Amazon Ratings/Reviews

Raven

But the word will get out there regardless - why would a few days or weeks make much difference? Particularly with social media and the way things go viral, word will get out pretty quickly anyway.

In the book world, every single day counts. An author (even the relatively well known ones) have a maximum of three months in which to make an impact before the marketing team will move on to the next "big thing". If the book doesn't sell in the projected numbers within those three months then the author is less likely to get a big advance for their next book and less likely to get the the same marketing budget (if at all). That's why it's so important to get those reviews out there the moment the book is published and why publishers work to such long lead times, sending out advance review copies three months before the book is even published.

This is also what puts the self publisher (especially with print on demand) author at such a disadvantage, as most do not have the budget to give out this number of free copies knowing that most newspapers and magazines will not review their work anyway, not to mention the fact that print on demand, due it's very nature cannot work three months ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I very seldom use Amazon. But then again, I live in Sweden where we have other stuff. I have ordered a couple of items from Amazon though. But I do not like the design/layout of the website at all. It's messy IMO. I have read a couple of reviews there when I wanted to know more about a couple of books. But I always keep in mind that everyone have different opinions. 

Edited by emelee

• 3 weeks later...

Especially after the Ellory revelations around him giving positive reviews of his own books and marking down other books, I have steered away from Amazon's rating system.  I still read the occasional review but that is usually after I have purchased the book and read it, just to see what others thought of it.  I used to use the forums on Amazon and the amount of people that were on there promoting their own work in proportion to readers and shoppers made it that I doubted the genuineness of most of the reviews. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...