Michelle's Reading in 2013

Michelle

Noah's Child by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt

Noah’s Child is a short book, just under 140 pages, and is part of a series about childhood and religion. It tells the story of Joseph, a 7 year old Jewish child separated from his parents when threatened by the Nazis. He ends up being taken to an orphanage, where he is instructed how to become someone else.

He is looked after by Father Pons, whom, he discovers, has set out to collect and record all can about being a Jew. He tells Joseph he is trying to save it, in the same way that Noah saved humans and animals during the flood. Joseph and Father Pons develop a wonderful connection as he starts to help him.

It is told from the point of view of Joseph himself, and it manages to portray how events may have been viewed by a child – on it’s surface it’s a simple story of survival, but the horrors are lurking underneath. There are also some lovely, simple discussions about religion and faith.

It’s a short, simple story, but one which will touch and stay with you.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thought of a 7 year old boy being separated from his parents makes my blood run cold it's the same with wartime evacuation or sending children to boarding school i just can't imagine being able to bear it :cry:

Yes I read it last year. It wasn't what i was expecting either. It's very quirky. I found the early part of the book difficult to visualise in my head because it was so alien. But I did really like the book. My final thoughts are here: http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9591-andreas-books-2012/?p=300622

Now I want to read it even more.  Thanks for the link, Andrea :smile:

Unremembered By Jessica Brody

A sixteen year old wakes up as the only survivor of an air crash, with no memory of who she is, or where she’s come from. The media latch on to her unusual coloured eyes, and she takes on the name Violet. Fostered by a family and their teen son, she starts to realise that there are other unusual things about her. She meets a mysterious boy who claims to know who she is.. but who can she trust?

It’s an interesting premise to start a story with, and could have gone in lots of different directions. I thought I had it worked out at one point, only to find out my ideas weren’t quite accurate – and then the story developed well beyond what I imagined.

The story itself draws you in from the beginning, and continues to be fast paced. It’s continuously moving and evolving, and should keep even reluctant readers engaged. The characters are also well developed, with ‘Violet’ herself being believable as she tries to work out who she is and what’s happening to her. There’s romance, but never does it take over from the story.

Unremembered is an exciting blend of mystery, thriller and science fiction. It’s the first in a new YA Trilogy – for me, the story was wrapped up enough to be satisfying, but has also left me anxious for second book, a hard balance to achieve. An excellent addition to the YA market – highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

That's 15 books finished, so I'm on track for 60 books again this year. I had seriously considered stopping reviewing, and focusing on my neglected book shelves, but I've had so many good ones offered to me, I've not been able to say no! Am hoping to write a couple of reviews this afternoon.

Added: I just wanted to add that I'm aware that most of my reviews are very positive. However, if you take a look at my review list this year, there are some I haven't crossed out yet - this is because I've started them, and for whatever reason, I'm not getting on very well with them. I will at some point write a little about why I didn't persevere, but they point is, I tend to only write reviews for the books I've enjoyed. 

Away from my own reading, Beth has to read and review 2 books for school - which she's really not impressed with as she doesn't like reading! I'm grabbing the opportunity, and am trying to find her 2 she will love! ;)  However, the problem at the moment is actually getting her to choose the books, and get on with them... it's really hard getting from her just what interests her.

One has to be pre-1914, which is a bit of a struggle. I can think of some which I enjoyed at her age, such as Little Women, but she'll be put off by anything too wordy or slow. She likes the idea of Alice in Wonderland, and I've also suggested Peter Pan and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (although I can't remember how wordy or readable that one is).

For a modern choice, I've suggested:

The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting (she likes crime on the TV)

Divergent by Veronica Roth (she likes the Hunger Games film at least)

The Hunger Games (she might find it easier if she's seen the film)

Shift by Kim Curran

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (might be difficult to write a review though)

Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher (I've just started this, and it's just won a Waterstones award)

She asked about The Boy in the Striped Pjyamas

Would love ideas and or opinions - remember this is a 14 year old VERY reluctant reader who needs something which will hold her attention. 

Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan are both good.

I haven't read Tom Sawyer, but Huckleberry Finn (the character also features in Tom Sawyer) wasn't a particularly easy read due to the use of dialect. 

What about The  Secret Garden / A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett? 

Or Pollyanna by Eleanor H Porter. 

Or Five Children and It / The Phoenix and the Carpet / The Railway Children by E Nesbit.  The Railway Children is one of my favourite children's books.  :)

Michelle

When my girl was around that age,she had a couple favorites she loved --these would fall into the modern category :

The Westing Game  and  A Wrinkle in Time  .Not sure what either was about,but she loved them both and read them several times .

As for the older books, I'd lean away from anything like Heidi or Little Women ( too namby-pamby ) if she is already balking reading at all. she needs something to really grab her attention. I'd definitely get her to try Huck Finn I think. I like Tom Sawyer too,and his book "sorta" comes before Huck's,but I love the writing .

Not sure how she'd go for Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe . I had and still have quite odd tastes in books for a female . I tend to like books that boys or men would probably like ,so I like adventure type books . How about  King Solomon's Mines ?Kinda along the lines of Raiders of the Lost Ark --- or maybe a Jules Verne ? Around the World in 80 days ?  not sure,since I dont know your girl,but those are ones I'd pick for her to try ... I dont know if she likes more girly type stuff, if so, she wouldnt like those I named .

I can't speak for the older books as mine have revisited anything classic, although Charlie is partial to Shakespeare since doing Lamda this year but I can't imagine that would float Beth's boat? What about something like A Christmas Carol? It's fairly short and she would know the story?

Charlie read Divergent and Insurgent when he was 13 and Maddie (just 12) has just finished them too, they both loved them.. I can see there being some competition when the third is delivered later this year!! :D

Would also highly recommend Finding Sky by Joss Stirling, the first in the Benedict Brothers/Soulfinder series.. Fun, exciting, romance, action, what more can a girl need?! :)

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a wonderful book and definitely age appropriate, but it may get the usual teenage response (that I got from Charlie) that it is boring as it's not current day.. He really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time though..

Edited by chaliepud

Thanks Hayley - she said today she would prefer The Hunger Games, because she's seen the film (I despair!) but whether she'll stick to that, I don't know. Have you read Divergent? I loved it! Insurgent wasn't so good, apart from the ending, which was brill - hurry up part 3!

Thanks Hayley - she said today she would prefer The Hunger Games, because she's seen the film (I despair!) but whether she'll stick to that, I don't know.

If she does read it, it could turn out to be cunningly positive. Since books are invariably different to and better than their film adaptations it may turn on a lightbulb that there's something in this reading lark.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to look at my wishlist, and see if my views have changed. Before I edit it, any comments on it?

Feedback - Robison Wells
Witness - Cath Staincliffe
The Kindest Thing - Cath Staincliffe
The Forsaken -Lisa Stasse
Perception - Kim Harrington
Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
1.4 - Mike Lancaster
Fearless - Cornelia Funke
The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Control by Kim Curran
Hunger by Melvin Burgess
Shadowlands by Kate Brian
Crash by Lisa McMann
Splintered - AG Howard
Across the Universe by Beth Revis
The Essence by Kimberly Derting
The Phenomenals: A Game of Ghouls - FE Higgins
Breathe bk 2 - Sarah Crossan
Teri Terry bk3
Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman
Boy Meets Girl by Ali Smith
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Lockwood & Co by Jonathan Stroud

Time to look at my wishlist, and see if my views have changed. Before I edit it, any comments on it?

Is it dreadful that I have only read just one of these authors?!? What am I doing with my life?!?  :banghead:

;)

Not at all Mac - I quite often come across new or unknown authors, by following twitter, receiving proofs etc

I'm very lucky in that my fiancee works for Waterstones and I now receive lots of lovely proofs to get my teeth into! Happy days!