Rhianna Pratchett to Take Over the Discworld

Raven

In an interview with New Statesman, confirmed in Terry Pratchett's own Twiitter feed, the author has said that his daughter Rhianna will take over the Discworld series when he can no longer write himself.

You can read more here: Terry Pratchett: My daughter Rhianna will take over the Discworld when I'm gone.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

I heard an interview with him years ago where he said that in his will it stipulated that all uncompleted manuscripts would be destroyed upon his death and no further book would be allowed. I quite liked that idea at the time, but of course situations change and I guess Terry was expecting a good many more years before that eventuality came to pass.

I know Rhianna is lead writer on the new Tomb Raider game and in the article above she's also being linked to the new BBC Night Watch series, but past that I know very little about her and have never read anything she has written.

I guess we will have to wait and see . . .

I wasn't sure how I felt when I read this article either. In a way I'm happy that Discworld will continue after Terry Pratchett is unable to write, because I love all the books and would be so sad to see the end of them. But then, like you said Raven, we don't really know anything about Rhianna Pratchett's writing, and I'd hate to think the Discworld series would become something different once she starts writing them. But I don't think Terry Pratchett would have even suggested the idea if he wasn't sure his daughter could carry on the series in a way he would have done, so I'm pretty hopeful for them. Also the new Tomb Raider storyline does look really good :smile:

• 2 months later...

Can't say I'm overly thrilled about this. It always feels like somebody is trying to live off other people's ideas when somebody continues a series or setting they didn't create themselves. That said, maybe it'll be amazing and I'll have to shut my mouth. Here's hoping.

I meant to post this earlier, but this was in this month's Discworld Monthy e-mail:

Some of the newspapers have reported that Rhianna Pratchett will take over writing Discworld novels after Terry stops.  Rhianna and Terry actually meant that Rhianna is well placed to concentrate on co-writing the adaptations for Narrativia and working on spin off works because of her in depth knowledge of Discworld.  Rhianna has no plans to write Discworld novels as she feels Discworld these should remain her father's legacy.