A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I just finished this book on Thursday, and this book is utterly astounding. It will bring you up, and bring you back down all in one page. I haven't read many books where an author is able to do that with the readers hopes for the characters.

I know that it just came out this past Tuesday (5.22), but I was wondering if anyone has been able to read it yet. I have a desperate need to discuss it with someone else. I know for sure that it will make a wonderful book discussion book.

I didn't know that Khaled had a new book out. I will be right onto Amazon to order this one, LOVED the Kite Runner!!

I haven't read Kite Runner (I know, I know, I just have to), but the people who have read Kite Runner, said Splendid Suns was BETTER.

I think what makes Khaled such a great writer is that he makes his books plot and character driven, and in 350 pages.

No sign of it yet at the library . . . I can't wait, I can't wait.

I would actually buy my own copy if it was in paperback (being a paperback preferer) but will read library hardback and then buy own paperback when it comes out.

I think what makes Khaled such a great writer is that he makes his books plot and character driven, and in 350 pages.

I agree. When I first heard about The Kite Runner, and the rave reviews it got, I was expecting an epic of at least 600 pages long. I was surprised to see how short it was! Short it may be, but it's one helluva great story in there. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray - I can add to this thread at last!

Finished ATSS today - it was the sort of book where you think about the characters even when you're not reading it. It made me gasp out loud a few times and it was so sad in places. Its strength is in that we immediately love and respect the characters and instantly want to protect them and see them have happy lives. I feel I've learnt so much from reading this novel about Afganistan and its politics and about its people.

I just finished this book on Thursday, and this book is utterly astounding. It will bring you up, and bring you back down all in one page. I haven't read many books where an author is able to do that with the readers hopes for the characters.

I know that it just came out this past Tuesday (5.22), but I was wondering if anyone has been able to read it yet. I have a desperate need to discuss it with someone else. I know for sure that it will make a wonderful book discussion book.

Are the Reading Circle nominations for August open yet?

Rarely do I see an entire thread where e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y is excited about a new book coming out.

Are the Reading Circle nominations for August open yet?

Rarely do I see an entire thread where e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y is excited about a new book coming out.

A lot of us were blown away by Khaled Hosseini's first novel The Kite Runner.

The reservations list for A Thousand Splendid Suns at the library is very, very long - I reserved it before the library even ordered it so was lucky enough to be at the top - took my copy back as soon as I finished it so that others could enjoy the novel too. I will get my own copy as soon as it comes out in paperback.

• 1 year later...

This novel by Khaled Hosseini was probably the best book that i have ever read. Here is a review of the book.

Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry the troubled and bitter Rasheed, who is thirty years her senior. Nearly two decades later, in a climate of growing unrest, tragedy strikes fifteen-year-old Laila, who must leave her home and join Mariam's unhappy household. Laila and Mariam are to find consolation in each other, their friendship to grow as deep as the bond between sisters, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. With the passing of time comes Taliban rule over Afghanistan, the streets of Kabul loud with the sound of gunfire and bombs, life a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear, the women's endurance tested beyond their worst imaginings. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism. In the end, it is love that triumphs over death and destruction. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is an unforgettable portrait of a wounded country and a deeply moving story of family and friendship. It is a beautiful, heart-wrenching story of an unforgiving time, an unlikely bond and an indestructible love.

It's written in such a way that you will feel as if you have travelled to Afganisthan and seeing everything with your own eyes. This book really made me cry in some parts. I absolutely loved the book and once I had started it I couldnt put it down until I finished it......:D:gl:

Edited by Nici
Added capitals and punctuation

I have had this book for ages but felt I needed a rest from Afganistan after reading Kabul Beauty School and the Kite Runner quite close together. Once I get past my 'have to read pile' (bookring & review) I will be reading this. I am really looking forward to it.

Kx

I read The Kite Runner and thought that was good

I didn't! I think I'm the only person who didn't like it. It does mean I'm not particularly interested in A Thousand Splendid Suns

Did anyone else find this too similar to Kite Runner, in terms of tone and style? I began feeling like Hosseni is just a one-trick pony, right down to his similar chapter-ending cliffhangers. I'd like to see if he could write an engaging story without cashing in on the catastrophic conditions of the Middle East

I nearly picked this up in the hospital last week. I put it down in favour of another book. If it weren't for a few pence I would have picked up both. I think i should have got this one, but the one I got looks quite good, and is a cultural novel too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been waiting as patiently as possible for this to come out in a reasonable sized paperback (I can't get on with those huge ones, nor do I like hardbacks).

It was totally and utterly worth the wait. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I immediately felt empathy with Miriam and when Laila joined the story it became absolutely 'unputdownable'!

I thought The Kite Runner was very good, but this just blew that out of the water.

I wonder how he'll follow this?! If I could give it 11/10 I would!

• 2 months later...

I guess I'll need to re-read this, then. I loved 'The Kite Runner' and was eagerly awaiting the new one. I got a pre-publication copy (long story) and just hated it. I found the words just didn't flow, the sentences were so choppy, etc. and I returned it unread. Perhaps the editor worked some magic on it since so many people rave about it.

• 2 weeks later...

To me it was a captivating and well written book that I have truly enjoyed. It made my gratitude levels soar up seeing how tough it was to be a woman in that place and time. Nevertheless I liked it a bit less than I liked Kite Runner because the characters sort of give up the fight half-way (well, I know "they are forced to give up the fight" would be a better phrasing, but regardless of their reasons and choices or lack of them that's the way I felt).