Claire's book list 2013

chesilbeach

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan

Synopsis: (from amazon.co.uk)

When Richard Hannay is warned of an assassination plot that has the potential to take Britain into a war, and then a few days later discovers the murdered body of the American that warned him in his flat, he becomes a prime suspect. He flees to the moors of Scotland and a spirited chase begins as he is pursued by the police and the German spies involved with stealing British plans.

Review:

I absolutely loved this book!  What a thrilling ride of a story it was, and I know I've mentioned elsewhere that for the whole of my reading, I had the theme from Dick Barton: Secret Agent running through my head. :D  The action rolls along at a cracking pace, and there are thrills and spills aplenty, but without graphic violence or foul language, and made for an exciting story suitable for almost everyone.  I've never seen a film or television adaptation of the book, and from the clips of those I've seen, I'd always assumed it was going to be more staid, but Hannay really has to transform himself at times in order to hide, and there never felt like a dull moment in the entire story.  I've downloaded all the other Buchan free ebooks I can find, and full intend to read more.

Life Class by Pat Barker

Spring, 1914. The students at the Slade School of Art gather in Henry Tonks's studio for his life-drawing class. But for Paul Tarrant the class is troubling, underscoring his own uncertainty about making a mark on the world. When war breaks out and the army won't take Paul, he enlists in the Belgian Red Cross just as he and fellow student Elinor Brooke admit their feelings for one another. Amidst the devastation in Ypres, Paul comes to see the world anew - but have his experiences changed him completely?

Review:

This is my local reading group book for next month. I've never read any Pat Barker before, but have only heard good things of the Regeneration WWI trilogy, so was interested to read Life Class. The first problem I had was the synopsis. It basically, and albeit briefly, tells you everything that happens in the first half of the book! Why would you do that, publishers?

Now, onto the actual story itself - I just found it confusing. Was it about war? Well, the second half was set in Ypres in WW1, but it focuses more on the injuries treated at the hospital, but with quite a distant feel to it, and I didn't feel that I was reading a book about war. I know Barker was trying to find a different viewpoint of war, from that of the hospital, but I'm not sure I got the sense that it was a war zone, and I couldn't relate it to other depictions of the same period and place. If you want to read about WW1, read either William - An Englishman by Cecily Hamilton (which is excellent) or Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

So, perhaps it was about art, and the impact of war on an artist? I was never really convinced by the art element of the story. There was little description of the art produced by the students and artists before the war, so I had little sense of their work, and then when Paul does finally starts producing pieces during his experiences in the field hospital that I think you are meant to feel that have genuinely inspired him and have meaning, again, there are only brief descriptions of the paintings and little of the emotions that drive him to paint. If you want to read about art that makes you "see" the artwork and feel the emotion and drive of an artist, try An Equal Stillness by Francesca Kay.

Then it must have been about love? If only I had felt love between the characters, I might have connected more with the story. I never believed for one second that Elinor loved Paul or vice versa. Elinor is a very composed, almost insular person, and it never felt that Paul loved her as a person, just the thought of her. I never felt an emotional connection between them, and I found it difficult to believe their relationship.

I know I'm being really harsh here, as I read it all and there was never a moment when I felt that I wanted to put it down, I wanted to keep reading to find out where the story was going, and how the characters would develop, but when I got to the end, I did wonder what it was meant to say to me. I'm looking forward to my reading group meeting, as I really want to find out what other people thought about it, and maybe find what I missed that would elevate this story. I certainly wouldn't say NOT to read it, as I'd be very interested to hear others thoughts on it, and to discuss why I'm wrong. It is a book that made me want to keep reading, and I still wonder whether I've missed something.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Orphaned Jane Eyre grows up in the home of her heartless aunt and later attends a charity school with a harsh regime, enduring loneliness and cruelty. This troubled childhood strengthens Jane's natural independence and spirit - which prove necessary when she finds a position as governess at Thornfield Hall. However, when she finds love with her sardonic employer, Rochester, the discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a choice. Should she stay with him and live with the consequences, or follow her convictions, even if it means leaving the man she loves?

Review:

This was my second reading of Jane Eyre, and I enjoyed it more than the first time I read it. I'd completely forgotten how long the book was (my Kindle edition said 557 pages), I was surprised how much of the book is set in Jane's childhood. For such a long book, it rarely feels slow, although yet again, I found the period with the Rivers dragged on a bit. Jane is such a wonderful heroine who defies her upbringing to strive to become an independent, educated woman, with strong beliefs and morals, but still spirited, passionate and loving.

We read this for my reading group last month, and one of the group commented that Rochester's proposal is too long and drawn out, but I think that adds to the drama and emotion of the scene, and I think we sometimes forget that life was so different in those days, with fewer distractions and activities for the wealthy, and with such strict rules for social interaction, I imagine that all events of this nature would have been more considered and contemplated than nowadays.

A thoroughly enjoyable book, and one I know I'll revisit again in the future. I'm also going to re-read Wide Sargasso Sea at some point, which I actually liked more than Jane Eyre and think it was an excellent companion piece.

The Secret McQueen series by Sierra Dean:

1. Something Secret This Way Comes

2. A Bloody Good Secret

2.5 Secret Santa

3. Deep Dark Secret

4. Keeping Secret

5. Grave Secret

Synopsis: (From the blurb for the first book in the series, via sierradean.com)

Some secrets are dangerous. This Secret is deadly.

For Secret McQueen, her life feels like the punch line for a terrible joke. Abandoned at birth by her werewolf mother, hired as a teen by the vampire council of New York City to kill rogues, Secret is a part of both worlds, but belongs to neither. At twenty-two, she has carved out as close to a normal life as a bounty hunter can.

Review:

I came across these books while searching for paranormal books on the Amazon Kindle store, and thought I'd give the first one a go, and ended up reading them all within a week! Smart, sassy heroine, good supernatural society living hidden within the human world, romantic triangles, and fantastic thrilling adventures to boot. I like how the author puts a warning on each book, so you know exactly what to expect - here's the one for the first book:

Warning: This book contains a sarcastic, kick-ass bounty hunter; a metaphysical love triangle with two sexy werewolves; a demanding vampire council; and a spicy seasoning of sex and violence..

Loved the series, and will definitely continue to read more. A word of warning - Amazon have the numbering for the series incorrect, so if you are planning to read them, check the authors website to find the right order, as some are short stories that fit in the series in a certain place, and it's a good idea to read them in the order intended.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
Double Crossed by Ally Carter

Review:
The second Heist Society novel and a free short story where this series meets her other YA series, the Gallagher Girls, these two were great fun, and full of action.  I love YA books full of derring-do and mix that with high class thievery, and I'm there!  The heroines are smart and brave, but not without flaws, and the settings are lavish and showcase the glamorous lifestyle we all (imagine) the wealthy have.  I have the next Heist Society novel on my wish list for future reading.  I think Ally Carter's writing is great for the YA market, and her books are fun, engaging, entertaining, and pure escapism.

House Rules by Chloe Neill

Review:

I won't add a synopsis for this one, as it's the fifth book in the Chicagoland Vampires series, but another great addition in my opinion.  Merit is another strong heroine, turned vampire against her wishes, but making the most of her new life, and displaying her usual tenacity and dedication to her principles.  Lots of action, plenty of twists and turns for the Cadogan house, and the political landscape in both the vampire and human worlds lead to another mystery for Merit to deal with.  Love this series, and looking forward to the next instalment later in the year.
Edited by chesilbeach

Water by Terra Harmony

Elemental powers in the palm of her hand…and it won't be enough to save her. When Kaitlyn Alder is involuntarily introduced to a life of magic, she becomes part of an organization hell-bent on saving the Earth. Her newfound life holds promises of purpose, romance, and friendship, but the organization divides and a rogue member holds Kaitlyn hostage. Now one of the most terrifying men the human race has to offer stands between her and Earth's survival.

Review:

The first in a series of supernatural books, which initially I enjoyed as there was an unusual storyline and mixed in some elements of the Gaia theory which I studied a few years ago, but as it went on, I was less enamoured, and it became slightly ludicrous and rather nasty.  Not for me, and I won't be carrying on with the series.

A Bit of Bite by Cynthia Eden

Synopsis: (from amazon.co.uk

A killer is stalking the streets of Crossroads, Mississippi, and it's up to Sheriff Ava Dushaine to stop him. But when suspicion falls on werewolf alpha Julian Kasey - Ava's ex-lover and the man who still haunts her dreams - Ava knows that she'll either have to prove his innocence ... or watch the whole town go up in flames.

Review:

Short vampire/werewolf paranormal romance story, and I did enjoy it although very short and little development really, but I liked Eden's writing so I think I will probably have a look at her full length novels at some point.

Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson

Thanks for the review! :) This sounds right up my alley, I like reading books in different eras and I like British village settings. It's gone to my wishlist!

Back Story by David Mitchell

Review:
David suffers from back problems and was advised to take up walking to help alleviate the pain.  While taking the reader along with him on his normal route through London, he tells the story of his life and career.  I've never seen Peep Show or That Mitchell and Webb Look, but I have seen David on panel shows such as QI and Would I Lie To You? so I was familiar with his voice and sense of humour, and they shone through the pages of the book.  Humorous memoir, albeit with some very strong language at times, and even the story of how he met his wife, Victoria Coren (who I'm a huge admirer of, and loved her own memoir, For Richer, For Poorer).  A very entertaining read.

I've yet to read the book myself :lurker:   I don't actually know why I haven't started yet, goodness knows I want to read it badly! Do you think you would want to give Peep Show a go if they showed it on TV at a convenient time for you? I've never liked That Mitchell and Webb Look but I love Peep Show and would highly recommend it :yes:

I'm also, maybe a bit surprisingly, happy that you like Victoria Coren, because I've been mega jealous because she got to marry my Mitchell, but at least he found someone great. And it's not nice to harbour ill feelings towards a nice person, is it :giggle2:

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

I struggled with this more than you did, I thought the narrative was all over the place and I couldn't make hear nor tale of it. So in that respect you did bloody marvellous with the book, in my humble opinion :D I'm sorry the book was a bit of a let-down regarding the plot, though. I've only read this one novel by her, but like willoyd said, I think Woolf was all about narrative and all that jazz, and not that much about an actual plot.

I'm happy, though, that this book didn't dishearten you to the point where you decided you'd give Woolf a complete miss in the future. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on with her the nex time :)

Note to self: loved this article The 10 best words the internet has given English. Book added to wish list :smile2:

This looks interesting! I don't much care for books about internet and all that, but as this one's about words, it sounds interesting!

Thanks for the review! :) This sounds right up my alley, I like reading books in different eras and I like British village settings. It's gone to my wishlist!

Always delighted when someone wants to read this based on my recommendation - hope you enjoy it when you get it! :smile2:

I've yet to read the book myself :lurker:   I don't actually know why I haven't started yet, goodness knows I want to read it badly! Do you think you would want to give Peep Show a go if they showed it on TV at a convenient time for you? I've never liked That Mitchell and Webb Look but I love Peep Show and would highly recommend it :yes:

I'm also, maybe a bit surprisingly, happy that you like Victoria Coren, because I've been mega jealous because she got to marry my Mitchell, but at least he found someone great. And it's not nice to harbour ill feelings towards a nice person, is it :giggle2:

You should read it - I'm sure that as a fan of Mitchell, you'll love it! I may give Peep Show a chance, and I can see that series 7 and 8 are available on demand on my TV, or I can see all series using the 4OD on the internet, so I could watch them online at some point. I'd not really thought too much about it, but now you've prompted me to have a look, I'm actually tempted to try them out.

You definitely shouldn't harbour ill feelings to Victoria - she seems lovely, intelligent, witty, smart and can play a mean game of poker!

I struggled with this more than you did, I thought the narrative was all over the place and I couldn't make hear nor tale of it. So in that respect you did bloody marvellous with the book, in my humble opinion :D I'm sorry the book was a bit of a let-down regarding the plot, though. I've only read this one novel by her, but like willoyd said, I think Woolf was all about narrative and all that jazz, and not that much about an actual plot.

I'm happy, though, that this book didn't dishearten you to the point where you decided you'd give Woolf a complete miss in the future. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on with her the nex time :)

Don't hold your breath - it might be a while before I attempt her again! :giggle2:

Trouble in Mudbug by Jana DeLeon

Scientist Maryse Robicheaux thought that a lot of her problems had gone away with her mother-in-law’s death. The woman was rude, pushy, manipulative and used her considerable wealth to run herd over the entire town of Mudbug, Louisiana.  Unfortunately, death doesn’t slow down Helena one bit.  DEA Agent Luc LeJeune is wondering what his undercover assignment investigating the sexy scientist has gotten him into – especially as it seems someone wants her dead. Keeping his secrets while protecting Maryse proves to be easier than fighting his attraction for the brainy beauty. 

Review:

Another free first book in a series - this time the Ghost-in-Law Mysteries.  A murder mystery where the victim comes back as a ghost to haunt her daughter-in-law in order to convince the authorities of her murder and find the killer.  Throw in a bit of comedy and romance, and this turned out to be exactly the sort of crime novel I enjoy.   There are a few different mystery threads running through the plot, and not all the loose ends are tied up, setting it up nicely for the next book in the series.  Another good call by the publishers to make book one a freebie, as I will definitely be buying the next in the series at some point.

I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind :smile2: I was reading through your log and tried to see if I could find aswers to them in your recent posts but lucked out. Or maybe I missed something.

Last year you had this massive and massively exciting task of getting to zero TBR. You achieved that goal, and I still find it marvellous! :D However, now I'm wondering: What is your agenda now? Or do you not have one? Meaning, are you free to buy books whenever you want, or are you trying to keep the Mount TBR under some particular number? And do you think your book buying habits have changed because of last year: are you more particular about the books you acquire, or is it the complete opposite: now that you were at Zero TBR for a while, you consider fully entitled to go bonkers with book buying for a while? :D

I did see that your TBR stands at 18 at the moment, so I know you've been acquiring books, but I'm just curious about how you're working at the moment.

And bloody hell, you've already read 77 books this year! I bow down to you :thud:   :lol:

Always delighted when someone wants to read this based on my recommendation - hope you enjoy it when you get it! :smile2:

Well, like with you and Woolf: don't hold your breath, it might be a while before I get my hands on a copy and get to actually reading it :blush::giggle: But it's on the list!

You should read it - I'm sure that as a fan of Mitchell, you'll love it! I may give Peep Show a chance, and I can see that series 7 and 8 are available on demand on my TV, or I can see all series using the 4OD on the internet, so I could watch them online at some point. I'd not really thought too much about it, but now you've prompted me to have a look, I'm actually tempted to try them out.

Oh I'm sure I'll love it, it's just that I guess I've been trying to read the books in my bookcases that I feel I might like but wouldn't want to hold on to after reading. You know, so I could get rid of them and make room in the bookcases, and room in my apartment. And I'm quite illogically one of those people who like to read the not-so-keen-on-it books and saving the books I think will be the best til last. I've tried to rid myself of that pattern, because life's short and who knows when I'll keel over and kick all them buckets, you know :D

I'm happy to hear you are able to check out Peep Show whenever you feel like it. I don't want to pressure you in any way, but do check it out when you have the time, I'd be very interested in hearing what you made of it :D I think poppyshake would be curious to know, too! And Jänet! :)

You definitely shouldn't harbour ill feelings to Victoria - she seems lovely, intelligent, witty, smart and can play a mean game of poker!

You make sense, but then again, if you make her sound too wonderful, I'll get all the more jealous and annoyed because I'll feel inferior :rolleyes::lol: Oh dear. Bless her and Mitchell. Honest.

Don't hold your breath - it might be a while before I attempt her again! :giggle2:

Okay, I promise to be patient :D

Edit: And I'd recommend that if/when you decide to check out Peep Show, start from season 1, episode 1 :yes:

Edited by frankie

Of course I don't mind!

My agenda had been to get to the stage where as I finished one book, I decided what I wanted to read next, and just buy that one. So, if a review here really tempted me, I could simply just buy it as my next read. Alongside that I was going to continue with the various challenges I listed on the first page, with Jane Austen, J. L. Carr, E. H. Young and the Persephone books. It hasn't quite worked out like that. I've built up a bit of a TBR (although it needed a bit of updating, which you've prompted me to do, and it's down to 14 at the mo), and I'm working my way through these again now. The main problem is that I've had to cut back on book spending for a while, and due to things going on in real life, I wanted some light reading so I've been diverted onto Kindle free ebooks for the last couple of months. This has had the bigger impact on my book spending habits than anything else, but hopefully, keeping the TBR relatively low will continue, and I'll be able to get back to my original plan at some point in the future.

I've just come back from a week away though, and have sort of got back on track with reading some books that have been a bit more substantial, in amongst some beach type reads, and am getting back into the swing of taxing my brain occasionally :giggle2:, so I'm hoping to build on that even more in the coming weeks.

The 77 does sound more impressive than it actually is, as there are a smattering of audio books and a dose of short stories included in there, so don't be too swayed by it, but even so, I've never really been bothered by totals other than I like to do some statistical analysis at the end of the year. :roll:

Edited by chesilbeach

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The classic tale of a time traveller's journey to the world of 802,701 AD where humanity is divided between the bad and the beautiful, a simplistic vision at first glance but a prophetic take on a future that may not be so far removed from a reality yet to take hold, simply lurking in the shadows and waiting for the human race to bring it about by its own hand.

Review:

At the time I read this, I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I liked how Wells to life brought his vision of the future of humanity in the very far future. However, as I've thought about it since reading, I'm less keen on it now, and I've realised how much he was equating the future to the struggles of class and society in his own time, and actually it was so short that there wasn't enough space to examine it fully, and leaves me feeling that it was actually quite a slight story. I still have War of the Worlds to read, and The Time Machine certainly hasn't put me off reading it, so it's something I'm intrigued to try in the future.

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells

The classic tale of a time traveller's journey to the world of 802,701 AD where humanity is divided between the bad and the beautiful, a simplistic vision at first glance but a prophetic take on a future that may not be so far removed from a reality yet to take hold, simply lurking in the shadows and waiting for the human race to bring it about by its own hand.

Review:

At the time I read this, I have to say, I quite enjoyed it.  I liked how Wells to life brought his vision of the future of humanity in the very far future.  However, as I've thought about it since reading, I'm less keen on it now, and I've realised how much he was equating the future to the struggles of class and society in his own time, and actually it was so short that there wasn't enough space to examine it fully, and leaves me feeling that it was actually quite a slight story.  I still have War of the Worlds to read, and The Time Machine certainly hasn't put me off reading it, so it's something I'm intrigued to try in the future.

The Westerby Inheritance by M. C. Beaton

Lady Jane Lovelace has conceived the idea of approaching the most notorious man about town, Lord Charles Welbourne, with a most unique proposition. But when he counters her offer with a condition that he thinks will halt her impudence, much to the surprise of both, she accepts. A novel of passion and intrigue, [b[The Westerby Inheritance[/b] is the first volume of this new and emotionally charged romantic saga all played out against a backdrop of elegant eighteenth century society.

Review:

I've just read the synopsis of the book for the first time and can't quite match up the description in the last sentence with the book I read! :lol: Why on earth doesn't it make mention of the comedy? This is one of M. C. Beaton's earlier books when she wrote under a different name, and has now been republished. At the time she wrote historical romcoms, and this is no exception, told with a whimsical, but comedic tone, with the heroine stepping outside of the normal strictures imposed on them by society of the time, but where the supposedly mismatched couple always get together in the end. I love these books, rather silly, but charming and fun.

Death at Wentworth Court by Carola Dunn

No stranger to sprawling country estates, well-heeled Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground at Wentwater Court to cover a story for Town & Country magazine. But her interview gives way to interrogation when suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a chilly end on the tranquil skating pond.  With evidence that his death was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotland Yard so the culprit can't slip through their fingers like the unfortunate Astwick slipped through the ice ...

Review:

I bought this book after reading Ruth's review on her reading blog, and it was exactly what I was expecting.  A (albeit gentle) murder mystery set in a country house among the upper class of the 1920s.  The author gets the tone exactly right, with the dialogue, setting and all the period touches, and gives us a sensible, clever and brave heroine, with a nice touch of the middle and working class from the servants and police officers, with some humour and fun amongst the investigations.  I'm very fussy in the crime novels I like, but this was just my cup of tea - not graphic or too realistic, but a bit of escapism for a smashing Sunday read.

The Various Flavours of Coffee by Anthony Capella

It is 1895. Robert Wallis, would-be poet, bohemian and impoverished dandy, accepts a commission from coffee merchant Samuel Pinker to categorise the different tastes of coffee - and encounters Pinker’s free-thinking daughters, Philomenia, Ada and Emily. As romance blossoms with Emily, Robert realises that the Muse and marriage may not be incompatible after all. Sent to Abyssinia to make his fortune in the coffee trade, he becomes obsessed with a negro slave girl, Fikre. He decides to use the money he has saved to buy her from her owner - a decision that will change not only his own life, but the lives of the three Pinker sisters ...

Review:
I have to admit, I didn't really read the synopsis before I bought, or even started reading the book, I chose it because I'd loved Capella's first book, The Food of Love. Within the first couple of chapters of The Various Flavours of Coffee, I was reminded of The Crimson Petal and White with a similar setting and period, and although it didn't have quite the lush, dense detail of that book, the story engaged me from the start and it didn't detract from that. The real delight, however, was once Wallis has accepted the commission to categorise the flavours in coffee, with rich, evocative descriptions of the scent, look, feel and taste of the both the beans and the coffee drink itself.

The central characters of Robert and Emily seem very real, and I enjoyed how they matured over the period of the book, and the story of their romance was interesting to follow, as it was not a straight forward love story, and there are some unexpected twists and turns throughout. The secondary characters are a mixed bunch, some of whom I felt I knew well, while others weren't quite as well realised.

What I loved most, however, was that after two thirds of the book, I had no idea how the story was going to develop and resolve itself. I had no idea where it was going, and I thought the ending was unexpected, but still interesting and satisfying.

Overall, I would say that although there is some discussion of the role of women and feminism, as well as looking at class, sexual politics, colonialism and economics, it is very readable, and a very entertaining story.

Edited by chesilbeach

Of course I don't mind!

My agenda had been to get to the stage where as I finished one book, I decided what I wanted to read next, and just buy that one. So, if a review here really tempted me, I could simply just buy it as my next read. Alongside that I was going to continue with the various challenges I listed on the first page, with Jane Austen, J. L. Carr, E. H. Young and the Persephone books.

I like that idea, it would be pretty swell if one could keep up with it and just keep away from buying books until one has finished their current read! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you so that you'll get to that stage at some point :) I'm very confident you will, though, because you got your TBR to zero on your previous effort.

And whatever it is that's causing you to need lighter reads at the moment, I hope it's solved soon and you can get back to going for the heavier stuff. You've had a good start with that already so I hope it continues for you :)

The 77 does sound more impressive than it actually is, as there are a smattering of audio books and a dose of short stories included in there, so don't be too swayed by it, but even so, I've never really been bothered by totals other than I like to do some statistical analysis at the end of the year. :roll:

If you don't mind, I will still keep on finding it impressive :lol: I think I've done a decent job with the thirty or so books I've read, but there have been a few quick re-reads for me (like you, I have had to resort to light reads because of my situation in life, what a bother :rolleyes: But I'm getting back on track, I think), so I'm not feeling too good about it. You however have read double the amount of books compared to me, so there are no excuses, you're doing splendidly! :)