Mrs Bookworms Book Blog

Mrs_Bookworm

Ahh the use of alliteration and I have only writtin the title of my blog.

So, as you can see I am going to use this space to write about the books I read from now on, there is no list just what takes my fancy.

I will begin with a slight introduction.

I'm Beth, 22, from Yorkshire and recently married (July 2012)

I have a wonderful Husband and a baby called Charlie (he's a dog).

Books have been with me throughout my life begining with my Dad reading me bedtime stories, using the most boring voice possible as he knew it would send me to sleep.

Then my Mum, Princess Smartypants, the book I have tried to base my life on but, unfortunately, the Husband swept me off my feet before I made him battle a Dragon.

Harry Potter - do I really need to say anymore? I have grown up with this book, literally. I was the same age as the characters when the first book was released and so on so forth, and what kid doesn't wish they could receive a letter from Hogwarts ... Just me then?

And so, as I have grown up so have the books I read.

Crime ficton - the more blood and twists and turns the better.

Romance - love, sex and heartbreak

And now enough about me ... To the next post where I will officially begin my book blog :smile:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh a new bookblog ... 'citing :smile: Welcome Beth :006: I love Harry too .. but I was a lot older by the time I read him :giggle2: still the books set my imagination on fire. I don't know if I want to go to wizarding school, I hyperventilate a bit when away from home for too long but I'd love a shopping trip to Hogsmeade .. as long as it was free of dementors :ghost:

Book One

The Diary of a Submissive - Sophie Morgan

the-diary-of-a-submissive-a-true-story.jpg

Blurb (as written on the back of the book)

Sophie Morgan is a young, independent woman working as a journalist. She's intelligent, articulate, witty and fun. The girl next door. Except that in bed she surrenders her freedom to a dominant man for their mutual pleasure...

Sophie's memoir tells the true story of what it means to be a submissive. We follow her from the unexpected thrill of her first encounter through to gasp-inducing punishments as she experiments with her newly awakened sexuality - but it isn't until she meets James, a real life Christian Grey, that Sophie finds herself pushing her eroticism to its limits. As their relationshiop grows darker she begins to ask herself: how far is she willing to go - physically and emotionally?

Ok so after having read the 50 Shades trilogy earlier on in the year I was reluctent to buy this book but for less than 4 quid (and the sheer curiosity to hear what a real submissive had to say on the subject) I bought the book.

Now for me 50 Shades had too much lip biting and loose hanging trousers. I made no sense to me and felt like it had been written by a child. I got fed up with Christian's mood swings and the fact it was Twilight with pages and pages of sex added and no vampires or werewolves.

'The Diary of a Submissive' is so much better, I felt as though I was there with Sophie (which may sound a little odd but I know what I mean). It's written to a good standard, not in diary form though as I expected, but no matter, I was fully enthralled. So enthralled I finished the book in an afternoon.

The characters stood out and all differed from one another, I won't go into detail as I dont want to spoil the book for anyone who wishes to read it. All I will say is I cant choose my favourite.

There was minimal lip biting and no trousers hanging in a certain way (a way I still havent figured out).

So if you read 50 Shades and enjoyed it read 'The Diary of a Submissive'

And if you read 50 Shades and didn't enjoy it read 'The Diary of a Submissive'

Welcome, Beth. :) I look forward to reading this blog.

Hi,

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm looking forward to writing this blog and reading loads of books :readingtwo:

Ooh a new bookblog ... 'citing :smile: Welcome Beth :006: I love Harry too .. but I was a lot older by the time I read him :giggle2: still the books set my imagination on fire. I don't know if I want to go to wizarding school, I hyperventilate a bit when away from home for too long but I'd love a shopping trip to Hogsmeade .. as long as it was free of dementors :ghost:

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I think if I still lived at home I would have hyperventerlated as I leant on my mum too much but if they sent for me now (not that they would :angry: ) I would feel comfortable going as I've just moved house.

I love your dementor icon haha!

Harry Potter - do I really need to say anymore? I have grown up with this book, literally. I was the same age as the characters when the first book was released and so on so forth, and what kid doesn't wish they could receive a letter from Hogwarts ... Just me then?

Me, me, me! I still hope I'll get my Hogwarts letter :P

Welcome to the forum!

Well I've just read back through my first 'review' if that's what we can call it and I personally think its a little bit weak.

I need a structure.

I'm currently reading the Green Mile and have found sone excerpts that I really like and have decided that when I write my next review on this book I would like to include them.

If anyone has any ideas on a quick and easy format for me to follow please feel free to let me know. I'm going to have a go at putting one together myself but you lot have been here have been here longer than me and all know what you want to see in a review.

I'm looking forward to your posts

Beth :)

Thanks kids mum.

I would have has Charlie as a name for my 1st baby but I can't now as it would be a little odd having the dog and baby called Charlie.

No worries plenty of time for choosing another name, babies are way into the future for us, new house first :)

Great book! I read it a few years ago for GCSE English as a mature student. I'm trying to persuade my husband to try it. It's a thousand miles from his usual reads (if at least one person hasn't been violently killed within the first few pages he's disappointed! :P ) but I'm sure he'd enjoy it.

My eldest son is called Charlie! :)

Is he cheeky? My little boy is, i sometimes wonder if i'd called him something like John would he have been more sensible my sister says he's just like William from the Richmal Crompton books :smile:

Thanks kids mum.

I would have has Charlie as a name for my 1st baby but I can't now as it would be a little odd having the dog and baby called Charlie.

No worries plenty of time for choosing another name, babies are way into the future for us, new house first :)

Oh definitely you can't name any of your children after the dog it would get very confusing :giggle2: I liked Toby as a name but my OH had a dog called that when he was young so we had to rule it out, i think in the end Charlie was the only name we could agree on :smile:

Is he cheeky? My little boy is, i sometimes wonder if i'd called him something like John would he have been more sensible my sister says he's just like William from the Richmal Crompton books :smile:

Oh yes, very cheeky, even aged 13, in fact when he was a baby Mothercare did some clothes with Cheeky Charlie on them..he had them all! :D.

Great book! I read it a few years ago for GCSE English as a mature student. I'm trying to persuade my husband to try it. It's a thousand miles from his usual reads (if at least one person hasn't been violently killed within the first few pages he's disappointed! :P ) but I'm sure he'd enjoy it.

It is a great book, I read it for GCSE English too :) unfortunately my local library didn't have the book in so I got Time Travellers Wife instead until they get it in for me.

Your husband sounds like my dad used to be haha

Oh definitely you can't name any of your children after the dog it would get very confusing :giggle2: I liked Toby as a name but my OH had a dog called that when he was young so we had to rule it out, i think in the end Charlie was the only name we could agree on :smile:

Not only confusing but I would feel quite mean naming it after the dog lol.

Book Two

The Green Mile - Stephen King

GreenMile.png

Blurb (as written on the back of the book)

At Cold Mountain penitentiary, along the lonely stretch of cells known as the Green Mile, condemned killers such as 'Billy the Kid' Wharton and the possesed Eduard Delacroix await death strapped to 'Old Sparkey'. But good or evil, innocent or guilty, prisoner or guard, none has ever seen the brutal likes of the new prisoner, John Coffey, sentenced to death for raping and murdering two young girls. Is Coffey a devil in human form? Or is he a far, far different kind of being?

There are more wonders in heaven and hell than anyone at Cold Mountain can imagine and one of those wonders might just have stepped amongst them.

Origionally sold as 6 parts:

The Two Dead Girls

The Mouse on the Mile

Coffey's Hands

The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix

Night Journey

Coffey on the Mile

The book follows memoirs of Paul Edgecome an elderly man in a care home who is writing about his time as a Prison Office, specifically 1932.

I could review each smaller book seperately but I dont think that is needed and it will take forever haha!

What do I think of the main character?

I know that Paul Edgecome should be the main character but for me every character was. I feel that Stephen King described every characters story and they were all mentioned just as much as the next. It's really hard to figure out who should be classed as the main character, John Coffey, Paul Edgecome, Eduard Delacroix or even Mr Jingles, each of them brought excitement and humour to the book.

Who was my favourite character?

Mr Jingles easily. He had his own personality. So smart, knowing that Delacouix would be arriving, chasing the spool, only eating food from regular prison guards, all of it made me in awe of him. His determination at the end of the book to keep chasing the spool despite his age made me think of my Grandparents, the way they continue(d) to do chores they know are now too difficult for them.

Was the book different from what I expected?

Yes. I watched the film first, so I used that to base the book on. The book is so much better.

With the film you meet elderly Paul Edgecome at the beginning and at the end, whereas with the book we learn more about him and his life within the care home. His relationships with staff and other residents, it makes his character more rounded and real.

The film shows that Paul finds the truth about John's innocence through touch, in the book he figures it out, becomes some sort of dectective.

Share a favourite scene/quote from the book

I have two very, very different quotes to share:

'The lights dimmed down again, but only a little; you wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't been looking for it. That meant Van Hay had pulled the switch some wit had labeled MABEL'S HAIR DRIER.'

Don't ask me why I like this I just do, perhaps its the humour, actually something you shouldn't laugh at. The guy was murdering someone and I'm laughing at the fact that it's labeled 'Mabel's Hair Drier'

'She laughed and kissed my forehead just above the eyebrow. It used to make me prickle all over when Janice did that, and it still made me prickle all over when Elaine did it early this morning. I guess some things never change.'

I just really like that he has found another companien. It reached my soppy girly side

Overall I loved the book, even though I had seen the film (over and over again I might add). I loved the book, I just couldn't put it down. I wanted to know what Paul figured out next about John Coffey. I wanted to know what happened in all the little bits they missed from the film.

I would happily pick up the book and read it again and I'm sure if I did I would find new things to like and enjoy.

Beth

(let me know if you think this review is any better, I hope it is)

I've heard so many good things about The Time Traveler's Wife, really have to start it too! Hope you enjoy it :)

Yes the librarian said that it was a good read. I've seen the film and really enjoyed it hopefully the book will be better. They usually are :)

• 6 months later...

I know, I know.

I've been away a while and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read any books. Not one :(Family problems etc etc have meant that I haven't had time to do much of anything.

But now I am back and determined to read!

Chat to you all soon x