Claire's book list 2013

chesilbeach

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, Kidsmum, I hadn't heard of a lot of them either! 

Christmas at High Rising by Angela Thirkell
How To Eat Out by Giles Coren
Saplings by Noel Streatfeild

Kay bought me these - I'd actually bought her another Angela Thirkell book, so we were obviously both tempted by the covers on these new editions!  The Noel Streadfeild book is a Persephone Classic, so it'll be one for my Persephone reading challenge, and one I'm really looking forward to.  I hadn't heard of the Giles Coren book, but I know of him, so I'm sure this will be an interesting read. :)

Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis
Alex, the Dog and the Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery
Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll

These were gifts from my OH, and all are children's or YA books, and I hadn't heard of any of them.  Gill Lewis has a couple of other books out, but she's a new author to me, but I think the other two have both published fairly recently and are first books by the authors.

The others are not "reading" books as such, but I'll enjoy perusing the baking books and trying out the recipes!

Kay bought me these - I'd actually bought her another Angela Thirkell book, so we were obviously both tempted by the covers on these new editions!  The Noel Streadfeild book is a Persephone Classic, so it'll be one for my Persephone reading challenge, and one I'm really looking forward to.  I hadn't heard of the Giles Coren book, but I know of him, so I'm sure this will be an interesting read. :)

Such a co-incidence over the Thirkell's .. though we were clever enough not to get the same book .. well done us!! :D I know you like foodie books and also that you like Victoria Coren (hope I'm correct) so here's hoping you like Giles :D I know it will be funny .. least I hope it will be  :blush2: I haven't read Saplings but I did like Ballet Shoes and I'm pretty sure someone on here said it was there fave Persephone .. anyway I know you have a quest to read them all so  it was a case of plucking one from the list and crossing fingers and all that :blush2:  

I love the sound of your other books .. Alex, the Dog and the Unopenable Door .. what a great title. Also Frost Hollow Hall conjures up all sorts of images (Lord! I've just seen the cover .. how beautiful :smile:)  Happy Reading Claire  :smile: 

Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll is a YA ghost story set in a country house in the nineteenth century, and it's told from the point of view of Tilly, a young girl from the local village, who almost drowns under the ice on the lake in the grounds of the hall, and after that experience, sets out to find out the truth behind the death of the only son of the family, who drowned after skating on thin ice on the lake ten years earlier.  I won't say too much more about the plot, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might read it.

This is the first book from author Carroll, and a very good debut it is.  Tilly is a strong character, but in the 1880s, that doesn't always work in your favour, and learns that she has to hold her tongue in the upstairs downstairs part of the story.  I'm a bit of a scaredy cat, but I still thought the ghostly goings on were quite chilling at times, and there was a real sense of peril in the darkness.  Perfect reading for a cold and dark December afternoon.

Such a co-incidence over the Thirkell's .. though we were clever enough not to get the same book .. well done us!! :D

It is an odd coincidence - we are very clever though, and deserve a pat on the back each! :D

I know you like foodie books and also that you like Victoria Coren (hope I'm correct) so here's hoping you like Giles :D I know it will be funny .. least I hope it will be  :blush2:

I do love Victoria Coren, so I'm definitely looking forward to reading Giles too. ;)

I haven't read Saplings but I did like Ballet Shoes and I'm pretty sure someone on here said it was there fave Persephone .. anyway I know you have a quest to read them all so it was a case of plucking one from the list and crossing fingers and all that :blush2:

Any Persephone book would have been welcome, but this was definitely one I'd been keen to read, so thanks for your foresight and picking it for me!  :thankyousigna2:

I love the sound of your other books .. Alex, the Dog and the Unopenable Door .. what a great title. Also Frost Hollow Hall conjures up all sorts of images (Lord! I've just seen the cover .. how beautiful :smile:

Frost Hollow Hall was very good, just about the level of spookiness that I can cope with, and I'm just about to start on Alex … next - it sounds very promising, so it looks like there were some great choices from OH, although I'm sure he just bought books he'd like to read too!  He's already eyeing up Frost Hollow Hall :giggle2:

I've just finished my last book of the year, one of my Christmas presents - Alex, the Dog and an Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery.  Great kids book, fun, exciting and sad in parts, but an excellent quest for children, and one I think would work well read aloud.  Probably aimed at the 8-12 year old, but certainly entraining enough for this adult to read too.  :)  The style actually reminded me a lot of Emma Kennedy's Wilma Tenderfoot series, the last of which I read earlier this year, and it was one of my favourite reads of the year.

So that's the end of 2013 reading for me.  182 books in total, which is my most ever, but it hasn't been the most rewarding of years.  Too often I've gone for easy reads or tried the free Kindle books available, and while on the whole it's been entertaining, I don't feel I've enriched my life by many of the books I've read.  I'm not one for believing that you should only read "improving" books, and I feel that reading should be a pleasure, but I do notice when I don't read anything with any depth for a while, and I think other factors in my life have affected my reading this year which has resulted in a rather shallow period.

I have other plans for my leisure time next year, so I know the number of books I read will be lower, and although I do keep a tally (the statistician in me won't allow me not to :giggle2:) I'm not bothered by the prospect of a downward trend in the total number.  What I do intend, however, is to make sure that I read some more demanding books, and take a more considered decision on what book to read next.  Bring on 2014! :smile2:

The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna

It's not very often on here (or any other foreign place, for that matter) that some foreigner has read a Finnish book, by an author I haven't read yet, and a novel I know nothing about :blush::D You've managed to educate this Finn on a Finnish novel!

The bird incident aside, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the book! And it's great to also hear that the translation worked!

If you want to read other Finnish novels, I would heartily recommend Purge by Sofi Oksanen. Yes, it deals with Estonian history to a rather great extent, but the author is Finnish and there are Finnish characters and some of the story is set in Finland, too. I would say it's one of Finland's finest novels, by one of Finland's finest authors :) Kay has a copy, and she's a bit intimidated by the book, so maybe she could lend you the book if you're interested... Ha! (No pressure, of course. I just love the book and will always keep on promoting it, rather shamelessly, on here and anywhere. I know pontalba, June and Marie have read it and enjoyed it more or less!)

House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

I find Alastair Reynolds rather intimidating, and I was really surprised to see you picking a novel by him as your first full on science fiction novel, but then I read on and realised it was a book group choice. Still, I applaud you for trying it and persevering! And I really enjoyed your review. And even though Reynolds scares the pants out of me, I'm now mildly curious about the novel... Oh dear!!

I'm still not sure I'd attempt another, but I would no longer rule it out.

Do you mean another Reynolds or another sci-fi read?

The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier

I didn't read the synopsis on the cover before I started the book, and the only other Du Maurier I've read is Rebecca, so the opening chapter of this book was a bit of a shock. I was so surprised I had to go and find the synopsis to find out what on earth was going on!

I'm sorry but that made me lol =D So funny! I've only read a few du Maurier's, but yeah, I don't think one would expect that sort of novel... But then again, du Maurier is pretty versatile. No wait, I'm again confusing her with Susan Hill. When will this end! (I was thinking of I'm the King of the Castle and for a second thought it was du Maurier's novel. Why do I always mix these two women authors up??)

Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield

A very good decision to swap this book with frankie - I'll be adding the next book in the series to my wish list.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the book! :smile2: It's always a relief when the other person has liked the swap book.

Oh man, I'm so far behind!!!! I'm not sure I'll actually catch up to be honest, but reading has been mostly uninspired stuff over the last couple months as work and other tasks have been eating into my reading time. In fact, over the last week or so, I've struggled to even read at work during my lunch break, as going from concentrating on work to try and relax to read has just made me feel sleepy, and I've either read the same page over and over again for minutes of end, or read a chunk of my book only to come back the next day and realise I'd taken none of it in! Things are much better now though, and hoping to have some free time to get back to some serious reading. I think the week between Christmas and New Year is often my most productive week of reading in the entire year!

It's always vexing when one doesn't have enough time to read, and then when one tries, one cannot concentrate... You had a lot on your plate, and it just wasn't on for your mojo. I know thinking about catching up with reviews and logs only makes it worse, because it's all supposed to be fun, and not a task.

You know this thread will always be here if you do decide to catch up, and if you have the stamina and inspiration to do it. And if you don't... Well, it's better to just take a deep breath and try and move on, concentrate on your current books and the new log :smile2: Geez, I hope that didn't sound patronizing.

Still behind with the reviews, but I was a very lucky girl and got some lovely books for Christmas:

The list is:

Christmas at High Rising by Angela Thirkell

How To Eat Out by Giles Coren

Saplings by Noel Streatfeild

Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis

Alex, the Dog and the Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery

Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll

Metropolis by Shaun Tan

Meringue Girls Cook Book (this may turn into my favourite cook book ever as I adore meringues!)

I also had some gift cards and bought some more cookery ebooks:

Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard

Celebrations from The Primrose Bakery

Home Sweet Home from The Hummingbird Bakery[/font][/color]

I have to say, I haven't heard of any of the books OR the authors, but I'm happy that I'm not the only one ... :D What a great haul, though! Enjoy the books :smile2:

So that's the end of 2013 reading for me.  182 books in total, which is my most ever, but it hasn't been the most rewarding of years.  Too often I've gone for easy reads or tried the free Kindle books available, and while on the whole it's been entertaining, I don't feel I've enriched my life by many of the books I've read.  I'm not one for believing that you should only read "improving" books, and I feel that reading should be a pleasure, but I do notice when I don't read anything with any depth for a while, and I think other factors in my life have affected my reading this year which has resulted in a rather shallow period.

I know it's not about numbers, but I still have to congratulate you. 182 books is amazing!! You read 103 more books than I did this year :D

I have other plans for my leisure time next year, so I know the number of books I read will be lower, and although I do keep a tally (the statistician in me won't allow me not to) I'm not bothered by the prospect of a downward trend in the total number.  What I do intend, however, is to make sure that I read some more demanding books, and take a more considered decision on what book to read next.  Bring on 2014!

:D Never ignore the statistician... She'll get you for it if you do!

It's not very often on here (or any other foreign place, for that matter) that some foreigner has read a Finnish book, by an author I haven't read yet, and a novel I know nothing about :blush::D You've managed to educate this Finn on a Finnish novel!

The bird incident aside, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the book! And it's great to also hear that the translation worked!

Interestingly, when I was in Mr B's bookshop just before Christmas, I noticed that they have produced a limited edition hardback of another of Arto Paasilinna's books - The Howling Miller.  I couldn't justify spending that amount on a book for myself so close to Christmas, but I might see if they still have any on my next visit to Bath and try that one too.

If you want to read other Finnish novels, I would heartily recommend Purge by Sofi Oksanen. Yes, it deals with Estonian history to a rather great extent, but the author is Finnish and there are Finnish characters and some of the story is set in Finland, too. I would say it's one of Finland's finest novels, by one of Finland's finest authors :) Kay has a copy, and she's a bit intimidated by the book, so maybe she could lend you the book if you're interested... Ha! (No pressure, of course. I just love the book and will always keep on promoting it, rather shamelessly, on here and anywhere. I know pontalba, June and Marie have read it and enjoyed it more or less!)

Is it a crime novel?  I just had a look on amazon, and the first review says not to read the blurb or other reviews as they spoil the story, but one of the comments mentions crime, and the cover looks like that might be the case too.  I'm not great with crime fiction, unless it's a bit quirky, as in comic or historical, and nothing too violent or graphic - will I be okay with this one, do you think?

Do you mean another Reynolds or another sci-fi read?

Probably both!  One of the other people at the book group had read other Reynolds books, but all the ones she talked about didn't sound like anything I would want to read, so I think it's more aimed at him than science fiction in general.  I do read all the reviews on Steve, Laura, James and Tim's threads, and see if anything jumps out at me to dip my toes in again, but nothing so far. Maybe 2014 will be the year.

I'm sorry but that made me lol =D So funny! I've only read a few du Maurier's, but yeah, I don't think one would expect that sort of novel... But then again, du Maurier is pretty versatile. No wait, I'm again confusing her with Susan Hill. When will this end! (I was thinking of I'm the King of the Castle and for a second thought it was du Maurier's novel. Why do I always mix these two women authors up??)

It was certainly a surprise, but it's made me even more curious to read more Du Maurier.  There's one of her books on the English Counties challenge, so I don't think it'll be too much longer before I get to do that.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the book! :smile2: It's always a relief when the other person has liked the swap book.

I know, although at least with a swap, even if the person doesn't like it, they haven't had to spend any money on it, so they're not out of pocket.

It's always vexing when one doesn't have enough time to read, and then when one tries, one cannot concentrate... You had a lot on your plate, and it just wasn't on for your mojo. I know thinking about catching up with reviews and logs only makes it worse, because it's all supposed to be fun, and not a task.

You know this thread will always be here if you do decide to catch up, and if you have the stamina and inspiration to do it. And if you don't... Well, it's better to just take a deep breath and try and move on, concentrate on your current books and the new log :smile2: Geez, I hope that didn't sound patronising.

Of course you don't sound patronising - just supportive.  :friends3:   I'm actually thinking I'm just going to draw a line under 2013, put it behind me, and not do this --> :banghead: .  Onwards and upwards! 

I have to say, I haven't heard of any of the books OR the authors, but I'm happy that I'm not the only one ... :D What a great haul, though! Enjoy the books :smile2:

Thanks. I was chatting to OH about it this morning, and he admitted he just picked some books he'd like to read himself, so it was just a strange coincidence that all his choices were debut or fairly new authors, and I love reading books that no-one else I know has read, as when you find a gem, it's nice to be able to spread the news.

I know it's not about numbers, but I still have to congratulate you. 182 books is amazing!! You read 103 more books than I did this year :D

I just wish there had been more good 'uns in there but there's no denying that 182 was an spectacular number. I don't think I'll get close to matching that this year, but I have no qualms about that, I just want a better year of reading this time around.

Claire

Quite an impressive book total for the year . Some of you guys just amaze me with how many books you can get through in a year's time !  Is that your highest total ever ?

Thanks Julie.  I've only kept records since 2006, but even remembering back further, yes, I do think this is my highest total. :)

Interesting what you say about

Too often I've gone for easy reads or tried the free Kindle books available, and while on the whole it's been entertaining, I don't feel I've enriched my life by many of the books I've read. I'm not one for believing that you should only read "improving" books, and I feel that reading should be a pleasure, but I do notice when I don't read anything with any depth for a while, and I think other factors in my life have affected my reading this year which has resulted in a rather shallow period.......What I do intend, however, is to make sure that I read some more demanding books, and take a more considered decision on what book to read next.  Bring on 2014! :smile2:

Interesting to read you saying that, because that's pretty much the way I feel about next year too. I read a lot less than you (about 50 or so a year nowadays, 60 my best ever). One way I'm phrasing this though to help is to talk in terms of how rewarding they are, rather than how demanding! As you say, it's not about "improving", but I find more and more that I get far more pleasure/reward out of a book that makes me work a bit. That's not to say that lighter books aren't needed - all that heavy food needs something to leaven it a bit! I'm using the Counties Challenge (which looks a brilliant list!) and personal TBR lists of non-fiction and classics to help provide that motivation. Good luck with your reading in 2014; hope this works out!

Edited by willoyd