Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

I'm reading three books at once because i just cant seem to settle into one!

I wish I could read more than one book at once! Maybe I would get through my piles quicker :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that annoyed me about all of the Fleming books was the film people only bought the title. They mostly avoided using anything much from the books! grrr. That said, I am a fan of both book and film. :D

Finished the Francis book last night, will begin The Particle at the End of the Universe by Sean Carroll later today. The sub heading is "How the hunt for the Higgs Boson leads us to the edge of a new world".

Haven't done any reading for a few days, but I did buy some books on the Kindle 12 Days of Christmas sale today. They will be adding at least 50 books each day, so I'll be checking them every day and may end up buying some more yet!

I was about to write the exact same thing! I'm making slow progress with the Color Purple - Christmas and the fact it doesn't have the wow factor for me yet, but I spend 8 hours in airports and on planes tomorrow trying to get home so I may plough through some then.

I have only bought 4 on the Kindle 12 Days so far...but this is only day 2!

Read more of Emma last night - I'm enjoying the diverse range of characters in this book...

(I have around a 100 pages left, and no sign of the books I ordered yet.

Looks like I'll start the new year with....no books! :o )

Finished The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Really good read. Must see the film now.

Still reading the first Paul O'Grady biography, not sure what else I'll read next. It'll either be the first Merlin book by T. A. Barron, or a re-read of The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney in preparation for reading the rest of the series.

Finished The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. Really good read. Must see the film now.

I really want to see the movie too, but I left it too late and it's not playing at my local theatre anymore! :( I'll have to catch it when it comes out on DVD.

I went book shopping today to spend the voucher I received for Christmas. I went into Sydney, where's there's a much bigger selection of books, and managed to snag 12 books averaging less than $10 each, even though they didn't have much on in the way of sales. Score! I'll post the books on my thread later.

I finished The Color Purple.

It really picked up in the second half, and was good, but it wasn't as great as numerous reviews and list inclusions led me to believe :( maybe I had too high expectations!

Not sure what to read next - I suspect it will become my first book completed in 2013.

I really want to see the movie too, but I left it too late and it's not playing at my local theatre anymore! :( I'll have to catch it when it comes out on DVD.

Same, but I didn't want to see the film before reading the book so I don't mind waiting! And I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing a film adaptation of the novel, because I didn't really feel a solid voice in the book at all - half the time I later realised I was totally missing things I was supposed to be picking up on (I think I'm far too like Charlie - his actions all made perfect sense to me, and when Sam in particular was telling him why he shouldn't have done those things I was thinking, 'oh. Whoops. Sorry', so I'm interested to see how Charlie translates to the screen.

ANYWAY. I decided to start on The Alchemyst, the first book in the Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. Only three chapters in but so far loving it! Think this may well be a series I stick with.

The last couple of days have been amazing...but I really have to stop looking at all the kindle deals. Since Tuesday I've so far bought and got for free:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five - Douglas Adams

Jack - A.M. Homes

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

The Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson

Introducing Positive Psychology: A Practical Guide

I can't stop!!!

I am engaged in some very traumatic book activity - packing up some paperbacks to go to the charity shop. Given that I only get rid of about one book every few years if I truly hated it, this is very, very hard for me! Do I get rid of books my mum has read and given me that I wouldn't usually buy or read? My head says yes, but my heart says no...

But a definite goodbye to the later Kathy Reichs and Patrician Cornwell works. Sorry, ladies, but you have been rubbish for far too long now! :)

Two thirds of the way through Slaughterhouse 5, pretty good but not blown away yet..

Oh :( Well at least you are getting it, by the look of things, and like it enough to carry on. I always thought that with this book there is no middle ground, so I think you're lucky you're liking it and not loathing it! :)

I went book shopping today to spend the voucher I received for Christmas. I went into Sydney, where's there's a much bigger selection of books, and managed to snag 12 books averaging less than $10 each, even though they didn't have much on in the way of sales. Score! I'll post the books on my thread later.

Bloody hell! Which books did you get, which books did you get?! :o

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Trilogy of Five - Douglas Adams

Jack - A.M. Homes

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

The Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson

Introducing Positive Psychology: A Practical Guide

I can't stop!!!

Don't ever stop, because you have amazing taste!! :o Oooooh I really hope you like A Tale of Two Cities, it's one of my top 5 reads. Maybe top 10. But anyways, it's oh so good. And the Hitchhiker is good, too and the 100yo Man.

You could totally be my personal book shopper :D

I am engaged in some very traumatic book activity - packing up some paperbacks to go to the charity shop. Given that I only get rid of about one book every few years if I truly hated it, this is very, very hard for me! Do I get rid of books my mum has read and given me that I wouldn't usually buy or read? My head says yes, but my heart says no...

Oh dear, sounds like a difficult task :empathy:

But a definite goodbye to the later Kathy Reichs and Patrician Cornwell works. Sorry, ladies, but you have been rubbish for far too long now! :)

Hahah :D Laughed out loud when I read that :giggle2:

Jack - A.M. Homes

This title jumped out at me, I think because of the simple title, so I looked the author off. The book sounds interesting, and another book written by the same author, The End Of Alice sounds quite controversial! I'll have to look both books up properly.

I am engaged in some very traumatic book activity - packing up some paperbacks to go to the charity shop.

I'm considering doing this this year as well. I have a lot of books I'm just never going to read, and there's no point in hanging onto them.

I'm considering doing this this year as well. I have a lot of books I'm just never going to read, and there's no point in hanging onto them.

Ahh, ladies! I've done quite the brave thing. :D

A couple of weeks ago I decided that since I had not looked at all but one of the bookcase full of cookbooks, (all lovely hardbacks) I'd ditch the lot. Did it. All but The Joy of Cooking.

Also a bunch of herbal remedy books I'd had for years and years. I don't use them anymore, or the bits I do I already know about.

So. Eight cartons of books went out to Good Will. Gave me a whole bookcase 'pon which to shelve books that'd been sitting in a pile in the study. :angel_not:

Edited by pontalba