"Cover" songs

muggle not

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at that performance too!!! It was awesome, wasn't it? We were there both nights - they only did that on the second night, so we got two completely different shows. :)

Yeah! I went both nights, too, they were great shows :smile:

Karsa, I saw John Fogerty play at Bluesfest last year, and I'll be seeing Status Quo there next year. :D Can't wait!

Hey Kylie, I heard the original Quo line-up is touring next year - Alan Lancaster (the original bass player) has been living in Australia since he left the band in the 80s, I think :smile:

Hey Kylie, I heard the original Quo line-up is touring next year - Alan Lancaster (the original bass player) has been living in Australia since he left the band in the 80s, I think :smile:

Cool! I didn't know that. I wonder if him living in Australia made it easier for the organisers to get them on board. I really only know one Status Quo album. Several years back I was converting a load of my Dad's vinyl albums to CD for him and one was Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo. From the opening chord I was hooked. I later tried listening to another one of their albums but was quite disappointed - I'm guessing it was one from the 80s or something, because I generally hate 80s music :lurker:. Hopefully they'll stick to the awesome 60s stuff when they come out here.

Ok, ok, is it lets pick on the Maiden fanboi day :P

That Opeth cover is pretty cool though.

I'm a Maiden fan too, Brian, don't worry :smile: Going back to Dream Theater, on the tour prior to the one above I saw them play the whole of The Number of the Beast at the Astoria in London - here's their version of

(my favourite Maiden song) - it's pretty damn good, too, but not as good as the real thing :D

This is easily my favourite cover version of any Rush song, and I say that with the original being one of my all-time favourite songs:

Cool! I didn't know that. I wonder if him living in Australia made it easier for the organisers to get them on board. I really only know one Status Quo album. Several years back I was converting a load of my Dad's vinyl albums to CD for him and one was Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo. From the opening chord I was hooked. I later tried listening to another one of their albums but was quite disappointed - I'm guessing it was one from the 80s or something, because I generally hate 80s music :lurker:.

Yeah, basically with Quo, anything before 1979 is decent, anything after that is utter tosh :lol:

Hopefully they'll stick to the awesome 60s stuff when they come out here.

I think, with Lancaster back for this tour, they'll probably play a lot of 70s stuff, although he was around for a couple of the 80s albums :doh: Doubt that they'd go as far back as Pictures of Matchstick Men, though . . .

The thing I don't like about a lot of cover versions is when people copying other people's work don't put their own stamp on it. Yes, Westlife, I'm looking at you...

I love, love, love Pink Floyd, and Comfortably Numb is such a song of awesomeness...

But at least the Scissor Sisters made it their own when they covered it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Korn - Word up! (originally Cameo)
Metallica - Whiskey in the jar (originally irish folk)

Nightwish - Over the hills and far away (originally Gary Moore)

Rod Stewart - I don't want to talk about it (originally Crazy horse)

Freddie Mercury - The great pretender (originally The Platters)

And I rediscovered this wonderful song recently. Lisa Nilsson sings Manic Street Preachers "If you tolerate this your children will be next":

• 3 weeks later...

Cheryl Cole's Promise This covered acoustically by Adele in the Radio One Live Lounge.

Never Tear us Apart by Paloma Faith exceeds the INXS

Stop me if you heard this one before mixed by Mark Ronson I prefer to The Smiths original 

• 4 weeks later...