will you read a book with misplaced commas every twenty pages

I think any badly used punctuation is annoying if it continues throughout a piece of writing. The writing aside from that would have to be pretty good to make me stick with it for long.

Looking at what you have written here felines are superior, I instantly noticed that you hadn't used any capital letters in your sentences, which would be another thing that would annoy me after a while in any lengthy piece of writing, unless of course the writer is ee cummings.

Edited by Chrissy

It would realy depend on how good the book was. For example, I had a copy of The Godfather, which is an excellent read, that was riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors - we're talking at least one every other page. AT LEAST. It was infuriating, but the story itself was so fantastic, and the writing so engrossing, that I kept reading anyway. A lesser novel would have been dropped in a flash, as it really did bug me.

• 2 weeks later...

I often read books that don't use speech marks, and that gets a little wearing. You never know whether it's something being said, thought, or just happening to move the plot on!

Do you mean quotation marks around dialogue? If so, don't you find it confusing to figure who's talking if two or more characters are conversing?

Looking at what you have written here felines are superior, I instantly noticed that you hadn't used any capital letters in your sentences, which would be another thing that would annoy me after a while in any lengthy piece of writing, unless of course the writer is ee cummings.

Oh Chrissy, you beat me to it :giggle2:

let's say you find a book with misplaced commas such as, "he took his time, so his friend could get away." something like that. and there is one misplaced comma or so every twenty pages.

if you liked the book, would you read it, and how much would it bother you?

I'm far from a grammar expert, but if I read the sentence in your quote and pause with the comma, I believe that it could make sense and convey a different meaning from "he took his time so his friend could get away." As you haven't started it with a capital letter, I assume it's the end of a longer sentence so could, therefore, actually need the comma to make the point the author wanted. I would much rather have extra commas or the occasional wrongly placed comma than to have none at all, which makes reading very difficult as I never know where to pause to take a breath!