A Walk Across the Sun - Corban Addison

Star

Just bought this and I can't wait to read it. Has anyone else read it?

From the back cover .......

Ahalya Ghai and her younger sister Sita are as close as sisters can be. But when a tsunami rips through their village on India's Coromandel coast, their home is swept away, and the sisters are the sole survivors of their family. Destitute, their only hope is to find refuge at a convent many miles away. A driver agrees to take them. But the moment they get into that car their fate is sealed. The two sisters - confused, alone, totally reliant on each other - are sold. On the other side of the world, Washington lawyer Thomas Clarke is struggling to cope after the death of his baby daughter and the collapse of his marriage. He takes a sabbatical from his high-pressure job and accepts a position with the Bombay branch of an international anti-trafficking group. Thomas is now on a desperate path to try and save not only himself and his marriage, but also the lives of the two sisters.

• 1 month later...

Well I've finished it and here's my review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t write reviews often, only if I think a book really deserves it and I believe that this book does. Especially when I see on Amazon there are hardly any reviews for it.

It truly is a wonderful book. It’s one of those special reads you only come across once in a while where you’re still thinking about it long after you have finished it.

This book is about human trafficking and more to the point human trafficking of children. Sadly this is going on in the world and might be happening right in front of us without us knowing.

The book follows 2 Indian sisters Ahalya and Sita who lose all of their family when a Tsunami hits. They have no one left except each other and decide to head to Chennai in search of a refuge. Sadly they never make it to the refuge. They accept a lift from a stranger as they have no other means of getting there and are taken to Mumbai instead, where they are sold into the world of trafficking and slavery.

Thomas an attorney in America, who’s wife has recently left him after the death of their baby girl is made the escape goat at work. He decides to take a sabbatical for a year and head to India to work for a none profit organisation who try to rescue underage girls who are being sold into the sex trade. It’s through his work with the organisation that his path crosses with the lives of the sisters and he decides he wants to help them.

I must admit I hadn’t realised until this book (maybe I am naive) what Mumbai is like and how dangerous it is. It seems that it is well documented how bad the sex trade is there too. You just have to Google it to see for yourselves.

The book is wonderfully written with believable characters. You really get a sense of what life or maybe existence is the right word (they certainly don’t have a life) is like for these poor girls. Passed around and sold to different perverts every night, living in poor conditions, having sex unwillingly to make their pimps money that they never see a penny of and being raped and beaten repeatedly and sold for mega money. It opens your eyes to the darker side of the world we live in. Corban Addison has really done his homework here.

Although the book might sound depressing it really isn’t. It can be a little upsetting to read at times but it’s wonderfully written. It’s a book about courage, cruelty, family, survival and loss and made me shed a few tears at the end.

Please pick this book up and read it !!!!! 10/10

Edited by Star