Pixie's Perusals and Riveting Reviews

Pixie

It has been over a year since I last visited this board, so I thought I would start a new book list/reviews thread.

Don't let the fancy thread title fool you. My reviews are nothing special, but if they help you decide if you want to read a novel, I guess they are good enough. :D

I'm only going to list my books a few at a time, as I'm never quite sure what I am going to read next.

Blue - To be Read

Red- Have Read

Pink- Reading now

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

Virconium by M. John Harrison

Ghost Story by Peter Straub (re-read)

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

Breeder by Douglas Clegg

The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny

My ratings will be between 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest. A 10 star rating system is too complicated for my wee brain. :giggle:

Edited by Pixie

I never thought of it before but you're right .. a 5 star rating is best. I currently do a 10 star but don't think I've ever used the 1-5. I might change it for next year.

Look forward to reading your riveting reviews Pixie :)

Thank you, poppyshake. :smile:

I've been nosing around in the other threads, looking at others reviews.

I'm hoping I find one that sparks my interest for a book I already have, as I have to be very careful about buying new books for now.

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

51Syfc2Fw-L._SS500_.jpg

Description: In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

My thoughts: Jim Butcher's Dresden series are just loads of fun to read if you like vampires, ghosts, faeries, wizards, demons, etc. mixed in with suspense, mystery, and action. This is the third book in the series, and I found it to be a page turner just like the first one. The second installment dragged a bit for me, but this one has you on the edge of your seat, waiting for the next fun twist in the plot. The characters lack depth, and yet you can't help but find Harry and those he often works with lovable. There are amusing moments, and even touching ones. The plot is simple, and yet keeps your interest. It did mine, anyway. If you are looking for a fun, light read that will relax you and you enjoy fantasy and light horror, you should love this book and the prior two. I am looking forward to my next Harry Dresden read. I notice I used the word "fun" three times or more. Well, I guess that is because this series is just that. The books always leave a smile on my face.

4/5 stars from me. :D