Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

Great haul, Pixie! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Magus, it sounds like a really great read, I have it on my TBR pile but haven't just gotten around to reading it yet :)

Thanks, frankie. I will certainly share my thoughts, when I get to it. But who knows when that will be? :shrug::D

I finished Grave Peril today and will be starting The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks. This is my first attempt at reading one of his books. I hope I enjoy it. :smile:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson yesterday, and I'm hooked! I'm very much looking forward to getting into it again today. I want to know what happens (and I seriously need to get some of my library loans read so I can get to my own new books!!)

Oh, that is a BRILLIANT book! Enjoy!

I'm on holiday, so haven't done much reading. But I have bought several books....The Astaires, by Kathleen Riley; When I Left Home, by Buddy Guy (we're off to his restaurant in Chicago in a few days, so we're being extremely optimistic that we might meet him and be able to get it signed); Kissing Outside the Lines, by Diane Farr, The Great Typo Hunt - Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time, by Jeff Deck; and Clockers by Richard Price.

Thanks, frankie. I will certainly share my thoughts, when I get to it. But who knows when that will be? :shrug::D

That's always the (bittersweet) problem with books and members on here :giggle:

Fingersmith is next on the list. Looking forward to it.

This is one of my favorites, I hope you will enjoy it! :)

Oh, that is a BRILLIANT book! Enjoy!

Thanks Ruth, I did enjoy it, I read about 150 pages of it in bed last night, I just couldn't put it down and had to finish :D What a great debut novel!

I'm on holiday, so haven't done much reading. But I have bought several books....The Astaires, by Kathleen Riley; When I Left Home, by Buddy Guy (we're off to his restaurant in Chicago in a few days, so we're being extremely optimistic that we might meet him and be able to get it signed); Kissing Outside the Lines, by Diane Farr, The Great Typo Hunt - Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time, by Jeff Deck; and Clockers by Richard Price.

I don't know Buddy Guy but good luck with your trip to Chicago and meeting the man himself! :)

I'm in between books at the moment, I finished Before I Go To Sleep last night, and I'm off to Joensuu in a while, so I don't think I'll be starting with a new book yet, I'll wait til I get home. So many books to read....

My compulsive need to finish every book I start probably means I won't finish anymore books by the end of the year! I started The Children's Book at least a month ago...halfway through I decided to read something else, but didn't return it to the library so I could finish it. Now I'm back to it, but I just can't get into it at all. I want to finish it because it's on the 1001 Books List, and I'm already 300 pages in, so it would be a pity not to. I have to take it back to the library soon (although I can renew it a second time) so I really must be done with it.

I fear my book related activity for a while will just center on this :(

Awww. :hug: I used to be the same - then a few years ago I decided life was too short to read books I'm not enjoying - and was glad of the freedom of being able to give up on a book. Can't you 'put it to one side' again with a view to returning to it... one day... and just enjoy the other books you have? I read the first 200 pages of that book myself before giving up.

No, it's not that, it's me, reading too fast as usual! I'm trying not to give anything away about the book until the Reading Circle!

:D I'm happy it wasn't for some other reason, although I did guess you were rolling your eyes only because you are ahead of the 'game' :) Don't be hard on yourself for being a quick reader, I would give a lot to be as speedy as you :)

I'm back in Joensuu and have the luxury of choosing whatever I want to read. Although I should go for another library loan, just to make the pile a bit smaller... :blush:

I finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese which was wonderful.

Change of pace somewhat as I've now started Heidi by Johanna Spyri (free on iBooks and I always meant to read it when I was growing up) but it's not grabbing me. Maybe I'm just too old for it - the overly-simplistic writing style is already beginning to grate.

This is one of my favorites, I hope you will enjoy it! :)

I've started it, and enjoy it so far. I like books set in 'the olden days'; they have a certain feel to them. I think life in those days must have been quite harsh and I think that's what fascinates me about it.

I finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese which was wonderful

I will be reading this one soon, I'm so glad to hear you thought highly of it.

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivy finally arrived today.

I'm almost 100 pages in to The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks and enjoying it. It's an easy read, and I have a good idea of where it is going, but it's a page turner nonetheless. The prologue made me cry.

Awww. :hug: I used to be the same - then a few years ago I decided life was too short to read books I'm not enjoying - and was glad of the freedom of being able to give up on a book. Can't you 'put it to one side' again with a view to returning to it... one day... and just enjoy the other books you have? I read the first 200 pages of that book myself before giving up.

What I've decided in the end is to start a new book but still set aside maybe 45min-an hour every day and get through this. I'm just too far ahead to stop. Also I'm glad (ok, that's not a good word) that I'm not the only one who had trouble with it!

I read that for the Reading Circle and thought it was great. Hope you enjoy it!

I started The Pedant In The Kitchen by Julian Barnes (recommended by poppyshake :smile2:) at lunchtime, and looks like I'll be finishing it this evening.

Hope you got on ok with it Claire and The Vanishing Act too :) wow you are eating books as normal :D

When you've finished reading this, go to the Candide thread on here and post your thoughts, if you wish, we've had a few giggles in the thread :D

I look forward to it frankie :) I'm getting towards the end of it now although there are still some appendices and intro's etc that I haven't read. So funny though, I don't know why I thought it would be serious. I love it :D

Picked up The Bell Jar this morning, was just going to glance at it .. several chapters later I'm hooked :D Isn't it nice, when you've long wanted to read a book, when it turns out to be as good as you were hoping?

Just finished 'Mockingjay' the final book of 'The Hunger Games Trilogy' by Suzanne Collins and I thought it was incredible. It's not often that I like all of the books in a series, but none of these books have disappointed me. I'm looking forward to re-reading this trilogy.

However now, I'm about to re-read 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein, as part of the forum's reading circle. I may be a bit late reading this, but better late than never!

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Hunger Games Trilogy". My favorite read so far this year though has been "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.

No, it's not that, it's me, reading too fast as usual! I'm trying not to give anything away about the book until the Reading Circle!

:D I'm happy it wasn't for some other reason, although I did guess you were rolling your eyes only because you are ahead of the 'game' :)

frankie is smarter than I am!

I guess I can't see being able to read half a book in one sitting as a bad thing - that's around 180 books a year! :P

What I've decided in the end is to start a new book but still set aside maybe 45min-an hour every day and get through this. I'm just too far ahead to stop. Also I'm glad (ok, that's not a good word) that I'm not the only one who had trouble with it!

That sounds like a good plan. :)

I've started it, and enjoy it so far. I like books set in 'the olden days'; they have a certain feel to them. I think life in those days must have been quite harsh and I think that's what fascinates me about it.

I agree. What I also love about the 'olden days' books is that there are no electric gadgets, people still get handwritten letters and they are devoured and cherished. *sigh* It's just so much more romantic!

I look forward to it frankie. I'm getting towards the end of it now although there are still some appendices and intro's etc that I haven't read. So funny though, I don't know why I thought it would be serious. I love it

I didn't know what the book was about when I started reading it some years ago, and like you, I thought for some reason that it would be a serious book, something really difficult to get into. Boy was I surprised :D I think it seriously warrants a re-read soon :yes:

Picked up The Bell Jar this morning, was just going to glance at it .. several chapters later I'm hooked. Isn't it nice, when you've long wanted to read a book, when it turns out to be as good as you were hoping?

Ooooh! So great to hear this! It has been kind of worrying that you haven't yet read it, I think Kylie will also be very happy to hear this. :)

frankie is smarter than I am!

Don't worry, it was an odd one off occasion, we'll be back to normal soon :D

I needed a non-fiction book last night for bed, and I thought I'd go with something light too, but I ended up with a book about psychopaths. So far it's rather average, excluding the case histories I've read nothing I didn't know already. I guess I've been reading too many crime books :giggle:

I needed a non-fiction book last night for bed, and I thought I'd go with something light too, but I ended up with a book about psychopaths. So far it's rather average, excluding the case histories I've read nothing I didn't know already. I guess I've been reading too many crime books :giggle:

Very light reading there! What book is it?