Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James

Your reading totals are great this year ,along with writing on top of it . Great work !

I noticed you bought a book by Matthew Kneale. I read "English Passengers" a few years back and loved it, but I'm a sucker for a Seafaring Tale ..... Really interesting story ! Too bad I don't remember more about it ,

I loved English Passengers too! 

Another thumbs up for English Passengers from me  :D

I have now lent the book out and the person I gave it to has told me it is falling apart as he reads. So I will probably get another 1p copy at some point as a keeper.

Nothing worse than trying to read a book that's falling apart it drives you mad :banghead: If you can find a copy for 1p then i'd definitely snap it up, that's a bargain too good to miss  :smile:

I was thinking about you last weekend i went for lunch with a friend in Headingley which is a real studenty area of Leeds so lots of charity shops so we had a bit of trawl round & in one of them i spotted a Jack Vance book in among all the crime novels. I can't remember what it was called now but i think Crystal might of been in the title  :smile:

Janet  & KM

Do either of you know of other books like English Passengers ? I have some nonfiction seafaring tales on my Kindle, and another  The Rathbones  (fiction ), which I think is also on  a ship . I like those types of books . Lots of fun .

James

Your reading totals are great this year ,along with writing on top of it . Great work !

I noticed you bought a book by Matthew Kneale. I read "English Passengers" a few years back and loved it, but I'm a sucker for a Seafaring Tale ..... Really interesting story ! Too bad I don't remember more about it ,

Hi Julie, try this one! I read it last year:

Star Of The Sea - Joseph O' Connor. It is set on a passanger ship going to America.

I was thinking about you last weekend i went for lunch with a friend in Headingley which is a real studenty area of Leeds so lots of charity shops so we had a bit of trawl round & in one of them i spotted a Jack Vance book in among all the crime novels. I can't remember what it was called now but i think Crystal might of been in the title  :smile:

Can't think which one that might be off-hand......interesting!!

Janet  & KM

Do either of you know of other books like English Passengers ? I have some nonfiction seafaring tales on my Kindle, and another  The Rathbones  (fiction ), which I think is also on  a ship . I like those types of books . Lots of fun .

Hi Julie, try this one! I read it last year:

Star Of The Sea - Joseph O' Connor. It is set on a passanger ship going to America.

I second VF's recommendation of Star Of The Sea, Julie, it's a really good book i'm sure you'd enjoy it. I have a few books on my TBR pile that have a seafaring theme, so although i can't recommend them as i haven't read them myself yet you might want to check them out & see what you think. The first was a recommendation from Frankie, Mutiny On The Bounty  John Boyne, it's the story of the mutiny told through the eyes of a young cabin boy & This Thing Of Darkness   Harry Thompson , it's the story of Charles Darwin's voyage on the HMS Beagle, i enjoy books that mix fiction with historical fact & this sounds like a good adventure story  :smile:

Can't think which one that might be off-hand......interesting!!

Well i could be wrong remembering the crystal bi,t i had already had a glass of mulled cider by this point but it was definitely a Jack Vance book  :giggle2:

Janet  & KM

I don't think I've read anything else like English Passengers, Julie.  I will check out The Rathbones - thanks. :)

(wasn't Lord of the Rings originally one volume, but it's now traditionally three volumes to make it easier to read?)

I believe it was originally published in the three volumes, during 1954 and 1955 :smile:

Some more info if anyone is interested....as I used a rating system for the first time this year I might as well  use that information.

I seemed to be quite happy with my choice of books overall.

Out of 98 books I gave:

2   at  1*

16 at  2*

18 at  3*

27 at  4*

25 at  5*

10 at  6*

The ten six star books are:

The Book Thief

Girl Meets Boy

Girl, Interrupted

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

London In The Nineteenth Century

Jonathon Strange And Mr Norrell

Small Island

Flowers For Algernon

The Star King

Nineteen Seventy Nine

If I were to readjust the marks in hindsight I would knock The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry  back down to a 4 or 5

• 10 months later...

Just bought 6 books all second hand from Amazon;

King Solomon's Carpet Barbara Vine

A Far Cry From Kensington Muriel Spark

Capital John Lanchester

Capital Maureen Duffy

Tom's All Alone Lynne Shepherd

Sweet Thames Matthew Kneale

total £16.86 with postage, all books 1p each

You read capital by John Lanchester yet vf? Just finished it, I liked it. Edited by itsmeagain