The Wonder Series by R J Palacio

vodkafan

Wonder

R J Palacio

This is basically a feel-good book. It is about a little boy, August who has a seriously deformed face , who has been protected from the reactions of the outside world by his family. But now he is seven years old and it is time for him to go to school and be with other children his own age.

The book is about his first year and how it changes him and how he changes others.

I liked this book although I did find it a bit overly sentimental at times. Also the seven year olds seem to speak and think in much more older ways than I considered realistic, but then again a book written in a seven year old's vocabulary would not be a good read. If this had been a film I probably would not watch it because the thick treacle would be unbearable.

I liked the author's method of having different people as well as August telling their viewpoints. For instance his elder sister's take on things was a much needed balance.

It was a short book and an easy read.

I've got this on my Amazon wishlist as it has been promoted by them a few times. It's a bit expensive for the Kindle (£8.29 - and I never realised it was a short book until now) so I will wait till it comes down in price.

Hi bobblybear yes it was a bit dear but I was getting desperate to fulfil my Genre Challenge. I am sure the price will come down presently. About the length, on my kindle with fairly small font size it goes 313 pages I just checked. Maybe it just seemed a short book to me as it was a one-day read

• 1 month later...

I've got this on my Amazon wishlist as it has been promoted by them a few times. It's a bit expensive for the Kindle (£8.29 - and I never realised it was a short book until now) so I will wait till it comes down in price.

Just came across this. Adding it to my wishlist.

Its now £2.84 for the kindle if you're still interested ;)

• 2 years later...

The first book in the series has the title Wonder and I stumbled across it 2 years ago, just because I was intrigued by the cover!

Wow, what a find!!!!!

It is a book which takes you on an emotional rollercoaster.  Auggie, the main character, was born with a facial deformity and this story tells of his first introduction to high school after being home schooled.  We meet some truly despicable characters who you will take an instant dislike to, but we also hear the story from friends and family and how Auggie's story affects them.

I couldn't put this book down and can't recommend it highly enough.  We had just 3 copies in the library but in 2 months every child in our Year 6 had borrowed it, read it and loved it!

The story doesn't end there...the author has now published 3 further book 'chapters' - The Julian Chapter, Pluto, Shingaling, which are all only available on e-book.  These chapters have expanded on the characters perspectives surrounding the original storyline.

Overall I would really recommend this series - for ages 10 upwards.

I have merged this with an existing topic :).

I read Wonder and the short story about Julian, and I really liked both. I highly agree with your review. I didn't know there were more perspectives available now! I've got to go and look them up, thanks for that :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this. Adding it to my wishlist.

Its now £2.84 for the kindle if you're still interested ;)

Just flicked back up a few posts, and back in November 2012 it was £8.29 for the Kindle which is why I didn't buy it.

I've just gone back onto Amazon and it's only £1.99 so I have bought it now. :boogie:

I hope you enjoy it :)!!

Has anyone read any of the short stories? I read the Julian one and I liked it, I was wondering if the other two are worth spending the money on them? They are ~$2 and ~$2.27 and the euro is currently pretty low so not the best buy for me at this point in time. But I'm curious if these two stories are good or not. I've stuck them on my wishlist but would be happy to hear of anyone who's read them all.

• 2 weeks later...