Ian McEwan

Fiona

I did look for a thread, but I am blind half the time so I may have missed it.

I've read Atonement (by far one of my favourite books)

Saturday. Which was the first one of his I read and I like his style. I enjoyed the book but I agree with most of the criticism I've read about it.

Enduring Love. It's very well written and I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was everything people made it out to be.

Despite the fact I so far only seem to be liking one book of his with any passion - he is becoming one of my favourite authors. I love the way he writes.

So, anyone else reading/read McEwan?

I started reading Atonement and started to enjoy it but was making slow progress with it. It was a library book and I ended up giving it back before I finished it. I might try it again. I would like to read Amsterdam. I'd definitely like to read something of his one day.

I picked up chisel beach in tesco but I don't think I really fancy it.

Yeah I've read it and it's pretty good, but I don't quite get the critical acclaim it got - I've read better but as always, Ian McEwan makes for an interesting and thoughtful read. Was it chapter one you studied? What was supposed to be so great about it? I mean it was GOOD but... I'm not that amazed by it really.

I don't actually like the look of Chisel Beach, I might wait till I find it somewhere...

Yeah I've read it and it's pretty good, but I don't quite get the critical acclaim it got - I've read better but as always, Ian McEwan makes for an interesting and thoughtful read. Was it chapter one you studied? What was supposed to be so great about it? I mean it was GOOD but... I'm not that amazed by it really.

I'm not sure which chapter it was, but it had the balloon scene....

when the group of men try to cling on to the balloon and the one man falls and is killed.

• 1 year later...

I read my first McEwan book earlier this year. Atonement was very, very well written. I am not a fan of coming of age stories. My own coming of age was tough enough; why live through someone else's. I actually had a hard time getting through the first hundred pages because my afore mentioned bias, however appreciated much of the language. It was not until midway through the book that I become quite enthralled, and when I finished, I was so moved that I had to talk it out (to my mother's dismay).

Did anyone notice McEwan's use of water as symbolism for truth throughout the story?

At dinner the heat makes everyone want water, but they drink warm sweet wine instead (want truth but lie about who they have been with instead). On his journey back Robbie finds water (truth) but it is always bitter or dirty of sour. Briony, after attending her cousin's wedding and before taking the imagined trip to see her sister is thirsty, but has to put extra sugar in her tea in order to make it drinkable.

I found it very interesting.

The movie ending was changed, and it unset me very much.

In the movie the grown Briony states that she did not change the ending and bring Cecelia and Robbie back to life to justify/appease herself, but in the book, that is what I felt that she did in a way. She was still "adding sugar" to the strong, bitter cup of truth in telling her story, rather than repenting of the lie. She continued to lie to her death.

Very good book. Which McEwam book should be next on my list?

Nice observations Amanda! I tend to miss out on those sorts of things when I read a book. Part of me doesn't want to analyse the book too much - I like to just enjoy the story for the story. But I know I sometimes miss out on things that might otherwise give me a better understanding/appreciation for the book.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...very interesting. :roll:

I seem to have become a fan of Ian McEwan's novels.

So far I've read

On Chesil Beach which I really loved.

Amsterdam

Child In Time

Enduring Love

The Cement Garden

Atonement

Saturday

Black Dogs

I have The Comfort of Strangers TBR and am thinking of buying another called In Between the Sheets which looks like a good read.

I like his style and prose though Saturday, whilst clever in its concept was not one of my favourite of his reads.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Enduring love. We had to study it for English Literature in college and whilst all my class mates hated it I adored it! He has a website I think...I came across it when I was researching him if i remember rightly.

How did you find the chapters nearer to the end though? I thought the part where he obtained the gun went on slightly...but maybe that's because i was impatient to find out what would happen in the end =p

I tried one of his books this week, Enduring Love, and found it dull. His style of writing is such that I found the story dragged and didn't get very far into it.

I have The Comfort of Strangers TBR and am thinking of buying another called In Between the Sheets which looks like a good read.

I read these many years ago (over 20 years) along with "The Imitation Game" (3 plays) I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. More recently I read "Black Dogs"

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished Ian McEwan's Atonement a few days ago and really enjoyed it, but found the beginning painfully slow. At one point I thought about putting it down. I'm interested in reading more of his novels, but I don't want to be bored by a lot of dull details. Are all of his novels like this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've only read Saturday which I enjoyed with an interesting moral twist at the end

I see On Chesil Beach has had some mixed reviews, but will probably get round to reading that and Atonement

I've seen the film Enduring Love - is it close to the book?

• 4 weeks later...
I love Enduring love. We had to study it for English Literature in college and whilst all my class mates hated it I adored it! He has a website I think...I came across it when I was researching him if i remember rightly.

How did you find the chapters nearer to the end though? I thought the part where he obtained the gun went on slightly...but maybe that's because i was impatient to find out what would happen in the end =p

I really enjoyed Enduring Love - thought the start was one of the best I'd ever read - although as the book went on it went off the boil as bit for me, a bit farcical maybe. Which is not to say it isn't a good book.

• 3 months later...

Iv nearly finished atonement.Found it really hard to get into and found some parts difficult to read some things just dragging on too much but I read the section detailing Robbies war experience and Brionys nursing in one sitting couldnt put it down.Its realy just taking too long to reach a climax.

Think I'l definitely read more of his though.First book I have finished in a while and actually enjoyed!

The only book of McEwan's I have read is Atonement. I have to say that I have rarely read an ending to bother me that much (making me even hate the whole book for a (short) while). Now, while I consider the fact that it made me feel that strong about the book a very good thing, I don't know whether to dare and try another one of his books because I have found Atonement a bit to dry and dragging at the beginning, it didn't captivate me easily at all, so I'm afraid the next book would be dry too (at least up until one moment which I am not sure I'll have the patience to reach).

Nevertheless Enduring Love sounds great, I might try it sometime :D

• 2 weeks later...