The Common Cold ~ what remedies?

Chrissy

I make my own hot lemon or lime drink:

- Juice of 1 lime or half a lemon (with the "juicy bits" if you like it) - freshly squeezed

- A little fresh grated ginger root

- A large dollop of honey

- Hot water

If you're feverish, add a soluble paracetamol (or take a regular one) to help bring it down.

Other than that, plenty of rest, plenty of fluids. I like to take hot baths - lots of steam for clearing out the nasal passages. I also use either Vicks Vaporub or tiger balm around my nose to help keep it clear, or use menthol crystals dissolved in hot water then stick a towel over my head and breathe in the steam.

A little lavender sachet in my pillow aids sleep, along with a hot water bottle.

And it's true what they say about chicken soup - if it's home made, then all the better. Make sure there's plenty of veg in there too - onions and lots of garlic are good for helping keep a cold at bay or quelling one you already have, so have garlic bread with your soup too!

I haven't checked out what other people have written. I find the quickest way to get over a bad cold is:

1. Have a day off. Don't try to "struggle through".

2. Dose myself up with a DOUBLE dose of beechams in hot water with lemon juice and honey and go to sleep. This knocks me right out for most of a day.

ps. I don't keep double-dosing .. Usually this works first time and I don't have to do it again, I feel much better when I wake up.

I agree about soup, although I don't like chicken soup, it has to be beef and vegetable or tomato for me.

Edited by vodkafan

• 4 weeks later...

If I feel a cold coming on I take vitamin c and echinacea...and a hot toddy before bed. To make it I use about 1/3 whisky, 2/3 warm water, a teaspoonful of honey and a dash of lemon. I take it to bed, sip and drink it then try and sleep. Honestly, it really works (well I keep telling myself it does).

I now swear by echinacea, friends used it for years and I poo poohed it but tried it last year and it (seems) to work a treat, I take the high strength tablets for a couple if days when I feel a cold coming on and the symptoms never amount to much - touch wood!!!

Hope you feel better soon Chrissy x x

Echinacea all the way - start taking it as soon as you feel a cold coming and then you will hardly notice you have one at all. Plenty of hot drinks (pref without milk) and boiled sweets to suck on. Fresh fruit and comfort food (pref hot).

I shunned vicks and all that a couple of years ago and haven't had a really bad cold for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...