Kindle Fire HD

jellykelly1337

My husband just surprised me with this and I love it. I love reading books and this makes it even easier Ive been able to finish two more books than usual in the last two weeks since I have had this. Just thought i would share. Its definitely worth checking out especially as a gift to a book lover. :)

Edited by Michelle

• 2 months later...

I've just had 1 for Xmas. I love it too. Its so addictive. I can't stop buying books though.

I wonder if I' 'll be able to read quicker with it. I have heard people say they read quicker with a kindle but never believed it.

I have a Fire (1st gen) and I find that I read faster on it. But in my case it is because I can see the print better on an e reader. This doesn't stop me from reading paper books though. Also it is easier to read in places one would not necessarily read such as waiting in line etc. I don't need to pull out my glasses, or find proper light. Enjoy your Kindles.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone bought the new Belkin Keyboard for the Fire?  It's new and I am wondering how the vertical position works or if it is a quality product.

Here's the link in case anyone is curious:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Kindle-Keyboard-Case-8-9-Inch/dp/B00HPM1G8Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1403325530&sr=1-2&keywords=belkin+keyboard+case

Here is the other one I am thinking about- much cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/KeyBook-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Kindle-Tablet/dp/B00FNNTEKQ/ref=pd_sim_kstore_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=15D3CNK1VT7D484AJV52

Edited by Anna Begins

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I received a Kindle Fire HD (32GB) as a Christmas gift, and though I am extremely appreciative of the gift, I find myself a little hesitant to use it. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite literate when it comes to tech devices, but in a weird sort of way using a Kindle feels like a bit of a betrayal to my beloved bound and paged books.

Logic has me realising that I am being pathetically silly.

Was anyone else reluctant to take that first estep into modernity? And if I am to embrace my Kindle what are the best ways to get the most out of it?

Is anyone else's Kindle Fire running out of memory? How much memory did you buy? What is the solution?

Mine is an HDX 7 with about 12gb of memory. I am not really sure what that means, but I am nowhere near running out of memory.

If you swipe down and click on settings, device options then storage, there should be an option for 1-tap archive where they can archive to the cloud stuff you haven't accessed in a while, thus freeing up space on the device. If there's an archived book or app you want to use again, just go to the cloud and reload it onto your device. Let me know if this works for you. :)

I received a Kindle Fire HD (32GB) as a Christmas gift, and though I am extremely appreciative of the gift, I find myself a little hesitant to use it. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite literate when it comes to tech devices, but in a weird sort of way using a Kindle feels like a bit of a betrayal to my beloved bound and paged books.

Was anyone else reluctant to take that first estep into modernity? And if I am to embrace my Kindle what are the best ways to get the most out of it?

I was quite unsure when I received an unasked for Kindle for Christmas last year. Surprisingly enough, I actually love it! I use it for internet, games, apps, Amazon shopping, email, Netflix, basically everything I would do on my phone or laptop but with a much better screen than the former and much more convenience and portability than the latter. I take it everywhere with me and would be lost without it.

As for reading, I had the same misgivings as you. I have come to use it for that as well, but in a certain way. I have a very limited book budget, so the Kindle is amazing for downloading samples of things to try before I buy. I'm also always on the lookout for freebies in the Kindle store; I've come across some amazing new authors or lesser-known works of famous ones that way.

I still prefer reading paper books, but the other thing it's incredibly handy for is the classics. Firstly, most of them are free. Secondly, most of them use archaic language or references. With a Kindle, one can just highlight any unfamiliar words and it will pop up a definition. The same with any obscure references. It's really quite a bit handier than lugging about a dictionary.

L

Edited by dtrpath27

I sympathize with your reluctance to use your Kindle.  I was the same way and was very anti-kindle for a while.  I've had my Kindle for a few years and I use it very often. Sometimes I'll read one real book and one book on my kindle at the same time.  One thing I found, it makes reading a lot quicker because it is so accessible and if you are busy, say doing housework, you can have the kindle read to you with most books.   When I got mine the Kindle Fire didn't exist, but I think I would be more reluctant of the Fire because of the other features that might distract me from reading.  I think when my Kindle becomes a dinosaur (it almost is) I will opt for one of the new versions that is strictly for reading, but it is your own personal preference.  

Well, the point I am trying to make is give it a try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  I don't know if this will sway you, but my grandmother got a Kindle identical to mine that same Christmas and she loves hers.  She will be 90 in April, and if she can get into something so modern I'm sure you can.  :D

Edited by nursenblack

It's interesting that the kindle only offers one memory size unkike apple or other tablets. Probably because it's more reading/book based so 12 gb would be plenty. But when wanting music and books on device its a bit limiting.

As far as putting itunes on the device you can do it manually by dragging when you plug it into a computer.

I have a normal kindle which I enjoy minus the fact that it doesnt have a backlight. I also have an android tablet which I like to read on even more. Kindle isnt ideal if you want more than just reading.

Edit: apparently there are different memory options

Edited by BSchultz19

Kindle isnt ideal if you want more than just reading.

I have to totally disagree.  Kindle HD Fire's have amazing quality, the speakers are good and they do so many things.  The internet works great, there are a wide variety of Apps (I love playing Candy Crush, Maleficent, and Frozen Free Fall).  The quality of video is awesome with the HD, Amazon's "video" section holds up to Netflix streaming, their music selection is great and both of these services cost little (a song 79 cents to $1.79, a movie rental $2.99- 3.99, but a lot are free with Prime).  The Newsstand is a great, so many different kinds of magazines (I love BBC History Magazine) you can buy by issue or via monthly. 

Audiobook selection is growing, but has most popular titles. And I don't have anything extra- no Prime, no Unlimited, no audible membership, etc.  They also have a front and back camera that take really good pictures. I believe new HD's have them now, but HDX's also have a "Mayday" button which directly connects you to Amazon's help center, which is amazing.  There is even a button to take you to all your email accounts.

The HD's home screen show in beautiful color the front cover of each book you have read or looked at for about 10 books.  Underneath them are 4 recommendations.  Basically, I don't need anything else but M. Word and Amazon even has their own version of that, which documents can be emailed and then printed or pasted into a Word document.

I have to totally disagree.  Kindle HD Fire's have amazing quality, the speakers are good and they do so many things.  The internet works great, there are a wide variety of Apps (I love playing Candy Crush, Maleficent, and Frozen Free Fall).  The quality of video is awesome with the HD, Amazon's "video" section holds up to Netflix streaming, their music selection is great and both of these services cost little (a song 79 cents to $1.79, a movie rental $2.99- 3.99, but a lot are free with Prime).  The Newsstand is a great, so many different kinds of magazines (I love BBC History Magazine) you can buy by issue or via monthly. 

Audiobook selection is growing, but has most popular titles. And I don't have anything extra- no Prime, no Unlimited, no audible membership, etc.  They also have a front and back camera that take really good pictures. I believe new HD's have them now, but HDX's also have a "Mayday" button which directly connects you to Amazon's help center, which is amazing.  There is even a button to take you to all your email accounts.

The HD's home screen show in beautiful color the front cover of each book you have read or looked at for about 10 books.  Underneath them are 4 recommendations.  Basically, I don't need anything else but M. Word and Amazon even has their own version of that, which documents can be emailed and then printed or pasted into a Word document.

This may be true, but kindle and amazon really hurt itself when it decided to have its own market rather than use the Google Play android market. Just like in the beginning of android, apps aren't all being made with the same quality or at all for the kindle market. More focus from app creators goes into apple and android products; however, this has been changing rapidly. 

My argument is that if you're looking for a tablet, don't get a kindle. If you're looking for an e-reader with extra capabilities that are convenient, then yes get a kindle. 

My argument is that if you're looking for a tablet, don't get a kindle. If you're looking for an e-reader with extra capabilities that are convenient, then yes get a kindle. 

I can agree with that :smile:

Hmm...interesting discussion. Bschultz, is it possible your difference in experience is due to having a regular Kindle as opposed to the Kindle Fire HD?

I do think that the seamless access to Amazon (along with customized Amazon wishlists for the whole family) made Christmas shopping a breeze! :)

Aside from spreadsheet/word processing capabilities that would be more convenient on a regular laptop, I haven't found much that I can't do. I have considered a Microsoft Surface, though, for that very reason. As my current job doesn't require those capabilities as much as my last position, and I am not into music, I've found the Fire HDX to be a perfect blend for me right now.

I agree that it's a great option for someone who loves to read and wants the convenience of being able to do other things as opposed to someone who needs more serious usage with a few books on the side. Plus, with the price tag of $100-$150 as opposed to $250-$300 for an iPad mini, there is just no comparison for me.

I was one that declared.....Never, Never......Never!

However, now I have two kindles and a mini iPad with Kindle app.  What can I say?  I am hooked.  Although we still have, literally, thousands of books here I still find myself on one of the kindle devices often.  The convenience is blazing.  And you can check email......./sigh/  Oh well.  Such is life. :D

To get the most out of it......ahhh...that's the question. Quite often you can download books you already have purchased from Amazon at a very reduced price, so the convenience of carrying the kindle outweighs many books....especially a hardback.  Amazon has great sales, Book Bub is another source of finding sales on Amazon of ebooks.  Yes, one has to pick and choose carefully, but they are out there.  And, sometimes an absolute gem comes along.  Worth the look through.  Classics out of copyright are free, and for regular ones you can download a part of the book for free  to peruse. 

Hmm...interesting discussion. Bschultz, is it possible your difference in experience is due to having a regular Kindle as opposed to the Kindle Fire HD?

I do think that the seamless access to Amazon (along with customized Amazon wishlists for the whole family) made Christmas shopping a breeze! :)

Aside from spreadsheet/word processing capabilities that would be more convenient on a regular laptop, I haven't found much that I can't do. I have considered a Microsoft Surface, though, for that very reason. As my current job doesn't require those capabilities as much as my last position, and I am not into music, I've found the Fire HDX to be a perfect blend for me right now.

I agree that it's a great option for someone who loves to read and wants the convenience of being able to do other things as opposed to someone who needs more serious usage with a few books on the side. Plus, with the price tag of $100-$150 as opposed to $250-$300 for an iPad mini, there is just no comparison for me.

I do have the regular kindle, but both my parents have the kindle fire not HD. They are older so maybe their opinion isn't the most reliable, but they both said that they are happy with it but its not exactly what they wanted. They were looking for more of a tablet than an e-reader. 

I think the Microsoft Surface is the coolest thing ever, but I don't have the money to buy it. 

I know! The Surface been on my wish list forever, but I just can't justify it seeing that I no longer need daily access to the Office Suite. Sigh...should I win the lottery, I'll pick up an extra one for you. ;)

:lol: That would be nice

My macbook is on its last legs after 5 years of solid service so I decided to give the surface a go. One of the things that really appealed to me about it was the pen input as I am a habitual note-taker. It blows any tablet I've used out of the water but I think that it should given the price. I really love it but I just wish that the type cover keyboard was a little better. It's not difficult to use but it can't keep up with my macbook keyboard or the mechanical keyboard on my PC. I don't think that the trackpad on it is particularly great either. These are minor niggles as I'm very choosey when it comes to keyboards as I type a lot. It's mega portability is so useful to me as lugging around my macbook was enough to give me back ache.

Pathetically silly? Absolutely not! I would probably feel the same way. But of course you don't have to read one format to the exclusion of the other. From what everyone else has said, they can coexist. :) I occasionally read ebooks on my iPad or laptop, but I don't have a dedicated e-reader. Even if I started reading more ebooks, I will always love my hard copies more.

So it has been around two weeks since you received your Kindle. How is it going? How much have you used it?

My macbook is on its last legs after 5 years of solid service so I decided to give the surface a go. One of the things that really appealed to me about it was the pen input as I am a habitual note-taker. It blows any tablet I've used out of the water but I think that it should given the price. I really love it but I just wish that the type cover keyboard was a little better. It's not difficult to use but it can't keep up with my macbook keyboard or the mechanical keyboard on my PC. I don't think that the trackpad on it is particularly great either. These are minor niggles as I'm very choosey when it comes to keyboards as I type a lot. It's mega portability is so useful to me as lugging around my macbook was enough to give me back ache.

Hmm...it's good to know about your experience. I don't know anyone who owns one, so I've only seen online reviews.

So it has been around two weeks since you received your Kindle. How is it going? How much have you used it?

I'm curious as well. How's it going?