ashleighjane's reading list 2013

ashleighjane

I just bought 4 new books, as they were 2 for £3 in The Works. I got:

• The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley
  • Insatiable by Meg Cabot
  • The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa.

I decided to get The Secret of Crickley Hall as I enjoyed the TV series, and have read a couple of James Herbert books before. I saw it in Waterstones just before I went in The Works. It was £8.00 in there, but £1.99 in The Works!

Insatiable and The Immortal Rules I bought because of the authors.

I have no idea what to expect from Beauty though. I guess I bought it because it was cheap and I liked the cover.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

charlotte_big.jpg

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity.

She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers

I really did wan to like this book, but at times I struggled. I see Jane Eyre as being two books. One part of it is a story, and the other part the 'social criticism' that could have been a book on it's own. I enjoyed the story, which lead to me skimming through some of the lengthy social criticism parts to get on with the story.

I think I probably would have given Jane Eyre a higher rating if it weren't so famous. Unfortunately I knew the general plot of the book, which took away any element of surprise.

One thing I definitely didn't like about this book was the frequent long speeches that weren't broken up by any description. I found it difficult to read such long speeches without starting to skim.

In conclusion:

I liked the story part of Jane Eyre, and it was well written, but I don't think that books that focus so much on social issues are for me.

I gave Jane Eyre 2.5 stars out of 5. (Which is better than The Accidental Demon Slayer! ;) )

I just ordered the flipback editions of Mansfield Park and Cloud Atlas. I already have both of these as an ebook, but they were pretty so I ordered them. They were only £1.99 each anyway, and I got 13% off :D

At least I plan on reading Mansfield Park this year. God knows when I'll get around to Cloud Atlas.

insatiable-meg-cabot-paperback-cover-art_zps8b078f76.jpg

"There's no such thing as mind readers, Meena. Except Sookie Stackhouse, and she's made up. All you can do is tell how people are going to die, which isn't nearly as useful or cool" ~ Leisha

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Meena Harper is familiar with the supernatural. After all, she knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.) But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for Lucien Antonescu--whom she meets and then makes the mistake of falling in love with--a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side for which an ancient society of vampire hunters would prefer to see him dead.

The problem is Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met with whom she could imagine herself having a future. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's destiny, she's never been able to look into her own. Lucien seems to be everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, though he might turn out to be more of a nightmare.

So now would be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future... if she has one.

This book, to me, is chick-lit with vampires. It could have been a disaster, but thankfully it wasn't. I thought it was entertaining, even if a little predictable.

As I was reading it, I picked up on things that were very similar to Twilight. The main difference being that the heroine actually thinks for herself. (Not that Bella is really a heroine).

I enjoyed the fact that I found most of the characters likable - even the really annoying ones have some likeable qualities. At times the dialogue seemed a little unrealistic, and lacking fluidity, but the story line made up for it.

I also like that Cabot based aspects of the book on reality, which she mentions in the 'Author's Note'. In the book, there is a unit called 'The Palantine Guard' who are essentially vampire hunters. (They remind me a little of The Watcher's Council from Buffy in that they are pretty incompetent). At the end it is noted that The Palantine Guard was 'an actual military unit if the Vatican, formed in 1850 to defend Rome against attack from foreign invaders. Today the Palantine Guard is listed in most encyclopedias and search engines as defunct'.

The chapters are nice and short which, for me, is a plus. I hate finishing mid-chapter, so I prefer to have lots of small chapters rather than a few long ones.

The main thing I didn't like about the book is that it's pretty much the same as most vampire books out there, and has many similarities with Twilight, such as vampires being unable to read Meena's mind and Meena having two love interests.

I gave Insatiable 3/5. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure that I will continue the series, since the book really can stand on it's own, and doesn't have a big cliff hanger.

It sounds pretty much like standard Cabot fare, ashleigh. I enjoy reading her books on holiday or after reading a heavyweight or serious book, just to have something light after it. I like that she writes pretty good female characters who usually are smart and independent. I'm going to save this one for holiday this year, so good to see a generally positive review. :)

It sounds pretty much like standard Cabot fare, ashleigh. I enjoy reading her books on holiday or after reading a heavyweight or serious book, just to have something light after it. I like that she writes pretty good female characters who usually are smart and independent. I'm going to save this one for holiday this year, so good to see a generally positive review. :)

It was definitely nice to read after reading Jane Eyre :P

Have you read her book 'Underworld'? It seems to be inspired by the same kind of thinking as Insatiable is (mixing fact with fiction), but I preferred it to Insatiable.

The main character of Insatiable is certainly smart and independent though :)

I have read Abandon, which is the book before Underworld but I thought as a standalone it was a bit underwhelming although it did set up a good story so maybe Underworld will be better. Again, another one for holiday reading!

Ah yes, I meant 'Abandon'. I just have 'Underworld' on my brain because it's sat in my bedroom window :P I think I might read it before next month, so I can get it returned to the library. (Seeing as I read everything that I planned to read this month :P )

It was definitely nice to read after reading Jane Eyre :P
I do this a lot too, read more complicated books and after that read an 'easier' book. Thanks for your review! Not sure if it's my thing (though I've heard good things about Meg Cabot), it might be too similar to Twilight.

charlotte_big.jpg

I gave Jane Eyre 2.5 stars out of 5. (Which is better than The Accidental Demon Slayer! ;) )

Such a gorgeous cover - I can't take my eyes off it!

Jane Eyre is a special book for me - as we did it at school with a wonderful teacher - perhaps I should read it again to see how I feel about it now!

I do this a lot too, read more complicated books and after that read an 'easier' book. Thanks for your review! Not sure if it's my thing (though I've heard good things about Meg Cabot), it might be too similar to Twilight.

I've never read a book by Meg Cabot that I've disliked :)

It did have similarities to Twilight, but I guess it can't really be helped now that there's so many vampire books being published.

Such a gorgeous cover - I can't take my eyes off it!

Jane Eyre is a special book for me - as we did it at school with a wonderful teacher - perhaps I should read it again to see how I feel about it now!

I didn't read Jane Eyre at school. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had.

It was Great Expectations for us. I still haven't managed to read the entirety of that book. I've enjoyed what I have read of it though. :P

The Jane Eyre is a lovely cover! I want! lol

I first read JE when I was about 11 years old, and I've lost count of the number of times I've reread it. It is one of my all times favorite.

I didn't read Jane Eyre at school. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had.

Agreed, I think that is true of many books. An example for me would be Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it till a few years ago, and actually almost hated it. I compared it to chewing, not glass, but cut crystal. :) IOW, excellent, but disliked. If I'd read it as a youngster I might have enjoyed it. /dunno/

cityember_zps6c2900e2.jpg

'The City of Ember' by Jeanne DuPrau

Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked…but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness….

But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them?

"Lina gazed down at the people of Ember, gathered to sing their songs. They stood so close together that she could see only their faces, which were lifted up toward the sky, with the hard bright lights shining down on them. They were silent, waiting for the Songmaster to appear on the Gathering Hall steps. There was a strange hush, as if the city were holding it's breath. Of the whole Ember year, Lina thought, this hush before the Singing was one of the most exciting moments. She remembered other years, when she had stood with her parents, too short to see the Songmaster's signal, too short to see anything but people's backs and legs, and waited for the first note to thunder out. She felt her heart move at that moment, every year. The sound would rise in waves around her like water, almost as if it could lift her off."

I found this YA book a joy to read. I thought the descriptions were beautiful, and that the dialogue flowed very well. I even found it slightly scary, as it is easy to imagine everything in it being reality.

It was nice to read a book in which the child characters weren't portrayed as being foolish.

'The City of Ember' seems to be pretty unique to me, although if I was forced to come up with a book that it is similar to, I would say The Hunger Games - but then only because 'The City of Ember' has some elements of dystopia.

This book is very short and I finished it in less than a day. It is part of a series of books though, and I noticed that 'The People of Sparks' is a longer book.

I gave 'The City of Ember' 4/5

The Jane Eyre is a lovely cover! I want! lol

I first read JE when I was about 11 years old, and I've lost count of the number of times I've reread it. It is one of my all times favorite.

Agreed, I think that is true of many books. An example for me would be Catcher in the Rye. I didn't read it till a few years ago, and actually almost hated it. I compared it to chewing, not glass, but cut crystal. :) IOW, excellent, but disliked. If I'd read it as a youngster I might have enjoyed it. /dunno/

I always think that books like that can sometimes be enjoyed more when read for school, because you really have to think about and analyze what you're reading. I think this is a skill most people lose after leaving school, and it's hard to enjoy books like 'Jane Eyre' if you don't 'analyze' the social criticisms etc.

I didn't read Jane Eyre for school and I really enjoyed it. Sure I thought about things on my own, but I didn't discuss anything with a professional.

Will have to check The City of Ember sometime, it sounds interesting. Nice review :).

Edited by Athena

the-secret-of-crickley-hall_zpsbfb1047d.jpg

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert

Would you stay in a haunted house for more than one night?

Would you live in a place where ghostly things keep happening? Where a cellar door you know you locked the night before is always open the following morning? Where hushed whimpering is heard? Where white shadows steal through the darkness? Where the presence of evil is all around you?

Would you? Should you?

The Caleighs did, but they had their reasons. They should have known better though. As the terror mounts, they begin to regret their decision. As the horror rises, they realize their very lives are at risk ... and so is their sanity. For the secret of Crickley Hall is beyond all nightmares ...

I actually watched the BBC mini-series before I read this book, and since I enjoyed that, I expected great things from the book, and was fortunately not disappointed. I found it better than the other book I read by James Herbert (The Others).

I liked the writing style and thought that Herbert integrated the present with the past well.

In parts The Secret of Crickley Hall can be disturbing, as it does describe the abuse of children, and does at one point include child mutilation. (Thankfully the mutilation isn't described in too much detail!)

The only things I dislike about the book is that it sometimes spends too long 'talking' about mechanics (one of the main characters is an engineer), which I don't understand. Also people's accents are emphasized to much. e.g ' "Fraid I couldn't stop it, mister, doggie ran right past me." I came out as roit pas' me" '.

Despite being slighted irritated by these things in the writing style, I still gave The Secret of Crickley Hall 5/5 :)

I think I'll be reading something out of the 'Famou Five' series next, which I won't bother writing a 'review' for ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to start on Elminster: The Making of a Mage by Ed Greenwood, but quickly gave up and read B is for Burglar instead. Having read everything for this month (minus Elminster), I've started on The City of Bones. I think this may be the first book series ever that I will come anything close to 'fan-girling' over. :D;)

493776759_2391bd9679_zpsa3ecc537.jpg

The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Whilst in an  'all ages' club, Clarissa 'Clary' Fray discovers that she is able to see Shadowerhunters (People that hunt and kill demons), even whilst they are wearing a glamour. This is something that mundies (mundanes - normal humans) should not be able to do. Through a series of circumstances, including her mother being abducted, Clarissa finds herself dragged into the lives of the Shadowhunters, and joins them in their search for 'The Mortal Cup' - an object needed in order for more Shadowhunters to be created.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the City of Bones. There are some similarities between it and Harry Potter. I think that if you enjoyed Harry Potter, you'll enjoy this.

This book is fast paced and the characters are witty.

I've never really been one to jump on the 'Team' bandwagon (e.g. Team Edward/Jacob), but Clary does have two love interests, and I actually find myself torn between the two. Simon, Clary's best friend (and a mundie), has supposed to have been in love with Clary for years, yet Jace ( a Shadowhunter) have only just met her. Plus Jace is a bit of a jerk. And I can't help but find Simon kind of boring, though he seems like the most suitable choice.

Apparently Jace is Clary's brother, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. So at the moment I'm Team Simon, but if Jace isn't really her brother, I think I'll be Team Jace :)

The only thing I didn't like about The City of Bones is the sometimes the characters are too witty, which makes them seem really unrealistic. But overall, I really enjoyed the book, and will be continuing with the series. :)

The only thing I didn't like about The City of Bones is the sometimes the characters are too witty, which makes them seem really unrealistic.

This irritates me too in books. I like characters to be like real people, fumbling over what they say and occasionally saying the wrong thing, rather than giving the perfect 'cool' response every time.

This irritates me too in books. I like characters to be like real people, fumbling over what they say and occasionally saying the wrong thing, rather than giving the perfect 'cool' response every time.

It really annoys me when the characters are witty during fight scenes. You'd think they'd be a little too scared to be thinking about being 'cool'. :P

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan - 4/5

'The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life.'

Marley & Me is a great book for animal lovers. I have never owned a dog in my life (I'm more of a cat person), but was still amused by Marley's antics. Though I'm glad I didn't have to live with him! ;)

Marley has definitely found his way into my heart through this autobiographical book.

Grogan has written an emotional roller-coaster. I couldn't help but feel elated for his successes and down trodden about the tragedies of the Grogan family.

This book can also serve as a lesson that you should do your research properly before investing in a dog!