Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

I'm currently reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, and really enjoying it (it's a bit of tome though, so might take me a while which will be no reflection on enjoyment levels!)

Also purchased The Art of Racing in the Rain after seeing it was £2.99 on kindle

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Way of Kings is not catching my interest at the moment, so I'm going to try something different. Don Quixote is my next choice. I hope I can slog through this thick tome, or perhaps I am just tilting at windmills. :P

I'm reading Huntress by Malinda Lo and really enjoying it. However, I enjoyed The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins so much that I kind wish I was still reading that!

Never fear though, I know Santa has plans to put the sequels in my stocking on Xmas eve. :)

I'm half way through Before I go to sleep, not a book I tend to read but it was recommended by a relative. I'm quite enjoying it actually but wish the pace was a bit quicker!

Andie x

Is that the John Barrowman one? I heard it's not that highly thought of, so it may not be just you. :)

I was hopeful as the reviews are generally good but it wasn't to be, never mind, I'm sure one of my kids will enjoy it at some point. :)

Just come back from the library with:

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

This has received some excellent reviews on here, it's on my wishlist. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

This is a superb novel :smile2:

I've finally finished The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides and started reading When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (which I'm absolutely loving so far!)

Read the first part of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so awesome. I really need to get the rest of them.

Started The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling and I really like it so far! I'm glad I gave it a shot and sort of put aside all the comments I've been reading about it.

I'm enjoying part two of Perfume: Story of a Murderer. Now just two chapters away from part three!

Edited by Devi

Started reading When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (which I'm absolutely loving so far!)

Very good book! Unusual, but very very good.

I'm enjoying part two of Perfume: Story of a Murderer. Now just two chapters away from part three!

Another excellent book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just discovered Lev Grossman wrote a sequel to The Magicians, one of my favourite books, so I've just ordered the (The Magician King, in case anyone is interested) and am going to re-read The Magicians while I await its arrival! I'm also perusing "A Brief History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson at work, but it's going slowly as I'm making lots of notes as I go along. I've also gotten Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind as I've recently fallen in love with the man and as such am immersing myself in everything he's ever done, ever.

Huh, I'm actually quite busy lately bookwise!

I just discovered Lev Grossman wrote a sequel to The Magicians, one of my favourite books, so I've just ordered the (The Magician King, in case anyone is interested) and am going to re-read The Magicians while I await its arrival!

Oooh, don't ya just love it when you discover one of your favourite books has a sequel or two? Always fun! :exc:

I'm also perusing "A Brief History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson at work, but it's going slowly as I'm making lots of notes as I go along. I've also gotten Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind as I've recently fallen in love with the man and as such am immersing myself in everything he's ever done, ever.

Huh, I'm actually quite busy lately bookwise!

Hey! I'm not the only freak here that takes notes when reading books? Somehow I feel so much better knowing that, so thanks for sharing! :D:readingtwo:

I've also gotten Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind as I've recently fallen in love with the man and as such am immersing myself in everything he's ever done, ever.

I really like Derren Brown! I wrote to him and he sent me a signed photo! :blush:

I've read both of Roald Dahl's 'Charlie' books over the last two days. I didn't much care for Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I haven't decided what to read next.

I finished "The Conductor" by Sarah Quigley and although it was a slow starter I actually ended up enjoying it. I'm now reading a gem of a book by Norman collins called "The Husband's Story" and hoping to get a start on "The Citadel" by Kate Mosse soon.

Hey! I'm not the only freak here that takes notes when reading books? Somehow I feel so much better knowing that, so thanks for sharing! :D:readingtwo:

Haha I thought I was really weird for taking notes, now I feel better too! And you're welcome!

I really like Derren Brown! I wrote to him and he sent me a signed photo! :blush:

AWWW! How sweet of him! If you happen to still have an address for him, would you mind pmming it to me? I wouldn't mind trying this whole writing-to-him thing myself!

AWWW! How sweet of him! If you happen to still have an address for him, would you mind pmming it to me? I wouldn't mind trying this whole writing-to-him thing myself!

I got it off Derren's website - there was an address (of his agent, I vaguely remember) suggesting people to write in for signed pics. However, it was back in 2006 (according to the frank-mark on envelope, in which I keep it) when he wasn't as famous - the FAQs on his site have this info:

Can I get a signed object/photo?

Sending objects to us to get signed is a bad idea as they can get lost – you then lose your treasured item and we look like bad people. Derren does appear at the stage door after gigs if there is time – it’s not guaranteed though.

I did find this site though, which has info about how to get a signed photo.

http://www.fanmail.biz/63941.html

:)

Very good book! Unusual, but very very good.

It is, indeed! And it's another book which I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read someone's review of it on here :D

Another excellent book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I second the motion: Perfume is great!

Still going on with When God Was a Rabbit. It's quite unusual, it kind of reminds me of Room by Emma Donoghue which is weird because it's not samish at all. And I love it that I have no idea where this book is going.

I'm on the home stretch with Rivers of London. Liking it, but not loving it as much as some have. I should finish it tonight, and then it's on to The Loop by Nicholas Evans. He wrote The Horse Whisperer. I don't think I've read a book of his that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

I've also gotten Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind as I've recently fallen in love with the man and as such am immersing myself in everything he's ever done, ever.

I've read both of Roald Dahl's 'Charlie' books over the last two days. I didn't much care for Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I haven't decided what to read next.

I have fallen a little bit in love with Derren Brown over the past couple of weeks (some of his specials have been airing here, which I think are several years old, but no matter). :)

Janet, I usually adore everything Dahl does, but I remember being a bit disappointed in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I wondered at the time if I was somehow influenced by the fact that my copy wasn't illustrated by Quentin Blake, but maybe it was the story after all.

I haven't done any reading today. I have a blackout at the moment and it's too dark to read by natural light (why didn't I read while it was light and then use my laptop when it got dark? :doh:) I think I shall go and read by candlelight.

I stayed up late to finish Rivers Of London last night , i really enjoyed it & it's very different from what i normally read so thanks to everyone who recommended it. Luckily i have the next book in the series so i'm sure i'll be starting on that soon. Meanwhile i've gone back to Somerset Maugham & i've just started reading Catalina.

Evidently, I'm in the mood for a simple, fun read right now. After many false starts with other books, I finally settled in on Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, the third in the Dresden series, and I'm enjoying myself. :readingtwo::D