Michelle's Reading in 2013

Michelle

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble choosing my next book at the moment, as well as getting into them. I have a few now which I've started but put back down. Last night I started Across the Universe and am quite hopeful.

Audio-wise, I've finished my re-read (or re-listen) of Divergent, and am now onto Insurgent. I think I'm enjoying Insurgent more the second time around. I've seen the trailer for the Divergent film this morning, and I am beyond excited, it looks so good!  :exc:

Having seen it mentioned quite a few times, I finally picked up Across the Universe by Beth Revis...

Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone. Yet someone is waiting for her.

It's a very readable book, with some interesting concepts. Some of the big twists and turns were a little predictable, but there are some good characters, and it's quite gripping.

I moved straight on to the 2nd book, A Million Suns, which I actually thought was better.. it wasn't so predictable, and the concepts continue to make you think. Onto the final book now....

I've now finished the 3rd book, Shades of Earth - it's unusual for me to read a trilogy back-to-back, but I really wanted to know how this all worked out. I think, for me, this trilogy got better as it went along, each book better than the last - I'd highly recommend it as a YA series, but it's also worth considering if you like a little science fiction, but nothing too 'heavy' or complicated.

Audio, I finished Insurgent, and I am so excited to see where the 3rd book Allegiant takes us - it'll be bought to listen to the day it comes out. :D

Also, my total is now at 45, which means I'm on track to at least match the last 2 years. 

I love the first one. There's just something about getting to know a brand new world and new characters that always makes the first in a series extra special to me.

Except Harry Potter... The first in that series was a bit slow, IMO... 

Do you think they'll end up making a movie out of the series?

Catching up, some recent reads:

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick - This is quite a powerful book, about a young man who wakes up on his 18th birthday planning to shoot someone who's wronged him, and then kill himself. Before he does this, he wants to say goodbye to the people important to him, including a teacher. I wasn't too keen on the ending, but it's certainly one which is staying in my mind.

I recently read Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick, which I enjoyed. I'd never heard of him before, so I had no idea if he's written any other books. FM,LP is now definitely going on my wishlist. Thanks! :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder to self: write review for FMLP and Stray! 

I've struggled getting into a few books recently, but finally settled on The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson, which is rather scary. It's YA, but doesn't particularly feel that way. I'll review it when done. 

Audio I'm also struggling, but I have pre-ordered Doctor Sleep and Allegiant, so I'm sure those two will hook me. I'm actually listening to The Fault in our Stars, but I'm not finding it that great. Which will greatly disappoint my daughter, as she thinks it's the 'best book ever'! :)

It's narrated by a girl, it's always hard to tell if it's the narrator or the story when I don't get on so well with something. As for my daughter, remember her reading is very limited at the moment. :)

Everything else has been dropped now though, as I had an early copy of Doctor Sleep through the door on Friday. :)

It's a long one, and it doesn't particularly fit into 'horror' - to me, it was just good story telling. My main advice with King is that if you don't like one, do try something a bit different. I like his earlier books and the most recent, but there's a phase in the middle which I didn't get on with. The Shining remains my favourite. :)

• 2 weeks later...

50 books read this year. :)  Doctor Sleep was a brilliant sequel to The Shining.. not as scary, but really good. I'll write a review soon.

Being A Boy by James Dawson is a very honest and fun look at what it means to be a teen boy and beyond. As a parent, I like the style and tone, it's open and honest, but also responsible. There's a FAQ here.. http://www.jamesdawsonbooks.com/2013/08/being-a-boy-faq/ and some videos which show his style here.. http://www.jamesdawsonbooks.com/2013/09/being-a-boy-out-now/

I've also just finished The Name of the Star, which was really good and highly recommended to older teens.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through another phase of not being able to get into books, or maybe I'm just being really fussy! Despite not doing much reviewing, I do have a couple at the moment - on my kindle I have a horror book called The Troop - I've read some mixed reviews, so I'm not sure how I'll get on with it. I was also sent Rags and Bones, which is published later this month - it's a book of short stories, rewritten by modern authors.. and I'm in love with the cover!