Ooshie's Reading List 2013

Ooshie

A great and varied list, Ooshie!

I absolutely loved Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.  There is as good writing, different writing, but none better, I agree.  Mantel knows how to tell the story. 

I'm sorry you were a bit downish rating wise on The Bat.  I've heard elsewhere that it didn't come up to par of his later books. 

Great to see you back. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great and varied list, Ooshie!

I absolutely loved Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.  There is as good writing, different writing, but none better, I agree.  Mantel knows how to tell the story. 

I'm sorry you were a bit downish rating wise on The Bat.  I've heard elsewhere that it didn't come up to par of his later books. 

Great to see you back. :)

Thanks, pontalba :)  As you say, it is a varied list - I keep looking and wondering if I should really have rated the Danielle Steele book as 4/5 when I was being so harsh with others but, hey, she has been a guilty pleasure for about 30 years and I enjoyed it as a nice, easy escapist read, so... :D  The Bat did pick up about half way through, but not enough to leave me with overall good feelings about it; I couldn't help wondering how he managed to get the rest of the series published with that as the first example!

Nice list :)!

Thanks, Athena!  I maybe haven't been keeping up with my reviews, but at least I didn't let my reading lapse! :)

Any book is as good as you think it is......for you. If it meets your criteria for your mood.  I think that is how we have to grade, according to our needs and mood at the time.

LOL re The Bat.  I've heard the same, and, that the reason it wasn't translated first was on account it wasn't as interesting as the rest of the series.  I'll still read it, it's sitting here on the shelf....... :icon_eek:

LOL re The Bat.  I've heard the same, and, that the reason it wasn't translated first was on account it wasn't as interesting as the rest of the series.  I'll still read it, it's sitting here on the shelf....... :icon_eek:

Don't do it! :hide:  :D

Totally agree about Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies, Ooshie.  They are different gravy :D

:rolol:   You may be right........

It depends a bit on how much of a completist you are regarding sets, pontalba - I really didn't gain any essential knowledge about Harry Hole (apart from how to pronounce his surname which I don't remember noticing before :D) so I can't find a good reason to say you should read what was a very mediocre book - but I would always have been disturbed knowing there was a first book out there that I hadn't read...