Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

Hi Kidsmum, Bree. The Stephanie Plum books are not really YA. I would say 16 and over to be on the safe side. Just a little racy in places is all. But then again I have heard some of the vampire books are a bit rude. If your daughter is already reading Charlene Harris then there is nothing worse than that in Stephanie Plum.

Hey how about the Amelia Peabody series? They are funny and have a clever female heroine.

Ooshie The Circuit was interesting I read it in one day. I would send it to you but it was not mine and I have to return it to the lender.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

The Book Thief Markus Zusak

One Day David Nichols

Girl Meets Boy Ali Smith

Rivers Of London Ben Aaronovitch

Flowers For Algernon Daniel Keyes

Rebecca Daphne Du Maurier

Thursday Next First Among Sequels,

Something Rotten,

The Well Of Lost Plots,

Lost In A Good Book,

The Eyre Affair Jasper Fforde

Brilliant books on your TBR, those above especially (haha .. we all think our own favourites are the best) .. you must read them soon .. this week if possible ;) Ooh I've just seen that you've started The Book Thief .. you will be loving it I'm sure. Your review needs to include an exact account of how much you did or didn't cry .. not that I'm giving anything away .. but get tissues in if you haven't already :D

Happy Reading in 2013 James :) If this is the year you start reading Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde then it's bound to be a good one, hope so anyway :friends0:

Hi Kidsmum, Bree. The Stephanie Plum books are not really YA. I would say 16 and over to be on the safe side. Just a little racy in places is all. But then again I have heard some of the vampire books are a bit rude. If your daughter is already reading Charlene Harris then there is nothing worse than that in Stephanie Plum.

Hey how about the Amelia Peabody series? They are funny and have a clever female heroine.

She's already read a couple of the TrueBlood books so i might get her some Stephanie Plum books that way i get to read them as well & i'll check out the Amelia Peabody series. Thanks VF :smile:

I'm another one who rates The Book Thief. biggrin.png It's such a sweet, wonderful story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I (and many others) did.

It's looking good so far. 50 pages in but World's Strongest Man is on now so had to stop to watch that....I didn't enter this year thought I would let someone else have a go :giggle2:

Ooshie The Circuit was interesting I read it in one day. I would send it to you but it was not mine and I have to return it to the lender.

That's ok - thanks for even thinking of that vodkafan :)

I do enjoy non fiction military books, so I think I might add The Circuit - Bob Shepherd to my buying list.

Giving over all of today to reading and thinking about books. My target (which I will probably exceed easily)

Finish The Book Thief (100 pages read already this morning, 57 yesterday)

50 pages of God Collar

50 pages of something else

Edited by vodkafan

Giving over all of today to reading and thinking about books. My target (which I will probably exceed easily)

Finish The Book Thief (100 pages read already this morning, 57 yesterday)

'The Book Thief' is a novel that I have heard some good things about, but never got around to reading myself. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

OK I had to abandon God Collar by Marcus Brigstock after 120 pages. He made one or two thought provoking points at the beginning but now it has just degenerated into a very left wing political rant most of the time. He seems saturated with his own smugness so I will leave him in it and read something more interesting.

The Book Thief

Markus Zusak 6/6

The Book Thief certainly did take me through some emotions and exercised the old tear glands a little bit. It is a wonderful story. But the reason that I gave it 6/6 was because it reminded me of a truth that sometimes I forget.

YOU MUST GIVE EACH CHILD JUST WHAT THEY NEED .

No more, no less.

Sometimes, as a parent, I am guilty of making do with giving a child what I think he or she should have. But you have to try a bit harder, like Hans Huberman. And I am not talking about food and toys or material things, although of course there can be love in giving those things. It is about knowing each child is different and needs different things from an adult to grow....that is what I will take away from The Book Thief.

Thank you, Marcus Zusak !

The Book Thief

Markus Zusak 6/6

The Book Thief certainly did take me through some emotions and exercised the old tear glands a little bit. It is a wonderful story. But the reason that I gave it 6/6 was because it reminded me of a truth that sometimes I forget.

No more, no less.

Sometimes, as a parent, I am guilty of making do with giving a child what I think he or she should have. But you have to try a bit harder, like Hans Huberman. And I am not talking about food and toys or material things, although of course there can be love in giving those things. It is about knowing each child is different and needs different things from an adult to grow....that is what I will take away from The Book Thief.

And thank you vodkafan.

You've expressed that so well.

I haven't read The Book Thief - and your review is definitely making me want to read it soon.

The Book Thief

Markus Zusak 6/6

No more, no less.

A great summary of this book. I must go out and get this book.