What's Up In October?

Kell

Impromptu shopping adventure today in the hopes of finding myself a winter coat and boots! Was planning on going alone (not so much an adventure as a chore) but my friend is going to be around anyway so we're gonna go together! Looking forward to finally having some winter woolies. I'm also taking her to the place where I got my two tattoos done as she's looking into getting her second.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your granddaughter sounds an interesting young lady, muggle-not.

And going by that speech, you have every reason to be proud of her, and show her off :)

(I didn't leave my home-town till I was 25, but having travelled a bit now (all within the country) - I see how educating it can be - and it's one of the things I'd like my little girl to experience as she grows.)

while in Morocco my GD organized a trip (with a guide) for her and 3 of her classmates for a two day trip out into the Sahara Desert. They rode camels on the trip and slept under the stars and she said the sight of the stars and the lack of sound was awesome. While in the Sahara she met a tribe of Nomads and they prepared tea for her.

I am enjoying a weekend off from work. Having just worked for 7 days in a row, I enjoyed a rather long and much needed lie in. I have 5 weeks between pay days this time around, and this is the fifth and final week, so there is not much in the bank, but Coran and I went out anyway for a nice lunch in Pizza Hut followed by a trip to the cinema to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoyed the film, and could relate to Charlie, the lead character, although I wasn't sure about Emma Watson's American accent!

I will be in Charlotte, NC all next week on business. Two people are coming in from Boston, two from Denver, one from New jersey, me :) and one from Charlotte for a Summitt meeting.

the boss is taking us out to dinner Thursday evening to the Speedway Club where we will also watch qualifying for Sunday's race and also watch the drivers "Wives' in a powder puff race.

photo of the Speedway Club restaurant is posted along with a buffet menu.

http://www.gospeedwa...dining/raceday/

Edited by muggle not

What on earth is a 'Drivers' Wives Powder Puff Race' ? :10_confused: muggle not? (I have a feeling I may regret asking this :D)

Anyway, I've looked at the menu and I think I'll have the Bourbon glazed rubbed pork loin with cheddar chive mash and roll and butter please and then as many pies, cakes, cookies and dessert bars as they can throw at me :D

It looks lovely .. hope you enjoy it.

haven't been on much well at least posting just been a bit hectic at work and too tired to contemplaye anything other than work dinner tv and bed in the evening. Still trying to decide what to do for the big 40 in a months time, i am now thinking a spa weekend in devon with a friend quite expensive as I want a pampery one.

what else is new???? spent some of the day with my dad as my mum has abandoned him to go to spain for a week to celebrate her birthday with her sisters....both she and my dad reach 70 this year too so its big one for 3 of us. Party central

hows everyone else?

What on earth is a 'Drivers' Wives Powder Puff Race' ? :10_confused: muggle not? (I have a feeling I may regret asking this :D)

Anyway, I've looked at the menu and I think I'll have the Bourbon glazed rubbed pork loin with cheddar chive mash and roll and butter please and then as many pies, cakes, cookies and dessert bars as they can throw at me :D

It looks lovely .. hope you enjoy it.

It is a short race that have the Nascar driver's wifes/girlfriends racing in the cars. They call it a powder puff race. :) this is an awesome race track. I will have to wear my Dale Earnhardt, jr ball cap. :)

Oh Pontable, I’m so very sorry to hear that. It’s bloody awful news. There are no words that can truly comfort that poor family. I just hope they don’t blame themselves as survivors are want to do. And you, even if you didn’t know that girl personally, it’s still a devastating thing to happen, especially within your circle of friends. :empathy: :empathy: :flowers2:

I agree with Emelee that the cracks in our different medical systems are still unacceptably huge. Trying to get help in a timely manner, for yourself if you are fortunate enough to recognize that you need such help, or for a loved one you if you see the signs they don’t. And even if you can get help, the funds are never enough to provide for individual needs, or research the expand the knowledge needed to provide it. Plus, despite living in the “information age” when things like mental illness should be treated with the same respect by both the medical community and society as you would treat any other illness of disease, and not be such a social stigma, people are still treated like social pariahs. Heaven forbid if you should tell people that you suffer from depression or any of the other myriad of conditions. It can affect your ability to get and keep a job, be welcome in by your so-called friends. Doctors are all too often ready to drown the problem with a cocktail of drugs, then blame any other medical issues on the psychological issue(s).

A shame is right, to put it mildly!

Chaliepud, sorry to hear the sad news about your friend and the other friend’s dog. And of course about your own doggy. It is so sad when we realize one of our furry kids is nearing the end of the lives. I am so pleased that my elderly kitty saw her 18th birthday this past Mother’s Day, but it’s still up in the air whether she will see her next one. Let’s just hang onto the ones we have and try not to dwell too much on days we won’t. I know, easier said than done. :empathy:

Muggle not, wow! Great speech. Go ahead and brag, you’re certainly entitled to!

Raven, enjoy your week off!

Talisman, 7 days in a row? And FIVE weeks between paydays? Yikes, don’t know how you do it! Glad you at least go a lunch and movie in. :flowers2:

My GD enjoyed her stay in Ghana. It was not her favorite Country that she has visited but she said she learned a lot about the culture and is glad she studied there . The previous summer she spent a month in Morocco as a volunteer in a children's hospital. She really enjoyed Morocco and learned much about the people and their culture. She has also visited europe 3 different times and while between grades 11 and 12 (during High School in the U.S.) studied at Oxford Universityin the UK for a whole summer (straight A's :)). She gave a speech at her High school graduation at age 17.......(I know I am bragging on her but it can't be helped :) )

Part of her speech...................... we must be conscious of the decisions we make because our family and friends will not always be there to clean up our mess. That is not to say that we should not make any decisions for fear of messing up, because sometimes inaction is worse than action and we should never allow the fear of failure to stop us from chasing our dreams. But as you ponder the many decisions that lay before you, remember these words from Frank Sinatra in an interview with a world famous magazine: “If you don’t know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he’s just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It’s one world, pal. We’re all neighbors.” Now it is up to us to go out into the world, find our inspiration, and write the future.

You must be SO proud of her Muggles, she sounds a very mature and intelligent young lady.

Talisman, 7 days in a row? And FIVE weeks between paydays? Yikes, don’t know how you do it! Glad you at least go a lunch and movie in. :flowers2:

With extreme difficulty - I haven't had a pay rise for 3 1/2 years either - but I am working on that one ...

With extreme difficulty - I haven't had a pay rise for 3 1/2 years either - but I am working on that one ...

Well here's to hoping you get it soon! You did say worked in the care-giving part of the health care field right? One the most under-paid and under-appreciated professions out there, in my opinion.

Well here's to hoping you get it soon! You did say worked in the care-giving part of the health care field right? One the most under-paid and under-appreciated professions out there, in my opinion.

Tell me about it. The trouble is, our Director knows that this is a vocation and takes advantage of that. The residents and families (and my actual Manager) at least appreciate me though. The Manager is most definately on our side, and I know that is she had anything to do with it, we would all get the large rises that we deserve. Sadly though it is not up to her.

Tell me about it. The trouble is, our Director knows that this is a vocation and takes advantage of that. The residents and families (and my actual Manager) at least appreciate me though. The Manager is most definately on our side, and I know that is she had anything to do with it, we would all get the large rises that we deserve. Sadly though it is not up to her.

Well if it's any comfort you have my sympathies. I don't know how we could have managed if not for the awesome caregivers at Hospice when Mom died. It is definitely a vocation and not just a job! :friends3::empathy: I thank you on behalf the families who's loved ones you care for every day! I know it is safe to do so because I was one of those people not too long ago, and people like you made it bearable! :flowers2:

Thank you !

It has been a bit of a strange day today - I was cleaning the managers office this morning when I saw a note for the night staff asking them to prepare the paperwork for a new admisssion that was due today - the husband of one of our other residents. I knew he had been in a hospital but was unaware that he was coming in for respite, so I was surprised to see this. When I read the note though, I had the strangest feeling that something was going to happen to him and he wouldn't be in after all, then half an hour later I was told that he had died. His wife has dementia, so it was difficult for their son to say the least.

Then after work I went to the funeral of one of our other residents who passed away recently. It was a nice service, but no one really likes funerals. One more day to go and then I get two days off. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Thank you !

It has been a bit of a strange day today - I was cleaning the managers office this morning when I saw a note for the night staff asking them to prepare the paperwork for a new admisssion that was due today - the husband of one of our other residents. I knew he had been in a hospital but was unaware that he was coming in for respite, so I was surprised to see this. When I read the note though, I had the strangest feeling that something was going to happen to him and he wouldn't be in after all, then half an hour later I was told that he had died. His wife has dementia, so it was difficult for their son to say the least.

Then after work I went to the funeral of one of our other residents who passed away recently. It was a nice service, but no one really likes funerals. One more day to go and then I get two days off. :smile:

That's terrible! Poor guy. Maybe at least for the mother, it will be easier because of the dementia? I mean if she doesn't actually really understand?

Sorry if this sounds cruel, but when my aunt died several years ago, my grandmother lived with my parents and even though it was explained to her several times, and she went to the funeral, she seems to have thought it was just someone she was supposed to have known but couldn't quite recall. She didn't even know those of who saw her daily were most of the time. She had flashes where she would suddenly become lucid, realize all that she had lost or believing she was still living in one or another of the years before the dementia took her memories away and changed her personality. Those times were heart-breaking. But they were mercifully, in my opinion, short lived and within a few minutes at the very most, she'd slip back into the dementia. She was quite happy in that state so long as you didn't change her routine, agreed with everything you said, and she had "her" little dog by her side. (Was actually my Mom's and Grandma had never like or approved of pets in the house, nevermind on the furniture, but the "new" grandma loved and was thoroughly convinced she had her the whole time!)

Anyway, again I'm very sorry to hear such news. And I hope that poor man has other loved ones around who can be a good support system for him.

Once again, Talisman, my hat is off to you for being able to work in that kind of job without losing your compassion or sanity! :friends3::flowers2:

I don't think she understands to be honest, although it has been explained to her - her son was there when I left yesterday, and again today. The funny thing is that one of the nurses said to me that when he visited last, the day before he was admitted to hosptal, she said that was the last time she would see him.

The best thing we can do for her though is as the carers all said, carry on as normal. As for their son, he has good friends who can help him, and he knows that he can always call on us. I am sure we will still see him visiting his Mum anyway.

Edited by Talisman

My Great Uncle passed away this morning after being diagnosed with Cancer just two weeks ago and unfortuantly it was at too late a stage to have any treatment. Kind of sad as i live a few hours drive away from him and his family and the last time i saw him was at my nans funeral last year. We were going to try and get up to visit them this Christmas too. Kind of sad really as he died of the same cancer as my nan (his sister)

Very sorry to hear that Laura. Unfortunately, the most lethal cancers are often the ones that aren't detected until it's far too late for any treatment to have a hope of working. Was the same thing with my Mom, she was gone two months after finding out she had pancreatic cancer. This is for you :friends3: .

Seems that October isn't a good month for almost anyone.

Sorry to hear about your news Laura - the good news is that I have just been paid, and so I am (almost) rich again. I am then off to Guildford in about half an hour to spend a fortune in Lush (their Christmas goodies are now in), and an even bigger fortune on a new pair of winter walking trousers.