Last Dragonslayer, The by Jasper Fforde

August 2013
Alice in Quantumland by Robert Gilmore
Unlikely Spy, The by Daniel Silva
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

September 2013
SAHM I Am by Meredith Efken
Eve of Darkness by S. J. Day
Prom Nights from Hell by Meg Cabot (and others)

October 2013
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz
Call of the Wild by Jack London
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Boroughs

November 2013
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Osprey Island by Thisbe Nissen
Virals by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs

December 2013
DaVinci Code, The by Dan Browny
Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong
C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton

Acquired in 2013:

• The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley
  • Insatiable by Meg Cabot
  • The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa.
  • The Thinking Tank by Jae De Wylde
  • Sleeping People Lie by Jae De Wylde
  • Shadows and Strong Holds by Elizabeth Chadwick
  • The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
  • The Concubine by Norah Lofts
Edited by ashleighjane

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I started reading The Accidental Demon slayer last night, and I'm really not impressed so far. I'm hoping that it gets better, but since it's so short that I'll finish it tomorrow or Friday, I've decided to just read it anyway. :cool:

Wow - you have your reading for the year well planned!

Marley and Me by John Grogane

I loved this book. Have your tissues handy.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I'm reading this right now. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Wow - you have your reading for the year well planned!

I loved this book. Have your tissues handy.

I'm reading this right now. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Lol, yes :P I thought I'd better plan vigilantly as I have a LOT of ebooks to read. I think I'll end up reading more than what's in the list though :) (Unless there's any really long ones.)

I've put off reading Marley and Me for a while, thinking it wouldn't be my kind of book. But then last year I read this book about a cat and enjoyed it, so thought I'd try one about a dog this year :P

I don't really know much about A Wrinkle in Time, but I do like things to do with time travel (e.g. doctor who) in general. I hope to get around to reading The Time Traveller's Wife eventually as well. I'll definitely post my thoughts on it when I read it. Hopefully they'll be more favourable than the thoughts I have about the book I'm reading right now ;)

Edited by ashleighjane

Hi Ashleighjane, That is unusual to see the TBR micromanaged like that into specific months I will be interested to see if that helps or hinders you. I notice that you have mixed up the genres within in each month though. Good luck! I look forward to reading your reviews

Hi Ashleighjane, That is unusual to see the TBR micromanaged like that into specific months I will be interested to see if that helps or hinders you. I notice that you have mixed up the genres within in each month though. Good luck! I look forward to reading your reviews

Lol, I'll be interested to ;) I've never even had a TBR list before because I've never had enough books at once to bother, but that's changed since I've discovered e-books. The mixing up on genres wasn't entirely intentional though. I just did a search of each letters in the month and picked out ones I liked the look of. Which may not have been a good based on the book I'm reading right now :doh:

Thanks :) I think that luck'll probably prove to be useful somewhere along the way :D

OK. Yes I never had a TBR pile till I came here either! People feel very differently about their TBR piles. Personally if mine gets too big it starts to get me down. Chesilbeach is a legend because last year she actually managed to clear hers down to zero. You will find out how you feel about it as you go along.

The main thing is, it is meant to be fun! If you find you are not enjoying your reading plan don't be afraid to chop and change as you go.

But do tell us all about it. It is always interesting to read other's reading habits.

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox - 2/5

I didn't enjoy reading this book very much. It was written in a very juvenile manner. The main character was supposed to be 30, but spent most of the book acting like a 15 year old, and all of the other characters seemed very 2 dimensional and VERY annoying.

The book did redeem itself a little at the end though, which is how it managed to scrape a 2/5.

I definitely wont be reading any other books in the series and hope that since I started 2013 with a book I didn't like, the rest of the books I read in 2013 will be good :)

Edited by ashleighjane

Wow, what an interesting experimentation, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how your planned out months go along! :) I hope you have a fantabulous reading year in 2013! :smile2:

Oh and btw, excellent avatar :D That's a great book.

Edit: Oooh, I just noticed your comment about A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets! I've seen the title here and there for a while now and thanks to your link I finally found out what it's about, that's definitely going on my wishlist! If you liked that, I think you'll like Marley, too. And maybe this book, I loved it.

I definitely wont be reading any other books in the series and hope that since I started 2013 with a book I didn't like, the rest of the books I read in 2013 will be good :)

Just think, your reads can only get better from here! :D Good luck with your reading in 2013. Like Vodkafan, I'll be interested to see how it works out, having such a planned reading list.

I too will be interested to see how having your months planned out goes! I couldn't do that simply because my interests change often on a weekly or daily basis - I might be really excited about reading one book and then suddenly I discover another title I simply can't ignore (Thirteen Reasons Why is a good example of this - I only heard the title today but I plan to get it and read it asap!)

As for A Wrinkle In Time, it's a very good book, a little strange, and if I recall, considered slightly preachy in religious allegory. I was a very unreligious child the last time I read it, though, so I barely remember that aspect at all. I might re-read it myself this year!

Great planning of your TBR, ashleighjane :smile2: When my TBR was over 100 books, I used to plan the order of them so that I knew what I had coming up, and mixed up the different genres and non-fiction and found it really helped me stick to my challenge to read them all before buying any new books. Good luck with your 2013 reading!

Edited by chesilbeach

Five Go Adventuring Again by Enid Blyton This one is for my inner child

That's wonderful. :)

I've always loved The Famous Five

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet B Stowe

This is one of my favourite books

I hope you enjoy it too. :)

I too will be interested to see how having your months planned out goes! I couldn't do that simply because my interests change often on a weekly or daily basis - I might be really excited about reading one book and then suddenly I discover another title I simply can't ignore (Thirteen Reasons Why is a good example of this - I only heard the title today but I plan to get it and read it asap!)

As for A Wrinkle In Time, it's a very good book, a little strange, and if I recall, considered slightly preachy in religious allegory. I was a very unreligious child the last time I read it, though, so I barely remember that aspect at all. I might re-read it myself this year!

I keep discovering new books that I want to read too. Mostly through book-tubers (which is how I discovered 13 reasons) I'm hoping that having a structured list will stop me from buying more books, because I have enough to read as it is. :P Plus spending money=bad ;) So no more watching book-tubers for me. :angel_not:

I'm looking forward to reading A Wrinkle in Time. I don't really notice religious themes much, unless they're blatantly stated :P Maybe this is because I'm not religious myself.

Great planning of your TBR, ashleighjane :smile2: When my TBR was over 100 books, I used to plan the order of them so that I knew what I had coming up, and mixed up the different genres and non-fiction and found it really helped me stick to my challenge to read them all before buying any new books. Good luck with your 2013 reading!

Lol, my TBR is definitely over 100 :blink: I don't usually read non-fiction, but I did throw a couple into this years list. I'm hoping this list stops me from buying new books too. thank you! :)

That's wonderful. :)

I've always loved The Famous Five

This is one of my favourite books

I hope you enjoy it too. :)

I enjoy reading The Famous Five books since they're nice short and easy reads that don't require much brain power. I also plan on re-reading Blyton's Naughtiest School Girl series at some point too.

I have no idea what Uncle Tom's Cabin is about, but I've seen it mentioned/referenced quite a few times, so I guessed it was about time I read it. :P

I enjoy reading The Famous Five books since they're nice short and easy reads that don't require much brain power. I also plan on re-reading Blyton's Naughtiest School Girl series at some point too.

I haven't read the Famous Five books for years, but they're on the bookshelf at the top of the stairs, so I see them everyday and wonder if I might go through the lot again! I still have my Naughtiest Girl books too, but I must have read them so much when I was little as they're falling apart now :D I keep hoping to see the original Blyton's released as Kindle, but at the moment, they only seem to have the "revised" or re-written editions. :(

I still have my Naughtiest Girl books too, but I must have read them so much when I was little as they're falling apart now :D

Yay! I love Elizabeth Allen too - and the wonderful Whyteleafe School.

I had a gorgeous three-in-one - which I re-read ever so often (until my cousin "borrowed" it forever).

I've put off reading Marley and Me for a while, thinking it wouldn't be my kind of book. But then last year I read this book about a cat and enjoyed it, so thought I'd try one about a dog this year :P

I still haven't read Marley & Me, I think the trailers for the film put me off, but as frankie has recommended it I have now added it to my wish list.. I have A Street Cat Named Bob on my shelf and I think I will be getting around to it soon. I have read quite a few doggy books and from last years reading I can highly recommend A Dog's Purpose: A Novel for Humans by W. Bruce Cameron, I found the first chapter or two a little odd but loved it once I got the gist of it.. here's a link.. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogs-Purpose-novel-humans/dp/144721062X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357425425&sr=8-1

I still haven't read Marley & Me, I think the trailers for the film put me off, but as frankie has recommended it I have now added it to my wish list.. I have A Street Cat Named Bob on my shelf and I think I will be getting around to it soon. I have read quite a few doggy books and from last years reading I can highly recommend A Dog's Purpose: A Novel for Humans by W. Bruce Cameron, I found the first chapter or two a little odd but loved it once I got the gist of it.. here's a link.. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dogs-Purpose-novel-humans/dp/144721062X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357425425&sr=8-1

*Sees kindle edition but forces self to resist urge to buy*

It gives you something to aim at having it all planned out. I do like to attack my books at random but it can hinder and waste time.

The very best of luck with your 2013 reading, I'll be watching your blog with great interest (and cheering you on from the sidelines :))

My sister bought me A Street Cat Named Bob for Xmas so I'll be tackling it (hopefully) soon :D You see!?! if I was you I'd be able to say when I was planning on reading it :D

My sister bought me A Street Cat Named Bob for Xmas so I'll be tackling it (hopefully) soon :D You see!?! if I was you I'd be able to say when I was planning on reading it :D

Haha, I have plenty of books that I 'plan on reading sometime' ;)

I finished reading The Northern Lights (at about 2am this morning) :D

I gave it 4/5 stars.

Despite reading the book a few years ago, I couldn't really remember what happened, so it still managed to surprise me! :)

The Northern Lights is probably one of the most unique books I've ever read. I love that it is set in a world similar to ours, that manages to be so different at the same time.

To me, there is just the right balance between description and dialogue. I dislike books with tons and tons of dialogue, but on the other hand if their is too much description I tend to get bored and skip parts of it.

Altogether, I'm glad I decided to re-read TNL. It seems to make more sense to me as an adult than it did as a child. I sometimes wonder why it is even classed as children's fiction.

Hi Ashleighjane :006: I bought The Northern Lights for my children but haven't got round to reading yet myself but i intend to do so at some point when i've got my own book pile down a bit.

Happy reading for 2013 :smile: