How do you read?

I read in various postures depending on the time of the day or where I am.

1. Sitting on a moda (an Indian short wicker stool) in a corner of my home office with the window behind me and to the left is my favourite position

2. Reclining back in my home office chair

3. Propped-up in bed for late night reading.

4. When a book gets particularly interesting, I kneel on the floor next to the bed with the book itself on the mattress.

5. Sitting on the window seat of the bay window in out lounge.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Love the chair, Fiona! Doesn't look all that comfy, but great storage capacity! :thud:

4. When a book gets particularly interesting, I kneel on the floor next to the bed with the book itself on the mattress.

That's unusual! :( I can't quite picture it!

I'd love to be able to sit out on our veranda with a good book, but we're having crumby weather and also have pigeons nesting on it at the moment (there are two cute, fluffy chicks there), so I don't want to disturb them even if the weather DOES suddenly get nice!

I have a couch that my boyfriend calls "The Nap Couch", which is where I read (and sometimes will fall asleep). When I'm settling down to read something, I half lie down/sit up with a quilt over my legs, the lamp on behind me, and the book in my lap. I always make sure that I have a drink nearby, and for some reason, I sometimes will turn the TV on. This is where I read everything from my books to my magazines.

I sometimes read at stop lights, often in a restaurant and occasionally in the park.

Mostly I read in my chair with the television on, tuned to a familiar show - a rerun of M*A*S*H, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption: some type of fare that is easily ignored but still has some good parts. That's how I found I liked Hannah Montana because the Disney Channel is only background noise with nary a bit of value; ideal for reading - until she came along. This show is great.

Once upon a time, I'd read with the radio on or a cd playing - but it just accents just how empty this freaking apartment is with just me and an old cat rattling about. Worse is total silence and hearing the clicking of the clock - I swear someday I'll just tear the batteries out of those clocks. My mom gave me a clock within which a different bird chirps on the hour -- it's long gone, let me assure you.

*in pajamas

*left hand holding book

*89% paperbacks

*snacks - cookies, candy, chips (right hand)

*the chair can recline, but it can settle in between also

*I get restless after about an hour and jump online to read the Book Club Forum or check my e-mail, then back into the action.

As you can see, I read with ... style!

I tend to read on the couch when my boyfriend is either watching tv or playing on Xbox or entertaining our puppy!! I have grown up in quite a hectic house so I always need the tv on regardless of what I'm doing as background noise! I also read when my boyfriend is driving and also in bed :)

xLorzx :hyper:

most of the time i'll read on the subway going home... but once it stops raining and the yankees aren't playing i'll start reading on the porch- carm

I've lived alone these last few years so read all over! The three places I read most are on the sofa in the living room, in bed and in the bath. I also read an awful lot on trains as I don't drive but live a long way from friends and family so often end up needing a good book to read! Earlier this year I was having to travel over 7 hours (each way) to see my boyfriend so that gave me plenty of time to read!

What I do notice every morning on the bus is one or two people reading. It's nice to see that people do read!

I usually read while I'm having lunch which is all right if it's a lunch I can eat with one hand (cheese toasties for example) but if it's a messier sandwich, needing two hands to hold it together, then I have to put down the book on the table and flatten it open by balancing something along the top of it - I've found that my pencil case is just about the right length and weight to hold most books open.

Other than that I read just about anywhere, lying down, sitting up, standing up while waiting for the kettle to boil, the washing to finish etc etc, right hand, left hand, both hands together (that's when I remember what my Alexander technique teacher used to tell me!).

I used to read a lot more lying on my tummy but now it hurts my neck if I do it for too long, which is a shame.

I usually read while I'm having lunch which is all right if it's a lunch I can eat with one hand (cheese toasties for example) but if it's a messier sandwich, needing two hands to hold it together, then I have to put down the book on the table and flatten it open by balancing something along the top of it - I've found that my pencil case is just about the right length and weight to hold most books open.

That sounds exactly like me Sam! I get slightly annoyed when I realise I've brought in lunch that will require two hands! I occasionally use a tape dispenser or a stapler/scissors combo to keep my book open, although it takes longer to read this way because I have to keep stopping and cleaning my hands before I can turn the page. Sometimes I can't be bothered and just close my book until I've eaten.

I can sympathise. I have the same problem with sandwich's, but not while reading. I'm usually feeding the baby while I eat. Dinner is messier!

I read anywhere I can! I've not tried while feeding the baby, but I do read while I'm eating if I can get the kids to leave me alone!

I always read in bed before going to sleep. It doesn't matter how tired I am - if I don't read I can't settle. :hyper:

I can sympathise. I have the same problem with sandwich's, but not while reading. I'm usually feeding the baby while I eat. Dinner is messier!

I used to get a lot of reading done while I was breastfeeding - he'd usually fall asleep afterwards too ...

I always have to read while I'm eating, too. I'm the only person at my store who brings a big book with her to work...everyone else just reads the fashion and gossip magazines that are piled around everywhere! :hyper:

I always have to read while I'm eating, too. I'm the only person at my store who brings a big book with her to work...everyone else just reads the fashion and gossip magazines that are piled around everywhere! :hyper:

Urggh! I hate those things!

Reading is a great way to stop falling asleep while feeding a bubbly. It also passes the time much quicker (not that I don't love gazing at bubs for ages!)

• 4 months later...

Katie has gone from helping to turn the pages (though she still does sometimes) to trying to eat the books, to just wanting to look at the cover. She will turn the book back to the front cover, the back to the page we are on and continue turning whilst I am trying to turn the pages and read them to her.

She has also started touching pictures and things on the pages though.