Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Karsa, it looks like your reading list is more popular, more people have added books on your list to their wishlist, I don't think any have added any of mine

That's cos nobody reads my thread :lol:

Moving on... (and putting on the new album by Riverside...)

Awesome :cool:

Karsa, I never got a chance to comment on the choices on your reading list. I don't know if you didn't know or had forgotten, but I added The Winter King to my wishlist some time ago because of your review on it. And I also have Storm Front on my wishlist as well as Bitter Seeds, because of your reviews, but they were added quite recently so you should've remembered that

I did remember that, but I didn't think it mattered. I mean, just cos they're on your wishlist doesn't mean you'll ever get them. Unless I put them on my challenge list, in which case you might :giggle2:

Seriously, though, if you chose one of them I don't see how it would alter the challenge :shrug:

As for the rest of the titles, I really like the sound of The Wine of Angels and I wouldn't put it past me to read The Terror, as well. The novel that would be the most difficult for me is The Breach, I don't think I would go for that of my own accord, so in a way that makes me think I should go for that in the first place. But I haven't decided yet.

Personally, I think you should go with one of those you like the sound of. But that's just me. :D

The only copy available at the library is The Winter King, though.

You'll be happy to know, though, that I have placed a wish for the library to acquire a copy of Storm Front :D

Yay :D I think you'd like TWK, I really do. And I'm never wrong. Obviously. :giggle2:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's cos nobody reads my thread

Oh I don't think that's why, not for a second.

Awesome

I don't like Celebrity Touch :hide:

I did remember that, but I didn't think it mattered. I mean, just cos they're on your wishlist doesn't mean you'll ever get them. Unless I put them on my challenge list, in which case you might

I understand, and that's a fair point, but you should know by now that I'm definitely going to get to reading Storm Front at some point because you said Dexter reminded you of that series. And the more I think about Bitter Seeds, the more I'm drawn to the book, for some odd reason. But yeah, maybe you are right.

Seriously, though, if you chose one of them I don't see how it would alter the challenge :shrug:

Well it doesn't really, it's all for a good cause (in your opinion, that is :P), but if we were nitpicking, we could say that because I might read some of the books on the list that I already have on my wishlist, you would have more options to go with other books.

Personally, I think you should go with one of those you like the sound of. But that's just me.

The last time we did this challenge I didn't go for the one I liked the most, but went for The Stars My Destination, which, if I remember correctly, I thought was one of the more difficult sounding ones. And I did good with that! So I think it would be more challenging for me to go with The Breach. And heck, if I manage to read that and like it, I think it's opening the doors a lot more wider again for me. If you know what I mean.

But honestly, The Breach being the only title that sounds remotely difficult and the others being books I would go for no problem, I think I could actually read all of the titles on the challenge list and that's pretty good! Of course I won't be doing it in the next x months, because there aren't copies at the library and because I don't have money to spend on books, but I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if I read all of the titles off this year's list :) I think The Lions did a lot for me, really. Probably more than you can fathom.

Yay :D I think you'd like TWK, I really do. And I'm never wrong. Obviously. :giggle2:

Haha, getting cocky are you? :D

But yeah, I actually think I might like it. Again, thanks to The Lions. And I also think that because you know I liked The Lions you are a lot more confident in believing I would like TWK.

I do, but it seems you read lots of sci-fi and I... don't, or you read things like The Iliad, which I'm not sure I'd cope with, so I never know what to say! :blush:

See Karsa, I told you so!!

Janet, I have to say that I understand you. I think you and I have talked about this before, you and I are both a bit (or a lot...) scared of sci-fi/fantasy, it's not our thing, it doesn't come natural to us... Which is pretty much why Karsa and I are doing this challenge thing: I want to get out of my comfort zone and read something I wouldn't pick up on my own, and make Karsa read something he wouldn't necessarily pick up on his own. So far it's been interesting and rewarding! :)

Edit: Janet, I think you would be quite capable of reading sci-fi/fantasy if I can do it, too! But of course it's a matter of if you want to try and read it. We all know there are plenty of books to read as it is :)

Edit: Janet: I'm quite sure you read The War of the Worlds only a year or two ago...? And liked it!

Three is definitely better than 30 :D How have you been doing after your last post? You haven't been to any bookshops, have you? :giggle:

I've not done too badly i got a book in the post that i had forgotten that id ordered so that was a bonus hehe! But i have finished one book and am about a quarter of a way through another! Hows your motivation going? :D

I've not done too badly i got a book in the post that i had forgotten that id ordered so that was a bonus hehe! But i have finished one book and am about a quarter of a way through another! Hows your motivation going? :D

Well you can't help getting that one book in the mail because you had forgotten about ordering it :lol: I hope you don't have a lot of those kinds of books coming your way, though, it might be a while til you get to actually reducing your TBR pile! :giggle:

My motivation's been really good so far. Today I got a reserved book from the library, The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, and as much I was looking forward to reading it, I thought bloody hell, with the time I'm going to be spending on this book I could be reading a book off good ole TBR pile! :blush:

I don't like Celebrity Touch :hide:

It's definitely the only weak track on the album. I tend to skip it ;)

I understand, and that's a fair point, but you should know by now that I'm definitely going to get to reading Storm Front at some point because you said Dexter reminded you of that series. And the more I think about Bitter Seeds, the more I'm drawn to the book, for some odd reason. But yeah, maybe you are right.

Bitter Seeds was really good, and apparently the second book is even better. It's an intriguing mix of science fiction and the occult. Nothing too difficult, just a clever use of the two :smile:

Well it doesn't really, it's all for a good cause (in your opinion, that is :P), but if we were nitpicking, we could say that because I might read some of the books on the list that I already have on my wishlist, you would have more options to go with other books.

If you want me to substitute those ones I'll have a go :shrug:

The last time we did this challenge I didn't go for the one I liked the most, but went for The Stars My Destination, which, if I remember correctly, I thought was one of the more difficult sounding ones. And I did good with that! So I think it would be more challenging for me to go with The Breach. And heck, if I manage to read that and like it, I think it's opening the doors a lot more wider again for me. If you know what I mean.

But honestly, The Breach being the only title that sounds remotely difficult and the others being books I would go for no problem, I think I could actually read all of the titles on the challenge list and that's pretty good!

I think maybe the blurb is over-selling The Breach if it's making it sound difficult. It's just a thriller with some science fiction elements. Think Jack Reacher meets Stargate, or something along those lines, but better :giggle2:

But yeah, I actually think I might like it. Again, thanks to The Lions. And I also think that because you know I liked The Lions you are a lot more confident in believing I would like TWK.

Maybe, maybe not. TWK is quite different from Lions. I really liked the way it made Arthurian legend plausible :smile:

I do, but it seems you read lots of sci-fi and I... don't, or you read things like The Iliad, which I'm not sure I'd cope with, so I never know what to say! :blush:

I sense another challenge coming :o:giggle2:

Edit: Janet: I'm quite sure you read The War of the Worlds only a year or two ago...? And liked it!

I remember Janet reading that. Awesome book :smile:

I went to the post office this Monday to get the two packages that were waiting for me. The other one was the book ex ordered for me on play.com, but that's not going on the TBR list.

The other package was from Brian., thank you! :D:flowers2: I had a feeling it might be from you, as we'd talked about you sending me the copy of The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, but I wasn't sure if you had been so quick to send it to me. Thanks, I'm very much looking forward to it! And thanks for the choccies, they were rather instantly consumed by myself, yum yum :giggle2:

I'm glad it arrived safely, I was starting to wonder if it had got lost in the mail but I didn't want to spoil the surprise by asking. Chocolate and books, what more do a person need :D

I know I've said I'm not going to buy books, but this was for 20cnt, and it's a book I've read so it doesn't go to my TBR pile, so I didn't hesitate to buy it :yes:

I think you get a free pass with that one, I was very cheap after all.

but... it's not illegal to oggle a bit, is it? I might have to go and visit guru a bit more often in the future....

Just be careful you don't turn into a stalker :giggle:

Edit: I read two books off TBR while I was away from the forum, but the book Brian sent me is going on TBR, so now it's only -1 book off TBR list!

I'm evil :P

See Karsa, I told you so!!

Janet, I have to say that I understand you. I think you and I have talked about this before, you and I are both a bit (or a lot...) scared of sci-fi/fantasy, it's not our thing, it doesn't come natural to us... Which is pretty much why Karsa and I are doing this challenge thing: I want to get out of my comfort zone and read something I wouldn't pick up on my own, and make Karsa read something he wouldn't necessarily pick up on his own. So far it's been interesting and rewarding! :)

Edit: Janet, I think you would be quite capable of reading sci-fi/fantasy if I can do it, too! But of course it's a matter of if you want to try and read it. We all know there are plenty of books to read as it is :)

I did read, and love, WotW, you're right. It was brilliant. However it's the thought of reading things set on other planets/galaxies with different time frames that just don't appeal to me. I've read a few books that might be considered fantasy (Stardust?) and enjoyed them, but I always think of William Shatner when I think of sci-fi!

I sense another challenge coming :o:giggle2:

I remember Janet reading that. Awesome book :smile:

I don't think I'm ready for a challenge, but maybe just one, short, book...?!

I did read, and love, WotW, you're right. It was brilliant. However it's the thought of reading things set on other planets/galaxies with different time frames that just don't appeal to me. I've read a few books that might be considered fantasy (Stardust?) and enjoyed them, but I always think of William Shatner when I think of sci-fi!

You obviously have an aversion to wigs and corsets, Janet. And . . . people who . . . talk . . . really slowly . . . and then . . . speedupattheendofthesentence. :giggle2:

I don't think I'm ready for a challenge, but maybe just one, short, book...?!

Conditions. There are always conditions. :giggle2:

I'll have a think and send you a PM if I come up with one :smile:

You obviously have an aversion to wigs and corsets, Janet. And . . . people who . . . talk . . . really slowly . . . and then . . . speedupattheendofthesentence. :giggle2:

Is it bad that I read that with Shatners voice in my head? :giggle2:

It's definitely the only weak track on the album. I tend to skip it

Ex always said it's blasphemy to skip tracks on albums. One must always listen to the whole thing. He would also leave the record playing til the end eventhough he would leave his apartment to go to school or the stores or whatever :D I never figured it out, really. Apparently he didn't think too much about wasting electricity. That is something I didn't much approve of, eventhough the student housing pays for the electricity and he doesn't have to pay for it himself. What waste.

Bitter Seeds was really good, and apparently the second book is even better. It's an intriguing mix of science fiction and the occult. Nothing too difficult, just a clever use of the two

So it's another series :D What is it with authors these days, they are too keen on serializing their stories. Or then the fault lies in you for always going for series.

If you want me to substitute those ones I'll have a go

Nah, I suppose I should be happy to have such pleasing, easily approachable list, I suspect you could've done much worse :giggle:

I think maybe the blurb is over-selling The Breach if it's making it sound difficult. It's just a thriller with some science fiction elements. Think Jack Reacher meets Stargate, or something along those lines, but better

Well that's a good thing to hear, then I might actually go for it more likely. And don't think for a second I'm familiar with the likes of Jack Reacher. Who is he. And did you mean Stargåte? :P

Maybe, maybe not. TWK is quite different from Lions. I really liked the way it made Arthurian legend plausible :smile:

Well I was thinking that it seems it's historical fantasy? And having read and enjoyed The Lions I'm thinking I will be getting along with historical fiction just fine. That is, if it's good historical fiction. I'm also somewhat familiar with the Arthurian legend, due to having read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I'm glad it arrived safely, I was starting to wonder if it had got lost in the mail but I didn't want to spoil the surprise by asking. Chocolate and books, what more do a person need

The note had actually arrived for me on 21.1, but I only found it on 25.1 because I was avoiding going to my mailbox because I had a few official letters coming for me and I didn't want to open them because I feared they might contain some bad news :giggle: Sorry for that, it was my fault you were on your toes for so long! But no worries, the book was in safe keep at the post office, it's not like it was freezing its booky ass off at my mail box :yes:

I think you get a free pass with that one, I was very cheap after all.

Yes you were.

:giggle2:

Just be careful you don't turn into a stalker

Who, me? I'm the epitome of smooth operator :D (currently listening to Sade...)

I'm evil

You really are, you know! But in a way it's good, I can always blame you if I won't succeed in my challenge of reducing TBR :P

(Apparently I was trying to incorporate too many block quotes in my post, so had to do two separate posts instead...)

Oh, I read War of the Worlds when I was a kid, really ought to go back and reread. I saw the original film with Gene Barry too. NOT the one with the odoriferous Tom Cruise. /gag/

Eewww Tom Cruise! They should really make more of an effort to keep him out of the movie business. The less I hear of him the better.

It's actually quite ironic that Janet's review on War of the Worlds made me want to read the book, seeing as Janet is not at all into sci-fi/fantasy :D

However it's the thought of reading things set on other planets/galaxies with different time frames that just don't appeal to me. I've read a few books that might be considered fantasy (Stardust?) and enjoyed them, but I always think of William Shatner when I think of sci-fi!

I know what you mean, I'm definitely not one to pick up books with anything to do with space and spaceships, not voluntarily! And yet I read The Stars My Destination last year and I actually liked it. I'm still not keen on picking those kinds of books up but it was odd to think that I could actually manage to read something like that and maybe even enjoy it. I'm not saying that because I did it, so should you, no sirree. Like I said, I'm quite sure you have enough books to read as it is and can well go ahead on avoiding books you just don't feel like reading.

Is it bad that I read that with Shatners voice in my head? :giggle2:

:D I don't know, is it? I'm just glad that I didn't understand the reference :D I'm keeping well out of it!

The Tenderness of Wolves

by Stef Penney

9781847242952.jpg

Blurb: 1867, Canada. As winter tightens its grip on the isolated settlement of Dove River, a woman steels herself for the journey of a lifetime. A man has been brutally murdered and her seventeen-year-old son has disappeared. The violence has re-opened old wounds and inflamed deep-running tensions in the frontier township - some want to solve the crime; others seek only to exploit it.

To clear her son's name, she has no choice but to follow the tracks leaving the dead man's cabin and head north into the forest and the desolate landscape that lies beyond it.

Thoughts: I read this book for the January Reading Circle, you can find the thread for it here.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a murder mystery, it's set in the 19th century, and there is a lot more to the story than just the whodunnit aspect. I liked it how the story was told in two different narratives: that of Mrs Ross and a third-person omniscient narrator. This way we get to see and know first hand of what Mrs Ross goes through and become well acquainted with her (although she is rather secretive and evasive about her past) but we are also able to get well acquainted with the other characters. It's a long-ish novel but the story didn't drag in my opinion at any point, because there were all these subplots going on.

For me, Penney really made the locations come alive. I'm happy I read the novel during winter but I suspect I would've gotten into a wintery mode even if I'd read the book during the height of summer. As I read on, I was becoming more and more happy about central heating and the fact that I live in the current modern days with full on electricity and the modern commodities!

I also remember liking Penney's way with words and phrases. I've written some of them down:

"Scott takes offence like it's going out of fashion."

"Trying to make sense of it is like trying to gather a river in his arms."

I now really wish I had written more of those down!

There were many insightful passages I also recorded:

"Our marriage seemed to work as long as I didn't think about it. Now, I don't know, the more I worry about other people the less they seem to like it. When I thought of nothing but myself I only had to snap my fingers and men did whatever I wanted. Then I try to become a better person and look where it's got me: my own husband turning away and refusing to meet my eyes. Or maybe it is none of those things, and is simply to do with age - as a woman gets older she loses the ability to charm and persuade, and there is nothing that can be done about it."

I am not saying women lose their charm and appeal as they get older, not at all! But I think it echoes some truth, that when a person is thought to be too keen to please, it will drive other people away (there's sometimes a fine line between being genuinely nice and interested, and being overly keen and only wanting to please other people. And of course different people respond differently to things: some will take advantage of people's kindness whereas some appreciate it for what it really is and will return the kindness.). And on the other hand when one is comfortable with who they are and will not dismiss their own ideals just for the sake of pleasing other people, people will take this as healthy confidence in oneself and that is an appealing feature.

"I despise this weakness in myself - this endless one-sided conversation that takes the place of action, and I wish at certain times (usually late at night), that I was more like Ann Pretty. Her surname may be unfortunate, but sometimes I think she is the perfect model of a backwoods pioneer, being an inveterate survivor, tough, unimaginative and unscrupulous. She would not lie awake at night wondering what her husband, or anyone else, was thinking of her. She would not lose her child to the wilderness."

This reads a bit like a passage of a self-help title, but it struck a chord for some reason. I know all too well what it is like sometimes to have this negative monologue going round and round in my head, and I feel that I would also be better off if I were a 'backwoods pioneer'.

"It has long been her habit, on meeting someone for the first time, to be provocative and prickly, in order to turn aside those who are too shallow to see through her facade. It is, she is well aware, a form of self-defence, reinforced after her unfortunate affair."

This was like reading notes a friend has taken of me during a night out at a bar. It hit a bit too close to home! :hide:

I realise my thoughts on the novel are not very well organized, but I'm not going to care about that. I've come to understand that I usually relate to books more on an emotional, personal level and I'm not as skilled as to be very analytical about the books I read. I don't think I ought to see this as a flaw, I ought to take it as it comes and embrace it.

4/5

Pieni potenssipuoti

('Little Potency Boutique')
by Karin Brunk Holmqvist

PIENI+POTENSSIPUOTI+PIENI.jpg

Finnish blurb translated into English by frankie: Spinster sisters Tilda and Elida (nearing 80 years) live together in their childhood home in a little Swedish village. Their life is peaceful, nice and cozy, the same as it's always been. Things are going to change when they find a new person is moving into the house next door. The sisters gradually get acquainted with the neighbor and he unwittingly provides them with a great idea. As they accidentally uncover the recipy for a potent potion, they set up a mail order company.

Thoughts: When I was working at the library, I was shelving this book and the title caught my attention. I sneakily read the review and it seemed a delightful read, and the fact that it's a Nordic novel was a bonus.

What can I say? It seemed like a delightful read and it was a delightful read, very much so! The sisters are very much set in their ways and do not encourage any kind of variation in their routined lives, but things are shaken up by the arrival of their neighbor, who is like a breath of fresh air to the sisters. It was very enjoyable to read on and see how, little by little, the sisters made some minor adjustments here and there in their lives, and came out of their shells a bit. I was giggling out a lot when reading this book, and I simply couldn't put it down, I read it in one sitting, or rather in one lying, it was night-time and I was in bed but didn't go to sleep before I finished the novel.

I sincerely hope that this book will be translated into English, and if it does, then I would recommend you read it, if you like this type of book. It's only 245 pages, so a very short read in itself but it is a darling, darling read!

4/5

Well you can't help getting that one book in the mail because you had forgotten about ordering it :lol: I hope you don't have a lot of those kinds of books coming your way, though, it might be a while til you get to actually reducing your TBR pile! :giggle:

My motivation's been really good so far. Today I got a reserved book from the library, The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, and as much I was looking forward to reading it, I thought bloody hell, with the time I'm going to be spending on this book I could be reading a book off good ole TBR pile! :blush:

I think that's the last one for a while hopefully if my memory serves me right :) yay that's the attititude to have :) I did look at my shelves today and think once I read a few of these I could have space for new books hehe!

Ex always said it's blasphemy to skip tracks on albums. One must always listen to the whole thing. He would also leave the record playing til the end eventhough he would leave his apartment to go to school or the stores or whatever :D I never figured it out, really. Apparently he didn't think too much about wasting electricity. That is something I didn't much approve of, eventhough the student housing pays for the electricity and he doesn't have to pay for it himself. What waste.

That's just weird :lol:

So it's another series :D What is it with authors these days, they are too keen on serializing their stories. Or then the fault lies in you for always going for series.

Shut up :D And it's a trilogy, which I stated in the challenge list. Thanks for paying attention snooty.gif:giggle2:

I think that's the last one for a while hopefully if my memory serves me right. yay that's the attititude to have. I did look at my shelves today and think once I read a few of these I could have space for new books hehe!

Let's hope your memory serves you correct :D No, no space for new books! :D It's space for old books to be organized in a prettier way :yes: It's space to look at and feel a sense of achievement :)

That's just weird

I know, right? Well he was very sensible in most other ways, so I did overlook those things. I'm nice that way. :cool:

Shut up. And it's a trilogy, which I stated in the challenge list. Thanks for paying attention snooty.gif:giggle2:

:D Actually I did notice it was a series when I read your post of the challenge book in the first place. But it's just too easy and enjoyable to try and irritate you in many little ways....

:D Actually I did notice it was a series when I read your post of the challenge book in the first place. But it's just too easy and enjoyable to try and irritate you in many little ways....

How could you notice it was a series when I said it was a trilogy? :doh:

Let's hope your memory serves you correct :D No, no space for new books! :D It's space for old books to be organized in a prettier way :yes: It's space to look at and feel a sense of achievement :)

I have a small gap on my shelf and I have to say that is good motivation to read more :)

A trilogy is a series of books, that will end with the third novel. It's quite easy actually. Look it up in the dictionary.

:D

:lol: You know full well what I meant, smartypants. That's a person who only thinks they're clever, btw. Look it up in the dictionary :P

I have a small gap on my shelf and I have to say that is good motivation to read more :)

Yep! As long as we don't get ahead of ourselves and come up with completely empty bookcases! :hide: That would be verrry depressing!

:lol: You know full well what I meant, smartypants. That's a person who only thinks they're clever, btw. Look it up in the dictionary :P

I have smarties in my pants?

smarties.jpg

Does that mean I'm booty-licious? :shrug:

:lol: