Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Thanks! :)

I really have to thank my elementary school teacher for my keeping a record of my read books from so early on. When I was in elementary school, one year he would give us these tiny notebooks and we were to record all the books we read that year: the author, the book title, the page number, and possibly a few thoughts about the book. I loved it! And I read so much that my notebook was full before the year ended and I had to ask for another one! :D I think there were only a few others who also needed a new notebook (from about 25 kids).

I really, really, really wish I'd saved those notebooks, but no :( I look for them every other year, but I've never found them, and I just now that I must've gotten rid of them as a kid, and I regret it very much.

But that's really how I came up with the idea of recording my books on a notebook. I don't know why I started in 1998, and not before (or later), but there it is :) And I'm really happy I started!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I've realized how incredibly lucky we were to have him as our teacher. He was our own 'class teacher', meaning he taught us every subject except a few specialized subjects, like English and gym. He was (and is) musically very talented, he did conducting and he wrote music to some old poems and of course he taught music to all the different classes. We were lucky to have the music classroom as our own classroom for the four years he taught us. We weren't allowed to play with the instruments but sometimes he would go to the piano and start playing something as a skit. And we watched Amadeus and West Side Story...

A few boys in the class made this wheel of fortune gadget and our teacher thought it was brilliant and he had it in the class room after that and we would play wheel of fortune sometimes :D Our teacher was funny and enthusiastic and even when he was being really annoyed with us, he would mockingly sweep his brows in frustration and roll his eyes and we would think it was the funniest thing ever and sometimes that would do the trick and everybody would calm down  and start behaving :D

Frankie

Sometimes a teacher can make all the difference in the world to a kid. They are such role models  and sometimes the most influential person in a kid's growing up years.

We had all OLD teachers ,and none that really were enthused with their jobs or made a lasingt impression on me as far as influencing me with learning. Luckily, I loved school ,so it really didn't matter whether I had great teachers or not, I still enjoyed it every day .

Have you ever gone back to see the teacher again ?  He'd probably love to hear from you and how much he positively impacted your life .

Your teacher sounds great, Frankie :)! I liked some of my teachers but not others. I have fond memories of those I really liked, though. Our primary school encouraged us to read and let us go to the school library, and for an hour? or so per week we'd have to sit at our desks and read the book we picked. I'm a fast reader so it didn't take me long to read lots of books :giggle:. Soon after I went to our town library and read lots of books at home. I don't remember much of these early books I read at school, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Frankie

Sometimes a teacher can make all the difference in the world to a kid. They are such role models  and sometimes the most influential person in a kid's growing up years.

This is so true. It's amazing how a great teacher can get kids interested in subjects they might not have been interested in before.

I always loved math as a subject in school, but hated math lessons in junior high school because I couldn't get on with the teacher at all. Then I got another teacher in high school, and he was brilliant and I started loving the lessons again. And English was always my strong subject in school and I liked the lessons just fine, but hated them in high school because we had such a moody, drama loving teacher.

Have you ever gone back to see the teacher again ?  He'd probably love to hear from you and how much he positively impacted your life .

I haven't, but I've thought about it. I think if I were to see him around town some day I might bring the subject up :)

Your teacher sounds great, Frankie :)! I liked some of my teachers but not others. I have fond memories of those I really liked, though. Our primary school encouraged us to read and let us go to the school library, and for an hour? or so per week we'd have to sit at our desks and read the book we picked. I'm a fast reader so it didn't take me long to read lots of books :giggle:. Soon after I went to our town library and read lots of books at home. I don't remember much of these early books I read at school, unfortunately.

I love how you got an hour per week to just read a book in class. That's great! :)

I had a wonderful teacher in High School, Mrs. Screen, taught Ancient History.  I was 15, and absolutely fell in love with the subject.  She taught a bit differently than the other teachers........she was purely lecture style.  Most everyone else in the class hated it, but I was poleaxed.  I fell, and never looked back. :) 

Her tests consisted of one essay question.  We were supposed to write a paragraph, and I always ended up with a couple of pages worth.  :blush2:

Kate

I envy you having such a fantastic teacher . Sadly, I can't say I had any super-inspiring teachers in school . Mine were all ALIVE during Ancient history !!!  They all had grey hair, glasses, hearing aids, canes ,etc ... All old and grumpy . I guess my best teacher was my 8th grade English teacher . She was meaner than a rattlesnake, but a good English teacher .