The Thief of Always by Clive Barker

It's almost June and our reading circle book for the month has been chosen. Obviously some members will need time to get hold of a copy (myself included - I've just ordered it from Green Metropolis!). For June we'll be reading The Thief of Always by Clive Barker:

Mr. Hood's holiday house has stood for a thousand years, welcoming countless children into its embrace. It is a place of miracles, a blissful round of treats and seasons, where every childish whim may be satisfied. But there is a price to be paid. Harvey Swick finds out about the dark side.

I hope you'll all enjoy joining in the discussion!

I read a few chapters last night. I'm not sure about the writing style, the prose seems a little over elaborate for my taste. And the quality of writing seems good in parts but a little amateurish in others. I keep wanting to cross bits out with a pencil and declutter it. The story however is quite engaging so far. (I was grumbling to myself as I was reading, but I kept turning the pages) I'll see how I get on with it.

Mine arrived in the post this morning, had a little looky and am quite pleased! I thought Barker was a horror writer, but I'm pleased to see that this is a children's fable *sigh of relief* - the illustrations look great! My he's a talented man!! I'll probably give it a go at the weekend; I don't really want to interrupt my Eldest reading if possible!

Well my previous misgivings seem to have been unfounded. I'm half way through and really enjoying it. The style has either changed slightly further in or I've got used to it. Its a very intriguing story so far.

I'm off work today, not feeling great.. but have taken the opportunity to have a read, I'm a third of the way through so far and enjoying it. The story hasn't completely swept me up but it is intriguing enough to pull me through. I'm actually finding quite scary in places (I know I'm weak lol!), I imagine if I had read this as a kid I would have been seriously freaked out

the halloween prank of the hanging man was really dark and scared me!

I like that the story lept straight in, no fussing with any scene setting or backstory; it fell straight into 'what on earth?!' territory :sleeping-smiley-009 I like Barkers descriptions of things

I love the way he described Mrs Griffin, with her spider web skin and hair

I have some ideas about what is happening but I'm not willing to share them! Don't want to spoil anything! ..I want to try and finish this later so I'll let you know if I was right! (I hope so, it is a kids book after all! I can't let it best me!!).

I'm off work today, not feeling great.. but have taken the opportunity to have a read, I'm a third of the way through so far and enjoying it. The story hasn't completely swept me up but it is intriguing enough to pull me through. I'm actually finding quite scary in places (I know I'm weak lol!), I imagine if I had read this as a kid I would have been seriously freaked out

the halloween prank of the hanging man was really dark and scared me!

I like that the story lept straight in, no fussing with any scene setting or backstory; it fell straight into 'what on earth?!' territory :sleeping-smiley-009 I like Barkers descriptions of things

I love the way he described Mrs Griffin, with her spider web skin and hair

I have some ideas about what is happening but I'm not willing to share them! Don't want to spoil anything! ..I want to try and finish this later so I'll let you know if I was right! (I hope so, it is a kids book after all! I can't let it best me!!).

Oh no - hope you feel better soon.

I totally agree with you about

the description of Mrs Griffin "Her face was like a rolled up ball of cobwebs". I loved that.

Yes it is quite dark actually, like brothers grimm stories.

I've finished this one now and I loved the descriptions throughout the book, but the book itself felt slightly dated to me, even though it was first published as recently as 1992. Kids' "scary" books that are published now seem to be darker and more psychologically creepy, as well as having more "visual" (in the descriptive sense) scares that have the intensity kept up for longer than this one did. It felt to me like it was perhaps aimed at the 9-12 age bracket and I tend to prefer the 12-15+ chillers better, perhaps because they're more involved. I wished that a reason had been given - perhaps some kind of story of how Mr Hood's house came into being in the first place, and also wished that it had been made clearer exactly WHEN the other children were from.

The line drawings throughout my copy (drawn by Clive Barker) were gorgeous though - I really liked them.

Funny you should say Kell..

I always thought that too, there was never a lot of explanation about where the other children came from or in fact Mr Hood, who I did not find scary x

That's true, that's the thing I missed as well, how did the house come about - I think maybe Mrs Griffin could have filled us in a little bit more with that. Overall though, I really enjoyed it, and got really involved towards the end. Seeing the lady in the hat at the end almost brought a tear to my eye. For me, this book is a departure from the genres that I would usually read and so I am really happy that I enjoyed it. I know it is a childrens book, not a full blown adult horror, but it's good to get your toe in the water! (oooo...but not that water!!)

Oh I agree, the water was scary wasn't it? The best thing I liked about 'The Thief of Always' was all the cats...:)

I'm just over half way through, and really enjoying it.. I've had trouble getting into books recently, so something short, simple, and aimed at a younger market must be just what I need! lol

Kell, you say you don't find it scarey compared to most other books, but I'm not sure it's meant to be scarey as such..?

Also, it doesn't feel to me that I need to know how the house came into being, or when the other kids were there.. but maybe it will as the story goes on? I'll be back...! hehe

Kell, you say you don't find it scarey compared to most other books, but I'm not sure it's meant to be scarey as such..?

There are definitely moments where I think Barker is going for the chill factor, but he did it very mildly - I'm used to a little more "oomph" even from young adult books, but then it could be that I'm just used to the ones that are aimed at the slightly older market.

I think when Clive Barker wrote 'The Thief of Always' he wanted to maybe get away from the standard of horror he had been producing, and 'The Thief of Always' does have a underlying edge to it, something you can not put your finger on but you know its there.

:)

I enjoyed this book. I didn't feel the need to know too much about the background of the house. I think it was best left to the imagination.

I think Hood could have been scarier though. I found the other four Jive etc much creepier than Hood.

I had never read any Clive Barker and I will definitely be trying something else by him (well, providing I can find something not TOO scary).

I read this book today and quite enjoyed it. I really liked the underlying malevolence to it. Sometimes you just didn't know ow far he was going to take the descriptions.

I have read some other Clive Barker, aimed at the older audience, and have always enjoyed his stories. This is just another classic tale written for all ages to enjoy.

• 1 month later...

It had been a while since I read any Clive Barker, and I wasn't sure if I was up to a scary book -- but I couldn't stop myself from picking this one up when I saw it on the forum here. I forgot how much I liked his colorful style. It kind of creeped me out..the water! The Halloween theme! I was glad it was written on a milder level, though:)