"Cover" songs

muggle not

Name a "Cover Song" that exceeds or approaches the original in popularity. I will start with:

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston which exceeds the great original song by Dolly Parton in popularity.

I can think of many others but will only post one song at a time. :)

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh, recently redone by Godsmack

(I know the origional was big, but Godsmack brought it back to a new generation- so I'd say it approaches the origional, not really surpasses it in any way)

Edited by Stiggy

Somebody That I Used To Know - originally performed by Gotye featuring Kimbra. Performed to popular acclaim (and better than the original in the opinion of many) by Walk Off The Earth. Made even more spectacular because it features FIVE people playing ONE guitar! :) Don't get me wrong, the original is excellent, but the cover is something else!

See WOTE perform it HERE.

All Along the Watchtower ..... Bob Dylan original, Jimi Hendrix cover. Love both versions

I Shot the Sherriff .....Bob Marley original, Eric Clapton cover. Hard choice

Cocaine .....JJ Cale original, Eric Clapton cover. I've always loved JJ Cale's version the best.

A Little Help From My Friends .....Beatles original, Joe Cocker cover. I love Joe Cocker's version (not a Beatles fan *runs for cover*) :out:

All Along the Watchtower ..... Bob Dylan original, Jimi Hendrix cover. Love both versions

I Shot the Sherriff .....Bob Marley original, Eric Clapton cover. Hard choice

Cocaine .....JJ Cale original, Eric Clapton cover. I've always loved JJ Cale's version the best.

A Little Help From My Friends .....Beatles original, Joe Cocker cover. I love Joe Cocker's version (not a Beatles fan *runs for cover*) :out:

Great choices Popsicle, and I adore Joe Cocker's version of A Little Help From My Friends. He made it a completely different song.

Muggle Not - Great thread to create, and some lovely music choices. :smile:

I go even further - the very best version of this song, in my opinion, was the version used in the updated TV show Battlestar Galactica, performed by Bear McCreary.

You can hear this fabulous version

Great choices Popsicle, and I adore Joe Cocker's version of A Little Help From My Friends. He made it a completely different song.

Muggle Not - Great thread to create, and some lovely music choices. :smile:

Aw shucks, thank you. :) How about this cover song:

Blue Bayou - original by Roy Orbison and a great, great, cover by Linda Ronstadt.

Edited by muggle not

I go even further - the very best version of this song, in my opinion, was the version used in the updated TV show Battlestar Galactica, performed by Bear McCreary.

You can hear this fabulous version

Wow Kell! I see what you mean ...that's awesome!!

Isn't it just? There are times when being a geeky fan girl mean you get to see the best stuff (Battlestar Galactica) and hear the best music (That version of Watchtower) and the rest of the world remains oblivious. It becomes the job of the geeky fan girls (and boys!) to spread the word. :)

"Me And Bobby McGhee" - Original sung by Roger Miller. Cover sung by Janis Joplin.

As much as I liked Roger Miller and his unique talent, I believe that the Janis Joplin version exceeded the original sung by Roger Miller (written by the great kris kristofferson).

An aside - I had an opportunity to see Roger Miller perform in an intimate setting of about 150 people at The Woodlands restaurant in Hickory, NC 20+ years ago and for some unfathomable reason I didn't attend. I am still kicking myself.

http://youtu.be/6ko_bzuODTI

Edited by muggle not

Valerie by Amy Winehouse exceeded the popularity of the original Zutons version, but was by no means any where near as good. I put this down to most people not having heard the original... but it could be the general poor taste of music that this country seems to have.

I really like "Dancing Days" cover of a really strange Led Zep song, by the Stone Temple Pilots.

Of the two, the STP version sounds much more mainstreamed, where as the Zepplin version is oudlandishly strange, and seems to conjure a sort of magic in my mind.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds - Elton John

Redemption Song - Joe Strummer

I fought the law - The Clash

The devil went down to Georgia - The Levellers

All great songs and fantastic covers this from a person that hates cover versions

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston which exceeds the great original song by Dolly Parton in popularity.

Lucky my sister can't hear you. Dolly is her heroine and she HATES the Whitney version. She is a bit of a lone voice on that though.

I wouldn't necessarily say that these exceed but to my mind they definitely approach.

Valerie - Amy Winehouse .. I've obviously inherited the country's poor taste :D (Originally by The Zutons .. and yes I have heard it).

She's Not There - Santana (The Zombies)

With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker (The Beatles)

I Feel for You - Chaka Khan (Prince)

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Al Green (The Bee Gees)

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinnead O'Connor (Prince)

Fell in Love with a Boy - Joss Stone (The White Stripes :hide:)

A New England - Kirsty MacColl (Billy Bragg)

Stop Me - Mark Ronson (The Smiths :hide::hide::D)

and of course .. this .. covered by many but probably most famously by Nina Simone.

With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker (The Beatles)

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinnead O'Connor (Prince)

and of course .. this ..(Feeling Good by Muse) covered by many but probably most famously by Nina Simone.

These are stand outs for me. Sinead's Nothing Compare's 2 U is such a powerfully moving song (and you have to give Prince crerdit for writing it) I think she's used your cemetary photos Poppyshake :icon_eek::D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTQvT0W_0

Lucky my sister can't hear you. Dolly is her heroine and she HATES the Whitney version. She is a bit of a lone voice on that though.

I'll add my voice to that! I hate the Whitney version but the Dolly Parton version is wonderful. :)

I'll add my voice to that! I hate the Whitney version but the Dolly Parton version is wonderful. :)

LOL, i also like the Dolly version as I am a big fan of Dolly Parton and have been for many years. However, the whitney version sold more albums.