Time Team Cancelled

Raven

I'm in two minds over this. I've not watched in years, but when I did, I always enjoyed it. However, the show came under criticism a while back as they were often digging straight through stuff of historical importance in order to get to the stuff they wanted (usually Roman), which rather upset me, because although I know they have a very short amount of time (it's essentially speed archaeology), I'd rather have the whole picture and see AL the history, as would any history archaeology buffs, I'm sure.

So, on one hand I'm sad to see this show go, as it's made archaeology interesting and accessible to the masses, but at the same time, I'm relieved they won't be trashing any more recent stuff to get to Roman artifacts.

^ I think they would contest that.

There have been various reports over the years, especially when the show first started, about reckless archaeology, damage being done and the like and I think they have gone to great pains to ensure that anything they do is done professionally and well documented (you can download a lot of the site reports from various digs on Wessex Archaeology's website, for example).

I think it's a shame that the series is threatened - hopefully all us fans will protest loudly enough for a re-think by "them", and if the old show must go, a new version could be born?

I know the show helped encourage my own interest in history, and I never tire of watching the re-runs. It also encourages young and older people from all walks of life to respect our own heritage and the treasures from our past, which come to light. My only complaint has always been that the 3 day limit on the digs often ended frustratingly just when things were starting to get interesting!

I think it's a shame that the series is threatened - hopefully all us fans will protest loudly enough for a re-think by "them", and if the old show must go, a new version could be born?

Fan protests didn't stop them killing off Scrapheap Challenge, I'll be surprised if it does so here.

Personally I think C4 are to blame for the drop in ratings that has lead to this. Last year they didn't show the series in its usual post-Christmas slot and when they did show it they split the series in two with quite a gap between the two halves of the series (I ended up missing the first couple of the series because I missed it was back when it eventually aired). Then this year they kept bouncing it around in the schedules, sometimes starting as early a 4pm sometimes as late as 6pm (a much better slot for the show, in my opinion!).

• 7 months later...