Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

Don't ever stop, because you have amazing taste!! :o Oooooh I really hope you like A Tale of Two Cities, it's one of my top 5 reads. Maybe top 10. But anyways, it's oh so good. And the Hitchhiker is good, too and the 100yo Man.

You could totally be my personal book shopper :D

Thank you! But don't encourage me :P I'm setting myself with a limit of £10/month.

A Tale of Two Cities has been on my TBR for ages, it's probably going to be one of the next reads. I did read the first book in the Hitchhiker series and loved it...when I saw it as a Kindle Deal I just had to buy it.

This title jumped out at me, I think because of the simple title, so I looked the author off. The book sounds interesting, and another book written by the same author, The End Of Alice sounds quite controversial! I'll have to look both books up properly.

I have another book by the same author, and I keep seeing the name everywhere lately! I did think Jack sounded very interesting. The End of Alice sounds very controversial indeed! I think I must get that one too.

---

Finished the first Harry Potter earlier...such a joy to re-read it. I'm not entirely sure yet what I'm starting, so many choices.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering doing this this year as well. I have a lot of books I'm just never going to read, and there's no point in hanging onto them.

I've tried doing that (there are a few posts about it in my reading log on here) but when it comes to it I just find it too hard to part with them. Maybe it should be my New Year's resolution? :)

I know, it makes such good sense to get rid of them, but it's just sooo hard - particularly when quite often I get rid of a book that I had strongly negative feelings about and then have to buy it again later (yes, Ben in the World and Tenderness of Wolves, I mean you among others!).

So. Eight cartons of books went out to Good Will. Gave me a whole bookcase 'pon which to shelve books that'd been sitting in a pile in the study. :angel_not:

Respect, pontalba! So far I have managed one carton, but since all the books have come from different shelves I can't see any gaps! I can see this is going to have to lead to a proper reorganisation...

Oh dear, sounds like a difficult task :empathy:

Hahah :D Laughed out loud when I read that :giggle2:

It is, it is! I can see I will need to do some bookbuying therapy to cheer myself up afterwards! And as for those two ladies, well, they do totally deserve it :P

Thank you! But don't encourage me :P I'm setting myself with a limit of £10/month.

Oh but think how many great titles you can find in secondhand bookstores with £10! :D Maybe even 50-100 titles, if you're lucky :giggle2:

A Tale of Two Cities has been on my TBR for ages, it's probably going to be one of the next reads.

I have to say (as in maybe warn you), the beginning of the book is really slow. It takes maybe 70 pages for the story to really begin. I really struggled with it :blush: But it really pays off in the end!

It is, it is! I can see I will need to do some bookbuying therapy to cheer myself up afterwards! And as for those two ladies, well, they do totally deserve it :P

:D Doesn't the bookbuying therapy defeat the purpose :lol: Oh Ooshie! :friends3:

I can't stop!!!

I know the feeling. :yes: Great haul, though!

Bloody hell! Which books did you get, which books did you get?! :o

Go and check my thread, woman! :P

So. Eight cartons of books went out to Good Will. Gave me a whole bookcase 'pon which to shelve books that'd been sitting in a pile in the study. :angel_not:

Wow, Pontalba! Congratulations on doing such a difficult thing. It must have been so hard :friends0: (I feel like I'm in a support group...)

:D Doesn't the bookbuying therapy defeat the purpose :lol: Oh Ooshie! :friends3:

I knew I was doing something wrong! :giggle2:

More packing up - Tess Gerritson, gone; Harlan Cobin, gone; Jonathan Kellerman, gone; Mary Higgins Clark, gone; James Patterson, gone!

Reading wise, I am about a third of the way through The Tenderness of Wolves. I have been reading it for a couple of weeks now but keep having to disctract myself with other books at the same time so it's not going very fast.

Respect, pontalba! So far I have managed one carton, but since all the books have come from different shelves I can't see any gaps! I can see this is going to have to lead to a proper reorganisation...

I know the feeling. :yes: Great haul, though!

Wow, Pontalba! Congratulations on doing such a difficult thing. It must have been so hard :friends0: (I feel like I'm in a support group...)

:thankyousigna2: LOL /bowing/ Many, many thanks. However, I must admit it wasn't that terrible. They were mostly cook book. And since I have no idea why I collected so many over the years as I am not /clearing throat/ much in the kitchen, in truth, it didn't hurt. The shelves are not empty, all filled up. Not only with books that were stacked hither and yon, but some newer additions. :blush:

There were a set of M. C. Beaton's School For Manners series in the Kindle sale, so I've been working my way through those over the last couple of days when I've had time. They're very easy reads, ridiculous Regency comedies with a bit of romance thrown in, but I just think they're funny. There were six in the series, and I've read three so far, finishing one last night.

:thankyousigna2: LOL /bowing/ Many, many thanks. However, I must admit it wasn't that terrible. They were mostly cook book. And since I have no idea why I collected so many over the years as I am not /clearing throat/ much in the kitchen, in truth, it didn't hurt. The shelves are not empty, all filled up. Not only with books that were stacked hither and yon, but some newer additions. :blush:

I collect them too...and yet I always cook the same things over and over again. My plan in the last few months has been to try one new recipe every month, but that still doesn't explain why I have so many books and magazines!

Just finished 'Last Christmas' by Julia Williams and managed to sneek in another to my book total for the year (not that it is very high compared to others)

Just starting 'My Dear, I wanted to tell you' by Louisa Young', this is a bookring from a Bookcrosser, so need to get it started and passed on.

Finished Hollowland. Now I'm going to start on either PopCo by Scarlett Thomas or Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets, by David Simon.

Hope you'll like Pop.Co, I loved it because it made me think.

I'm reading The Stolen Child.. not too sure if I like it, though!

I'm reading Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. It's a very heavy depressing read and I'm only 5% into it. I think I'm going to have to intersperse it with some lighter material.

I have a copy of that and every time I have picked it up I've stuck it back because it looked heavy going.

I'm just over half way through The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, absolutely loving it.

I collect them too...and yet I always cook the same things over and over again. My plan in the last few months has been to try one new recipe every month, but that still doesn't explain why I have so many books and magazines!

In my case, at least, I'm quite sure it's wishful thinking! :P

I'm reading Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. It's a very heavy depressing read and I'm only 5% into it. I think I'm going to have to intersperse it with some lighter material.

Ohh, I have that on the shelf, as of yet. We bought it mainly because we'd just finished watching the TV series The Wire. Same writer, based on.

And yes, most intense.

Hope you'll like Pop.Co, I loved it because it made me think.

I ended up going with Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, but once I get through that I will start on PopCo. It sounds very intriguing, with the code-breaking and all.

I have a copy of that and every time I have picked it up I've stuck it back because it looked heavy going.

I think I'm over the difficult bit in the beginning, and I'm now onto the more interesting parts - ie. when they are investigating individual murders in great detail. The first 50 pages are hard going; after that it gets "good" (feel a bit morbid writing that, considering the subject matter :hide: ) . It's a little bit dated I think. For example, at the time of writing, Baltimore only had one female detective (out of 36 detectives and sergeants).

Just finishing World War Z.

Was this any good? I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit; hopefully it will when the movie comes out.

Ohh, I have that on the shelf, as of yet. We bought it mainly because we'd just finished watching the TV series The Wire. Same writer, based on. And yes, most intense.

Yeah, it is good, isn't it? It's very disturbing when you think that those crimes actually did happen. A bit depressing really, but I think it's a must read for anyone interested in true crime.

Finally picked up The Book Thief - 100 pages in and loving it.

Glad you're enjoying it, one of my favourite books too.

I'm still ploughing away with The Alchemyst. I'm being cheeky and planning to not-quite-finish it today, and I've my Paul O'Grady book half read, so that'll be two books finished hopefully within the first few days of 2013! :D

My dad also lent me what looks like a very good read yesterday, it's gone on the TBR - it's called A Day Called Hope and it's by an Irish radio presenter named Gareth O'Callaghan, about his struggle with depression. Should be a very good read.