Fifty Shades of Grey, E.L. James

As if a sense of entitlement (god complex) was a male thing.

I'm all for having self-respect - as an individual, any individual. And gender is just one minor thing among many that make an individual.

What's the big deal with being female? You're either one gender or the other. Isn't pride in one's incidental gender aiming a little low? It was just a toss of the dice before birth after all. Shouldn't pride be reserved for things we have achieved and that actually matter?

As nothing is 100%, of course not. 

Not pride, but a sense of self worth, valuing what we are, what our contributions are and that we matter.  Too often, and still, women are not a valued member of society.  Even in the West we still do not receive equal pay for equal work, or receive equal credit benefits.  If women do not project that sense of self worth, and a "I matter" attitude no one will take her seriously. 

Edit: And I also think it's more about one's pleasure in one's gender than actual pride in it. 

Absolutely. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As nothing is 100%, of course not. 

Not pride, but a sense of self worth, valuing what we are, what our contributions are and that we matter.  Too often, and still, women are not a valued member of society.  Even in the West we still do not receive equal pay for equal work, or receive equal credit benefits.  If women do not project that sense of self worth, and a "I matter" attitude no one will take her seriously. 

Again, (self-)worth and contributions are surely down to every individual, aren't they? Without referring to you, women demanding consideration because they're women is irrational and causing a lot of trouble. You often have incompetent females being propped up in important positions just to satisfy political correctness.

The unpleasant truth is that a lot of women constantly take time off over family matters. This needn't be trivial, but they do contribute less if seen as a group. So if such a woman's husband has to pick up the slack, why shouldn't he earn more? If anything women are making it unfair on other women who don't take advantage of a man or the system.

And what about all those divorces where a man ends up destitute because he has to support her lifestyle? If things are skewed, it's often in women's favour.

^  I fail to see how that relates to the book, though, and the idea of 'inner goddess'. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if those issues are dealt with in the book, but somehow I think the book's not that political, if that's the word... 

Again, (self-)worth and contributions are surely down to every individual, aren't they? Without referring to you, women demanding consideration because they're women is irrational and causing a lot of trouble. You often have incompetent females being propped up in important positions just to satisfy political correctness.

The unpleasant truth is that a lot of women constantly take time off over family matters. This needn't be trivial, but they do contribute less if seen as a group. So if such a woman's husband has to pick up the slack, why shouldn't he earn more? If anything women are making it unfair on other women who don't take advantage of a man or the system.

And what about all those divorces where a man ends up destitute because he has to support her lifestyle? If things are skewed, it's often in women's favour.

Surely you have heard of differences of opinion, now you have seen that concept in action. 

^  I fail to see how that relates to the book, though, and the idea of 'inner goddess'. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if those issues are dealt with in the book, but somehow I think the book's not that political, if that's the word... 

Ana's 'Inner Goddess' is all about sexual frisson - there is nothing political about the book! :lol:

Hah, very true. :)

Late to the party, it has been a long time since I've been in a discussion of "50 Shades."

Most of what I might have to say has probably already been said here, and elsewhere, so I'll restrict my comments to some not often heard.

1. I bought the book to read it, and read the other two as well.  No apologies offered -- my own free will. 

2. I have never seen a book where so many people who haven't read it have so many negative opinions about it.  Herd mentality in action.

3. The book does have a plot. There is character development; There is a plot structure (introduction, rising action, climax, falling action, denoument).

4. It has a happy ending for those who like happy endings.

5. I have never heard so many people who are suddenly literary critics and judging the book to have poor writing. (When no comments are made about the quality of writing in all the other books people read.  I assume they must all have excellent writing).

6. Many other erotic books have been mentioned as superior, without titles being given.  Titles, please!  (Bared to You is not. It is inferior).

7. The book deserves its popularity, and she her money.

8.  Whether it causes other people to read, I care not.

"Surely you have heard of differences of opinion, now you have seen that concept in action. "

Not sure what you're referring to ...

"Hah, very true. :)"

Surely if women describe themselves as disadvantaged, drawing on other things than the content of the book, it's fair to point out they're not. "Political correctness" is not actually about politics but an unfortunately popular mindset.

But never mind me, it is the women's section of the forum after all ...

Edited by SiameseCat

I haven't read it but I read a 15-page review/breakdown by an Irish blogger who provided detailed plot and many quotes to back up her horror and anger at the content of it, in a very hilarious manner. Close enough for me.

The wonderful Pam Ayres take on it :rolol:

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY BY PAM AYRES

The missus bought a Paperback,...
down Shepton Mallet way,
I had a look inside her bag;...
T'was "Fifty Shades of Grey".

Well I just left her to it,
And at ten I went to bed.
An hour later she appeared;
The sight filled me with dread.

In her left hand she held a rope;
And in her right a whip!
She threw them down upon the floor,
And then began to strip.

Well fifty years or so ago;
I might have had a peek;
But Mabel hasn't weathered well;
She's eighty four next week!!

Watching Mabel bump and grind;
Could not have been much grimmer.
And things then went from bad to worse;
She toppled off her Zimmer!

She struggled back upon her feet;
A couple minutes later;
She put her teeth back in and said
"I am a dominator!!"

Now if you knew our Mabel,
You'd see just why I spluttered,
I'd spent two months in traction
For the last complaint I'd uttered.

She stood there nude and naked
Bent forward just a bit
I went to hold her, sensual like
and stood on her left tit!

Mabel screamed, her teeth shot out;
My God what had I done!
She moaned and groaned then shouted out:
"Step on the other one!!"

Well readers, I can tell no more;
Of what occurred that day.
Suffice to say my jet black hair,
Turned fifty shades of grey!!

Bahaha. That's great, Poppy. :) Pam Ayres came to my town once and Mum was a fan so we went along. I hadn't heard of her before then, but she is certainly quite funny. :)

She's a very funny poet, I think her Berkshire accent (I just looked that up :D ) make her poems even funnier and her delivery and timing are spot-on.