Would you recommend A Song of Ice and Fire for xmas present?

Star

Need some help please.

Would you recommend A Song of Ice and Fire for an xmas gift?

Its for a family member whos 60 (not sure if it's more of a blokes series or not) I don't know anything about it really. I know it's got good reviews though and was after a boxset.

She recently read 'The girl with a Dragon Tattoo' think she enjoyed it. She doesn't really have a specific genre and reads anything including the twilight series.

Advice please - found an offer for the boxset for today only ;)

From what you have said about your family member, I think it's tough to recommend. It's a fantasy series, and it's for adults (lots of sex, violence, swearing), but the main problem is it's still two books short of being complete, so she'd be reading all the books in the boxed set only to find there's no end in sight . . .

If it is a concern, I wouldn't be too put off by the fantasy element of the stories; for the most part they read more like medieval political thrillers (at least the first three/four books are like that!).

If she's put off by strong sex or violence, however, steer clear!.

I've only read the first one, but there's plenty there to entertain males or females (definitely adults only though!). I'm thinking of getting hold of the rest of the books with some of my Xmas money, because when I made my Xmas list, I hadn't read the first one and had no idea how much I would enjoy it! ;)

If she was able to cope with all the rape etc. in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I think she will be able to cope with A Game of Thrones :P I think that the only downside to the series is that the books are so long. My dad ended up buying A Dance with Dragons on Kindle because he decided that the hard back was too heavy to read :P

• 2 weeks later...