Fifty Shades of Grey, E.L. James

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

With the Fifty Shades and Twilight books...I shake my head at what is published nowadays. But then I'm sure some would have the same opinion about some of the books I read. To each their own, I guess...

You'd think getting published was ridiculously easy, wouldn't you?

Oh no - definitely not !

I haven't read the books myself, although I must admit that I have had a sneaky look inside them, but I got my next door neighbours a parody of them for Christmas - The Fifty Sheds of Grey trilogy (the husband, who was ring bearer at our wedding, actually is a gardener) - they loved them and there have been peels of laughter wafting across the fence !  

• 2 weeks later...

I never want to hear the words 'inner goddess' in my life ever again. (not that its a part of my usual vocabulary but its said a lot in the books).

Edited by Weave

I never want to hear the words 'inner goddess' in my life ever again. (not that its a part of usual vocabulary but its said a lot in the books).

:giggle2:  I feel your pain....um, whoops, scratch that! :P  :roll:

You know though, the idea of an "inner goddess" for women is not such a bad idea.  We women should feel that way about ourselves.  Not to mention have men that make us feel that way. :)

Edited by pontalba

• 3 weeks later...

:giggle2:  I feel your pain....um, whoops, scratch that! :P  :roll:

You know though, the idea of an "inner goddess" for women is not such a bad idea.  We women should feel that way about ourselves.  Not to mention have men that make us feel that way. :)

I completely agree pontalba, its not a bad idea at all but Ana takes it completely out of context, she wants to beat up Christian's former lover and her 'inner goddess' is like 'heck yeah!' (that is not the wording in the book but you get the point) :lol:

Edited by Weave

I completely agree pontalba, its not a bad idea at all but Ana takes it completely out of context, she wants to beat up Christian's former lover and her 'inner goddess' is like 'heck yeah!' (that is not the wording in the book but you get the point) :lol:

Agreed. ;)

Why not? :D

What I meant was women like to go on about all they deserve for the achievement of being female, i.e. divine. So do they grant men the same claim to divine greatness? Which, 99% of the time, they don't. And I say that as a female.

What I meant was women like to go on about all they deserve for the achievement of being female, i.e. divine. So do they grant men the same claim to divine greatness? Which, 99% of the time, they don't. And I say that as a female.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'deserving for the achievement of being female', I guess I thought feeling one has a sense of inner godness just means that one's feeling good about oneself. I don't know if I would attach any sense of deserving things for it. A sense of entitlement? No. 

"Inner Goddess"? In that case, for the sake of equality, are men allowed to have and indulge an "Inner God"? Didn't think so.

Oh, good grief, no.  Too many men already think "god" should be in their description.  :sarcastic:

I think all the "inner goddess" truly means is that women should be proud of who and what they are, and relish their womanliness.  Honor themselves and appreciate themselves. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'deserving for the achievement of being female', I guess I thought feeling one has a sense of inner godness just means that one's feeling good about oneself. I don't know if I would attach any sense of deserving things for it. A sense of entitlement? No. 

I was somewhat sarcastic in my choice of words. But if your definition was true there would be nothing wrong with it. Listening to many women you get a strong sense of entitlement which often takes advantage of men.

Oh, good grief, no.  Too many men already think "god" should be in their description.  :sarcastic:

I think all the "inner goddess" truly means is that women should be proud of who and what they are, and relish their womanliness.  Honor themselves and appreciate themselves. 

As if a sense of entitlement (god complex) was a male thing.

I'm all for having self-respect - as an individual, any individual. And gender is just one minor thing among many that make an individual.

What's the big deal with being female? You're either one gender or the other. Isn't pride in one's incidental gender aiming a little low? It was just a toss of the dice before birth after all. Shouldn't pride be reserved for things we have achieved and that actually matter?

I was somewhat sarcastic in my choice of words. But if your definition was true there would be nothing wrong with it. Listening to many women you get a strong sense of entitlement which often takes advantage of men.

Ah, sarcasm can fly right over someone on a forum, what with not being able to see one's expression and hear the tone of one's voice :) I think my definition is a very idealistic one and possibly not one others would agree with :) But I do think that when someone's really enjoying their own 'inner gender', it's not something that should be about diminishing the value of the other sex. Oh that was an awkward sentence but I hope that makes sense. 

What's the big deal with being female? You're either one gender or the other. Isn't pride in one's incidental gender aiming a little low? It was just a toss of the dice before birth after all. Shouldn't pride be reserved for things we have achieved and that actually matter?

That's a very good point and I would agree. However, what with a book like this, where sexuality plays a significant role, it's not that far fetched in my opinion that someone's enjoying their inner goddess or god has a lot to do with their gender and the 'tools' they were thus provided with. :shrug:

Edit: And I also think it's more about one's pleasure in one's gender than actual pride in it. 

Edited by frankie

Ah, sarcasm can fly right over someone on a forum, what with not being able to see one's expression and hear the tone of one's voice :) I think my definition is a very idealistic one and possibly not one others would agree with :) But I do think that when someone's really enjoying their own 'inner gender', it's not something that should be about diminishing the value of the other sex. Oh that was an awkward sentence but I hope that makes sense. 

Ah see, but you're a guy, going by your photo. I.e. usually more logical, much as it hurts me to bow to stereotypical characteristics. Your definition probably is idealistic, which is why I didn't suspect it.

Btw, have you heard of MGTOW? (Maybe not a subject for this thread though.)

That's a very good point and I would agree. However, what with a book like this, where sexuality plays a significant role, it's not that far fetched in my opinion that someone's enjoying their inner goddess or god has a lot to do with their gender and the 'tools' they were thus provided with. :shrug:

Well,"that" is the one part of life where gender does matter. (Haven't read the book though.)

Edited by SiameseCat

Ah see, but you're a guy, going by your photo. I.e. usually more logical, much as it hurts me to bow to stereotypical characteristics. Your definition probably is idealistic, which is why I didn't suspect it.

Btw, have you heard of MGTOW? (Maybe not a subject for this thread though.)

I'm actually a woman :) What's MGTOW?

Well,"that" is the one part of life where gender does matter. (Haven't read the book though.)

I haven't read the book myself, either, but you raise some very interesting points! :)