Devi's Mount TBR List 2014

Devi

Noooooooooooo! My glasses broke just now. :(

I can still read but its not as easy on my eyes. Hoping to get them fixed tomorrow.

Edited by Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh no, sympathy on the glasses! I'm a glasses wearer, and would be blind without them. I'm lucky in that I don't need them to read up close, but I need them for everything else.

I hope you get them fixed soon.

Oh no, not your glasses! :( I'm like BB, I'd be blind without mine. Hope you get them fixed soon. :(

It's great that the bride is so easy-going and is letting you wear what you want. A shawl will be really nice with any of those dress designs. :) Or you could get a bolero jacket, like this:

10568882_10152660982569497_3385195059696

I wore one with my wedding dress to cover up the tattoos - it felt a bit scratchy but looked quite elegant :)

Edited by Signor Finzione

My glasses are fixed! It only cost me $3 for the replacement screw, they also tightened the other side and cleaned my glasses for me. :)

I can read without them but its a little slower than when I wear them, and makes me tired. Also can give me a headache.

I really like that bolero jacket! Its the kind of thing I am looking for.

I have a scar on my shoulder from a burn I had when I was 18months old, the skin graft the surgeon did at the time was shoddy so it left me with perminant scaring. I'm not supposed to let the sun on it as its a sensitive area and gets sun burnt easily.

That bolero jacket looks nice :).

I wore one with my wedding dress to cover up the tattoos - it felt a bit scratchy but looked quite elegant :)

What kind of tattoos do you have?

My glasses are fixed! It only cost me $3 for the replacement screw, they also tightened the other side and cleaned my glasses for me. :)

I can read without them but its a little slower than when I wear them, and makes me tired. Also can give me a headache.

I really like that bolero jacket! Its the kind of thing I am looking for.

I have a scar on my shoulder from a burn I had when I was 18months old, the skin graft the surgeon did at the time was shoddy so it left me with perminant scaring. I'm not supposed to let the sun on it as its a sensitive area and gets sun burnt easily.

I'm so glad they are fixed, and for such a cheap price too :). I'm sorry to read about your scar, that's not nice at all. I hope you find something nice to cover it up so it doesn't get sunburned. :friends0:.

dc933f20b943772556e413112e8f4a88_zps743e

The Magicians End - Raymond E Feist

"Life is what happens, Magnus, no matter what you expect or want."

This is the final book in a series thats been going on for more than 30yrs. I started reading it back in 2005 after a uni friend recommend I read magician. I looked forward to my daily train trips during those three years of uni, as it was my only time I had free for the world of Midkemia. I've been reading the books for the last nine years and its quite a feeling knowing I have finished what was a major series for me, its a little sad to see it end but I was not disappointed.

This book gets quite philosophical. The nature of reality, the role of the gods, and the balance of good and evil are all themes that are explored quite often, which I rather enjoyed.

Heroes die and sacrifices are made in a book thats ambitious in scope. It comes with all the wit, humour, and adventures I have come to know and love from R.E.Fs writing. I do wonder if this is truly the end however as there were a few threads left dangling but it is definitely the end of a core story. I am hoping Raymond E. Feist will release more books on old characters like the original Jimmy The Hand - who was always my favourite.

3/5 Edited by Devi

I'm glad you enjoyed the last book of the series, Devi :). I look forward to starting (and finishing) the series myself at some point. It would be nice if Raymond E. Feist would release more books, for both our sakes I hope he does :).

8d735f10a3c69812e1d42ae39ed0a65a_zps3502

Doctor Doctor - Dr Rosemary Leonard

Just finished Doctor Doctor - Dr Rosemary Leonard. Enjoyed it so much that I went and bought her second book straight after finishing it. This book is full of incredible true tales from a gp based in the UK, I gather a rather famous one as she mentions writing for a newspaper and being on tv shows etc. There are a couple of sad stories but mostly funny and unusal ones. It left me wondering what my gp must go through every day lol.

If you enjoy reading non fiction books about everyday lives of some of the professions out there, i highly recommend this book.

4/5 Edited by Devi

b938c79f84f7dffd32874f3e0f07148a_zps80b6

Jimmy and the Crawler - Raymond E. Feist

I started and finished Jimmy and the Crawler by Raymond E. Feist in two sittings. Its a novella at only 144 pages and is
fourth book in the Riftwar Legacy saga. Great read, but then I could be a little biased as Jimmy the hand is pretty much my favourite character out of the lot. I just wish it had been longer.

I thought this was better than the last three books of his I read, as the writing is starting to feel a little sloppy and I especially noticed this with the final saga. It could be that Feist is growing tired of Midkemia, but all authors have their good books and bad, so maybe this is just a down period for him.

3/5 Edited by Devi

Great reviews of Feist, Devi. Jimmy the Hand is one of my favourites too! :) How sad that it's all over now though. :(

What kind of tattoos do you have?

Just black ones, nothing fancy. A tiger on my upper arm, a blackbird on my shoulder blade and a lizard on my calf. :)

I'm so glad they are fixed, and for such a cheap price too  :). I'm sorry to read about your scar, that's not nice at all. I hope you find something nice to cover it up so it doesn't get sunburned.  :friends0:.

Ditto! It sucks that something like happened to you when you were so small, and it sucks that they messed up the graft too.  :friends0:

3475b2dc30199884267c7084db9b5b63_zps0104

Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster

He has no name, no idea on where he, and very little memory. He calls himself Mr Blank, he is trapped (or is he) in a very sparse room. People come and go, but questions are left unanswered.

The first thing I noticed with this book, there was no punctuation used. It kind of bothered me at first, but it didn't effect my reading whatsoever. I somehow knew when there was talking and who it was so never did get lost. I thought it might of been a form of showing the bare essentials of the room that Mr Blank was in. Or I could just be reading into it too much.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Paul Auster book, though after I finished the book I did read some reviews which mentioned that this book, is perhaps not the best to start with. The characters in the novel are actually from his other books, it didn't really bother me all that much but it made me finally understand what this book might of been about, him living with the characters he has created. My original thoughts were that Mr Blank was some sort of war criminal, and the figures he saw in his head were prisoners of past war crimes he had committed - seems all so silly now.

There was some mild? sexual content but it didn't bother me, it might however bother others. Definitely will be reading more Auster in the near future. Oh and love the cover of my edition.

4/5

I think Mr Blank is in the New York Trilogy, which I read a while back ( and didn`t really get into ). I think he`s an author who either resonates with you or doesn`t and.... He just doesn`t do it for me. :smile:  Another one of those marmite authors. :giggle2:

I didn't the first time either.  But about 5 years later....... :blush2:  :giggle2:  Plus, I think NYTrilogy is different to many of his other books. 

It's been long enough now that I don't remember if Mr. Blank was in it, or not. :hide:

Devi

The Dr book you mentioned sounds really good. Someone else in here mentioned one sorta like that called Confessions of a GP or something . I wonder if they were both the same with different titles ?

I haven't read any Austere but I love the cover of that book ! Very pretty .

Edited by julie

They are indeed different authors. The confessions of a gp and further confessions of a gp are written by Benjamin Daniels.

I didn't the first time either.  But about 5 years later....... :blush2:  :giggle2:  Plus, I think NYTrilogy is different to many of his other books. 

It's been long enough now that I don't remember if Mr. Blank was in it, or not. :hide:

So, I should give him another go then ? :smile:

BTW, has anyone read anything from Siri Hustvedt ? I like the look of this one.

So, I should give him another go then ? :smile:

BTW, has anyone read anything from Siri Hustvedt ? I like the look of this one.

No but I am curious now...

Edited by Devi

Sci-Fi/Fantasy readers, anyone seen this book? I don't recognise half the authors. Any of them worth the look?

http://www.amazon.com.au/Years-Science-Fiction-Fantasy-Edition-ebook/dp/B00KRGW89I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1407146569&sr=1-1

Edited by Devi