Trying to find a good book

I was hoping someone here could make some recommendations for a good book to read, but I'm afraid I'm probably very picky.

I'm 21 and haven't read many books my whole life and thought I should start. Here are some things I'm looking for:

-Protagonist is either in college or an adult, most likely not interested in stories about a teenager or child, but more importantly I'd like to see a lot of character development for the main character. I particularly like stories about anti-heroes, or bad-guys turned good, anything that isn't your stereotypical hero that starts and ends the exact same throughout the story.

-Genre is science fiction, fantasy, or supernatural. As long as it is a mature plot I don't care, romance is good as long as there is more to the story than that.

-While I haven't read much, I do have good reading comprehension so anything at or below college reading level would be fine.

Any suggestions? :)

I want to recommend the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series (George R. R. Martin), but it's awfully long. I haven't read all of the books myself yet, but there's definitely a lot of character development, and I predict a couple of characters will be 'bad-guys turned good'.

You might enjoy the 'Enders Game' series (Orson Scott Card).

"In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training." (Source: Goodreads)
It does start off with Ender as a child, but it's pretty difficult to remember that he isn't an adult anyway, and we get to see him grow up :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Aimfor,

I've been reading for a good few years ..

I've just read, 'A Country Doctor's Notebook, by Mikhail Bulgakov,' on my travels. Wow. Gutsy fella'. It's heck of a story for anyone who likes fact-based stuff.

I have in my hot and sticky 'lickle' hand, 'Hustling on Gorky Street by Yuri Brokin.' A pressie from the wife. I'll let you know.

My very best to all for the coming year.

Ben.

• 3 months later...

I would suggest some of Mercedes Lackey's books. (they are good with most of them are easy reads with good plots)

The Death Gate cycle books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (the good guys are defiantly not your average good guys)

Hope that these help :)

Just thought of another book you might like, it is The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings. The main guy is s thief turned good guy so...

Hello, nice to meet you. I would recommend"Happy Birthday"(Aoki Kazuo), which is one of Japanese books.

The story is that a little girl,who was neglected by her own mother , develop through grand mother& grand father`s kindness and the great power of nature.

Finally, she teach her mother forgettable kindness and important feeling for family.