I thought I'd give it a go. And it's not like it's a regular Mafia read; there's an undercover FBI agent who's risking his life every single day to get the job done. Bloody hell.

What a great book! Very readable, very easily approachable. Everything's well explained but not to the degree where one would wonder if Pistone thinks the reader's clueless. Everything's dealt well: getting into his role, his first months and his struggle to get into business, the jobs he does and what kind of relations he has with the Mafia members. I particularly liked how Pistone dedicated a chapter to telling the reader what the family thought of his work. They actually didn't know what he was doing exactly, they only knew he's doing some top secret stuff and couldn't be at home as usual. You can only imagine what a strain it was on his family.

I have some quotes (in a chronological order):

""Connected" means that you associate with Mafia members, do jobs with them, but do not share in all the rewards and responsibilities of an actual Mafia member. A true Mafia member is a "made guy" or "straightened out," or a "wiseguy.""

"To become a made guy, to a street crook who is Italian, is a satisfaction beyond measure. A made guy has protection and respect. You have to be Italian, and be proposed for membership in the Mafia family, voted on unanimously by bosses and captains, and inducted in a secret ceremony. Then you are a made guy, "straightened out," a wiseguy. No one, no organization, no other Mafia family can encroach on the turf of a made guy without permission. He can't be touched. A Mafia family protects its members and its businesses. Your primary loyalty is to your Mafia family. You are elevated to a status above the outside world of "citizens." You are like royalty. In ethnic neighborhoods like Jilly's, nobody has more respect than a made guy. A made guy may not be liked, may even be hated, but he is always respected. He has the full authority and power of his Mafia family behind him."

"Your captain gets a piece of the action on whatever you do. So you go to him and tell him you're going to pull a big job. If you don't tell him ahead of time and he finds out about it, or you tell him after the fact, the captain might start thinking, They got more out of this job than they're telling me, and that's why they didn't ask me up front.
Because that's what happens all the time. It's all a big bullshit game. You go to your captain and tell him you're going to pull off a job worth a hundred grand. Usually the split is half with your captain. So right off the bat you have to give him fifty percent. The captain in turn has to kick in, say, ten percent upstairs, to the boss.
Captains are greedy, just like everybody else. And each captain sets the rules for his crews. He can set any rules he wants. So maybe a captain says, "I want sixty percent, instead of fifty." Because what he will do is keep fifty and give the other ten percent to the boss. Instead of taking it out of his end, he's taking it out of yours. Some captains demand that each one of their guys give them a certain amount of money per week, say $200, like a rent payment. That insures they get some money. Plus a percentage of the action.
And that's because everybody's playing this same bullshit game, trying to keep as much as they can, pass along as little as they can get away with, regardless of what the rules say. They always fudge. They figure they're out doing the job, who wants to give up half of what they get to somebody that's not even there?"

"Now, the thing is, it's a dangerous game, because if you get caught, you're liable to get whacked--killed. Holding out money from partners, captains, and bosses is, in a business strictly based on greed, a serious offense. If you did get caught, the questions are: How much did you skim and who did you keep it from? Some captains or bosses would have you whacked for withholding $5,000. The thing to remember is, no amount of money is insignificant to these guys. You might get whacked for $200--if it wasn't your first time skimming, or if other guys needed to be shown a lesson, or if your captain or boss just felt like having you whacked."

""Lefty," Rossi says, "I understand how we all like to make money. But what is the actual advantage to being a wiseguy?"
"Are you kidding? What the ... Donnie, don't you tell this guy nothing? Tony, as a wiseguy you can lie, you can cheat, you can steal, you can kill people--
legitimately. You can do any goddamn thing you want, and nobody can say anything about it. Who wouldn't want to be a wiseguy?""

"The Mafia is not the first organization in the world to believe there's no such thing as bad publicity. Word on the street is that most of the wiseguys read this book when it came out in hardcover. Informants told FBI agents that, with the exception of Lefty, the wiseguys liked it. However, they added that I should not have written it. Their reactions didn't go any deeper than that; wiseguys are not proficient book reviewers."

4/5

Well, 3/5 isn't too bad for The Remains of the Day! :D  I had seen the film first, and It took me a couple of readings to really pick some of the subtleties of the book, but it's one of my favourites now.  I can't remember, frankie, have you read any more Kazuo Ishiguro?  I know he is an author that quite often people either take to or just don't.  :)

Hi Frankie, i listened to an interview on the radio awhile back with Constance Briscoe & was full of admiration for her. It's wonderful how some people can rise above their circumstances & go on do amazing things isn't it. Totally agree with your review of Mr Wicher i thought i was going to absolutely love the book but when i got round to reading it i was so disappointed i found it so dull & boring more like reading a detailed report of the crime than a work of fiction where you get to know the characters, not my sort of book at all. I did read The Queen of Whale Cay by the same author & i enjoyed that much more though.

Disgrace
by J. M. Coetzee
(a 1001 Books read)

Disgrace---J-M-Coetzee-925001190-2887690

Blurb: David Lurie, middle-aged and twice divorced, is a scholar fallen into disgrace. After years teaching Romantic poetry at the Technical University of Cape Town, he has an impulsive affair with a student. The affair sours; he is denounced and summoned before a committee of inquiry. Willing to admit his guilt, but refusing to yield to pressure to repent publicly, he resigns and retreats to an isolated smallholding owned by his daughter Lucy.

For a time, his daughter's influence and the natural rhythms of the farm promise to harmonise his discordant life. He helps with the dogs in the kennels, takes produce to market, and assists with treating injured animals at a nearby refuge.

But the balance of power in the country is shifting. He and Lucy become victims of a savage and disturbing attack which brings into relief all the faultlines in their relationship.

Thoughts: What did I just read? I have no idea. It's been a long time since I've read a book where I can't relate to any of the characters, I don't like any of the characters, and eventhough I try, I can't understand any of the actions they take. With the main character I felt that there were a few events/sentiments after which I thought he'd come to 'see the light' but he proved me wrong time after time. I wanted to shake a lot of these people. However, it didn't make me incredibly frustrated as this kind of thing normally would, but instead I tried very hard to keep an open mind and figure out the motives behind the people. Maybe there was more to the story than I realised. Probably not, but at least it got me thinking.

I'm positive that at least some of my confusion over the book derives from me not knowing anything at all about the political and social climate in South Africa back in the day. It would be interesting to read more on the subject.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the writing itself: I'm definitely going to read other books by Coetzee. The title I'm most interested in is Life & Times of Michael K.

I wikied Coetzee and found a few interesting things on him:

"Coetzee is known as reclusive and avoids publicity to such an extent that he did not collect either of his two Booker Prizes in person. Author Rian Malan has said that:

"Coetzee is a man of almost monkish self-discipline and dedication. He does not drink, smoke or eat meat. He cycles vast distances to keep fit and spends at least an hour at his writing-desk each morning, seven days a week. A colleague who has worked with him for more than a decade claims to have seen him laugh just once. An acquaintance has attended several dinner parties where Coetzee has uttered not a single word.""

"In recent years, Coetzee has become a vocal critic of animal cruelty and advocate for the animal rights movement. In a speech given on his behalf by Hugo Weaving in Sydney on 22 February 2007, Coetzee railed against the modern animal husbandry industry. The speech was for Voiceless, an Australian non-profit animal protection organization. Coetzee's fiction has similarly engaged with the problems of animal cruelty and animal welfare, in particular his books Disgrace, The Lives of Animals and Elizabeth Costello. He is vegetarian."

PS: If you love dogs and do not like to read about them being mistreated, do not read this book.

2/5