Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story

Michelle

claudia.jpg

Claudia’s Story is a retelling of Interview with the Vampire, from the viewpoint of Claudia, and presented in a gorgeous graphic novel.

For those not familiar with the books, Claudia is just a child when turned into a vampire. She’s looked after by Lestat and Louis, two very different vampires. As she grows in mind, but not in body, she comes to love one and hate the other, whilst questioning her life, her kind, and her future.

I would imagine that most people interested in this book will be existing fans of the series, but I came to it with a different perspective, as someone with no real knowledge.

The artwork in the book is wonderful. It has a general sepia tone to it, but with splashes of colour when blood and fire are involved, which stand out in a stunning way. There is great detail within the drawings, along with the manga feel, a great combination.

I’m fairly new to graphic novels, and I’m always concerned whether they can portray a story in enough detail, but this one has me converted. Although this is Claudia’s story, I also felt Lestat and Louis were richly portrayed.

Not only does the horror come across well, thanks to the rich graphics and use of colour, but there’s a sensuality to it as well.

This really should appeal to many people. For existing readers of the series, it offers a new viewpoint, and for those curious about it, it’s a great introduction. Readers of graphic novels should find plenty to love, and those unsure about the format may just find themselves converted.

Stunning, rich in detail, horrific and sensual.