Recommend books that blew you away!

I have a $40 gift card to B&N coming in the mail and I would like suggestion from fellow readers.

What book have you read recently that just blew you away, it was so good?

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to recommend me any classics, because I have most of those, but anything else is fair game.

All I need is an explanation as to why you loved the book so much.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Looking forward to hearing about your favorites. :D

I don't really have a genre preference, as long as it's fiction.

The most important elements for me are relevant themes and thoughtful character development.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for poetic prose.

Example of books I love are Little, Big by John Crowley, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip, and The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.

Books I've read over the last couple of years that have stayed with me after I've finished them are

A thousand, splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

and the book I've just finished - Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

I would have included 11/22/63 by Stephen King, but I know you don't really like his books

Thank you, Ian.

I've read Life of Pi. It was just okay for me.

I already have A Thousand Splendid Suns, I just haven't read it yet.

Birdsong sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about it? Or maybe you have a review somewhere? I'll look for it.

Yeah, with Stephen King I've either already read it or don't want to read it. ;)

Edited by Pixie

Three that I read this year and have really enjoyed are:

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

There are reviews on them in my reading list. Have you read any Maggie O'Farrell or Margaret Atwood? They have both written some brilliant books, and may be up your street.

Thank you, bobblybear. :smile:

I've read The Forgotten Garden and loved it! Great recommendation.

I have The Thirteenth Tale, but have not read it yet.

I will read your review of Me Before You.

If you loved The Forgotten Garden, then I'm sure you'll feel the same about The Thirteenth Tale. They are quite similar in that they are about unraveling a mystery of the past. You almost feel you need to re-read the book as soon as it's finished, as the ending reflects back on so many things that happened earlier in the book that weren't really seen as important at the time. I love books like that - I think they are very cleverly written.

I recently read The Book With No Name (and just posted a review). It is just a good fun read - nothing too serious (its about vampires and bounty hunters!) but it was such good fun. One of those books you continue reading while walking along the road after you have got off the train! It probably wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, but if you are like Quentin Tarrantino style films, then you'll find this book very cool.

The one book that blew me away when I first read it (years ago) still remains The Godfather. Such a great book!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alkuajatus - The Original Thought (Hannu 2010)

I'm reading this book for the 3rd time, and it opens up more and more each time.

Briefly about the book: The human copies his thoughts for life from his environment. These outer thoughts define the goals, values and the "correct" things to do in life, and therefore they become outer wills, which push the own original will (The Original Thought) into the unconsciousness.

We could say that outer thoughts act as an outer manuscript for life, and therefore the person plays a role in a play written by others.

Alkuajatus describes the inner reality and how to reveal these outer thoughts, and thereby raising the consciousness of oneself. The book has taken me on a deep dive within myself, where I have started to find the answers to the questions of life, which I already had, but only had forgotten.

This book is an absolute must for everyone, recommended!

I agree with Steve regarding The Godfather by Mario Puzo - just make sure you get a good copy that isn't riddled with typos like mine was - there were, on average, two or three errors for every half dozen pages at least!

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend the following:

Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Sail by James Patterson

Swimsuit by James Patterson

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

A Kestrel For A Knave by Barry Hines

Well, we're almost two months down the line on this thread, so these suggestions may be superfluous, but it's good fun suggesting.

Most of my top dozen or so books are classics, but here's half a dozen non-classics, which I think should be one day.

A Month in the Country by JL Carr

Small and perfectly formed story of a war veteran employed one summer to restore a medieval church painting, and the redemption he finds in doing so. But there's so much more to this than just that. One of those books which you can't believe is only 100 pages or so long, it says so much. Perhaps the most beautiful book I've ever read.

A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot

Fiance of French WW1 soldier who was executed for self-inflicted wounding, sets out to find out why and how it happened. Complex mystery, with much to say about war as a whole, and characters I cared passionately about.

This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson

Historical fiction about the relationship between Charles Darwin and Robert Fitzroy, the captain of the Beagle. The history, the characters, and the settings (quite a bit set on the Beagle's voyage) brought vividly to life. Tragic that this was his only work of fiction.

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Which one will she marry? Monumental family saga set in newly independent India, but so, so easy to read. Another books where I cared passionately about the characters.

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Controversial writing style, but I loved it. A whole new view of Thomas Cromwell and the Tudor period, getting right inside the mind of one of the most enigmatic protagonists of the period.

The Sea Road by Margaret Elphinstone

One of my favourite writers (I also recommend Voyageurs), this fictionalised account of the settling of Greenland and Newfoundland by the Vikings, based on the sagas, sees things very much from the women's perspective, giving it a whole new feel. Like Thompson, brings history vividly to life.

Edited by willoyd

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some friends of mine were reading The Ballad of Charlie & Horse by Mark Stewart and raving about it, so I got a copy and now I see why. Its pretty hard core sex, drugs and rock and roll so not for everyone but I think it's one of the best books I've ever read!

Dear Mark Stewart - if you want to promote your own book using deception, it might have been better not to use your Twitter name! 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a $40 gift card to B&N coming in the mail and I would like suggestion from fellow readers.

What book have you read recently that just blew you away, it was so good?

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to recommend me any classics, because I have most of those, but anything else is fair game.

All I need is an explanation as to why you loved the book so much.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Looking forward to hearing about your favorites. :D

Hi Pixie!

I just finished reading "Plain Change (The Amish of Lititz: The Plain Fame Trilogy)"  and the moment I flipped the last page of Sarah Price’s second book

installment, first thing I did was look for this forum to share how amazing the book is! The first book, “Plain Fame (The Amish of Lititz: The Plain Fame Trilogy)” is awesome as well! You should get these books right now! I'm also sharing the link below for you:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/plain-change-sarah-price/1114742960?ean=9781482676068

Amish Christian Romances are very refreshing and teaches so many lessons in life, love and family.

Sarah Price has become one of my favorite amish christian romances authors together with Beverly Lewis, Beth Wiseman, Wanda Brunstetter and many others.

Edited by Michelle
link removed

• 2 weeks later...

I love/loved/will always love Mythago Wood and the follow up books (The Rhyhope Wood series) by Robert Holdstock. Fantasy with a touch of Jung about them. I've read and reread them.

Kingdoms of the Wall by Robert Silverberg is one I return to now and again.

• 1 month later...

There was a pretty eclectic mix of ladies in my last book club which meant that we got to read books, that might not have otherwise been bothered with. Some of these titles have stuck with me, not least Blood Sisters, by Babara and Stephanie Keating. I found it impossible to put down, grabbing a page or two between classes or in the taxi into town!