Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

A nice variety there BIGhay. :smile:

The Hobbit is a good little story and quite a quick read so worth a look, and 1984 is a well written and thought provoking book - a real must. I always enjoy an Anne Rice as she is great at describing scenes and characters, you get under their skin in no time, and Jasper Fforde - oh how I love Thursday Next! :D

I can defiitely recommend Mr Fforde's other books, including his YA stuff. I would perhaps throw in another Dougas Adams (either from the series or his other books), and if you haven;t tried Terry Pratchett, I would definitely give one or two of his.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After very little reading in November, due to being away for much of it, I started reading The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp, by Eva Rice this weekend. It's not actually out until January officially, but I managed to get a preview copy (with a handwritten note by Eva Rice - nice :) ). I really really liked her last novel, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, and this one is shaping up to be just as good :D

I just finished I am Legend and I loved every bit of it! I don't know why they never stuck with the original story for the movie, I was hooked from page one.

I'm now reading the mini stories at the end of the book.

It's going to be hard to top this book.

Edited by Devi

I just finished I am Legend and I loved every bit of it! I don't know why they never stuck with the original story for the movie, I was hooked from page one.

I'm now reading the mini stories at the end of the book.

It's going to be hard to top this book.

Mini stories? There are mini-stories? :o

Which edition did you get, Devi? :smile:

Relieved to be reading the last couple of books of my Genre Challenge. Somehow have got myself into the position of reading 4 books at once though;

Fionovar book 1

The Vanishing Act

Berlin the downfall 1945

Android Karenina

I finished Tempest's Fury by Nicole Peeler today, which was ok, but a few books into the series now, and I'm not enjoying them as much the first couple of books, but basically a whimsical urban fantasy, and fine for a light read.

One of the my book groups choices this month is Emma by Jane Austen, which fits in nicely with my year long re-read of the Austen books, so I made a start on this one today.

I finished The Brave last night; very enjoyable read. I'm now onto The Courage Consort by Michel Faber. It's a very short book, but will probably take me quite a while to read as I have so much other stuff on. :mellow:

Mini stories? There are mini-stories? :o

Which edition did you get, Devi? :smile:

I got this edition - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/I-am-Legend-Richard-Matheson/9780765357151?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20

I thought it was the whole book, but at about the third way it ended with

Neville taking pills to kill himself after being captured.

I thought that perhaps the short stories were related to the main, but they aren't at all.

They are called:

Buried Talents

The Near Departed

Prey

Witch War

Dance of the Dead

Dress of White Silk

Mad House

The Funeral

From Shadowed Places

Person to Person

Some of them are really good and worth a read if you can find them! Prey, Dance of the Dead and Mad House are my favourites so far. I have the last three to read yet.

Edited by Devi

I finished The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton which i enjoyed very much & am now reading The Weeping Women Hotel by Alexei Sayle which is a bit strange just like it's author not sure if i'm going to like it yet :smile:

I finished I Am Legend + short stories last night, brilliant read!

I'm thinking I might read Catch 22 next.

Over the last two months I've managed to complete-

a re-read of the Harry Potter series

Black Sheep - Georgette Hayer

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith

all of which I enjoyed immensely

and now with Sense and Sensibility which is slowly growing on me.

I'm reading Existence by David Brin. I borrowed it from a friend and I first did not like it much, but after 100 or so pages I do not feel like putting it down anymore. It has some interesting ideas even if the plot moves a bit slow. Maybe that is because I read the first 7 Dresden Files books last month and those go fast and are explosive :D (and funny, very funny)

The schools library had dumped a lot of books with broken covers in a container today that I, by coincidence, came across. Ofcourse I could not resist and went head first into the skip, looking for anything interesting to read. I've not got no country for old man and 10 other books on everything from IT security to environmental science and several other novels in my backpack. Now I have to carry them all home on foot. (cant bike in the deep snow) I'm an idiot for not thinking about that before I took so many books.

I've just finished it. It's fiction, translated from Italian, and it's about a young Sicilian you can speak fluent Arabic and is recruited by the Italian secret service to help infiltrate a terrorist cell in an immigrant community in Rome. His narrative is alternated with that of a young Muslim wife who has moved from Egypt with her husband who is trying to better himself in the European economy. She has secretly harboured the wish to become a hairdresser but after marriage her husband has asked her to take the veil. I really enjoyed it, although I have my reservations about the ending.

Seems like it was nothing I expected it to be. I thought it might be interesting non-fiction. I also personally struggle with anything spy-related so this is not for me, but thanks for the info! :)

I am going to have another go at reading The Casual Vacancy, hopefully I am in a better frame of mind to enjoy it this time.

How are you doing with this?

I finished The Talented Mr Ripley - definitely much enjoyed! May look for the sequel :)

I also read this a year ago or so, and it was a lot better than I expected, it was rather surprising! I also thought about possibly reading the sequel. I'll keep an eye out should you find a copy of the next installment and read it and review it on here :)

Oh yippee yo yippee yay! I couldn't be happier with your reading either

Oh I really enjoyed the Virginia Woolf book, it was perhaps worth more than the 4/5 I gave it, but I've been too generous with my ratings this year and I've felt I need to be a bit more strict (edit: also I wasn't 100% in agreement with what Nicolson said about the abuse Woolf was subject to by her step brothers). I also thought that it was only a scratch at the surface, but in a way that was probably only good: I now have a terrible need to go for the Quentin Bell book and then the Hermione Lee one :blush: Those will be more extensive, and I think I did well in beginning with the short Nicolson book so I can gradually move onto the more demanding titles. I also realised, while reading the book, that I'm determined to read Woolf's books in the correct order: the order in which they were published. I know you were sorry that you'd begun reading them in no particular order and I remember saying you shouldn't worry, but now I've grasped how annoying a comment that can have been from me :blush:

A Christmas tree out of books is too hard, I tried once before but failed. I didn't have the right type of books (or the right type of patience) .. it looks so achievable when you see the pics.

I agree, I think they should add captions to the pics saying it was really, really hard, and that 'don't try this at home!' :giggle2:

I am currently reading The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and loving it. I'm glad actually because my niece has asked for it for Christmas and it's nice to know that it's good .. though I knew it was cos frankie said

Aww thanks for the kinds words, poppyshake! :friends0: It is jolly good, isn't it? There are some pretty hilarious characters! I struggled with the storyline of the main character's history at times, because it was in sections in between the 'actual' story, but otherwise it was a really enjoyable novel.

One of the my book groups choices this month is Emma by Jane Austen, which fits in nicely with my year long re-read of the Austen books, so I made a start on this one today.

Don't you just love Emma's father? :D So high maintenance, but such a darling, really.

I'm still reading The Lions of Al-Rassan, I think the story has reached a sort of a plateau for a while and I'm struggling a bit, and am really eagerly waiting for the action to start again.

Almost forgot: I got Replay by Ken Grimwood from Karsa Orlong in the mail this week, thank you! :smile2:

Hi, I'm reading The Passage and am loving it, ignoring all the reviews about The Twelve will will be my next read. My infatuation with Hames Herbert books has been reignited after reading Ash, so hope to go back and read Shine.

I have read Catch 22 and remember reading that and My Secret History by Donna Tartt the same year. Both outstanding. I've made it to 120 books this year, not my most fruitful but have enjoyed the majority immensely. It appears I'm not hard to please!

Returned some library books and came back with:

One Day - David Nicholls

I Can See You - Karen Rose

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney

I wasn't planning on borrowing anything, but given that I had to put a minimum of £1 parking on the car for 40 minutes, I thought I should get my money's worth!!

Returned some library books and came back with:

One Day - David Nicholls

I Can See You - Karen Rose

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney

I wasn't planning on borrowing anything, but given that I had to put a minimum of £1 parking on the car for 40 minutes, I thought I should get my money's worth!!

One Day was a strange one for me, I only read it as it was recommended by a male friend, got through it easily enough but not too impressed as I read it, finished it then realised how good it was!! Hope you like it too BB. :) As you have probably seen on Januarys Reading Circle choices, A Tenderness of Wolves is a particular favourite of mine, I hope you love it as well. :)

Edited by chaliepud