Book News!

Raven

There's a choice between a yearly account, and a lifetime one. I think they've realised that if people want to try them, they might want to import their books from GR - so effectively they've removed the 200 books barrier for these people. After a year, you can then choose to continue yearly, or pay the lifetime one. I chose a lifetime one soon after I started, and I much prefer it to GR. :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doh! I could have sworn I searched just a couple of weeks ago to see if Roach had a new book coming out, but I obviously missed this! Thanks for the info.

Mary Roach has a new book out!

Gulp:  Adventures on the Alimentary Canal...I want this!

Awesome, I love her books! I'm going to stick it on my wishlist, rather than buy it until I get through more books on my TBR pile.

This year so far I have read two children's/YA books (and thoroughly enjoyed them).  I've also read a couple of classics - my reading is fairly eclectic, I think.

My children don't read - my son doesn't even like reading - my daughter chooses not to.   They see me and their Dad reading all the time but still they don't pick up books.  This saddens me, but what can I do?  They were always encouraged to read as youngsters - I read to them, I took them to the library, but still they don't like reading.   Does this make me a bad parent?!  However, my daughter (15) recently devoured the Hunger Games trilogy.  She's also read the Twilight books.  I'd rather she read things like that than didn't read at all.

I just saw this Janet.  I have a 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter.  Both used to love reading, now neither read.  My son has always been a really good reader, at least three years ahead of his age throughout school.  My daughter has mild dyslexia, but until last year this didn't stop her reading.  She used to read all the time, then suddenly last year stopped.  She's read the Twilight series and some of Harry Potter.  

I'm a librarian and have done research into how to get teens (especially boys) to read.  None of it works with my two.  I read to them both while they were still in the womb, and up until they were about 12.  I hope they may one day decide they like books again.  My dad has said he didn't read as a teen, and now reads all the time.

I remember not reading so much in my mid/late teens as I was interested in so many other things, and my brother hardly read anything until his 30's and now he is a prolific reader, albeit almost all non-fiction books after the second world war, he has hundreds of books on the subject.. 

My eldest son, nearly 14, reads only at bedtime, and only because i do not allow any 'screens' in his room after 9pm so it's either that or sleep, he does enjoy it but a lot of effort goes into finding books he will read, I can't see me being able to enforce that rule much past 16 though.. :(

Cover girls: This year's book jacket fashions

I always find book cover themes fascinating - it's a common joke at my book group that I generally don't like books with photo covers of "body parts", not gory photos I should add, but those pictures where the head of the person has been cropped off or it's just a photo of arms or legs, for example, a lot of Anita Shreve's covers fall into this style.

I gave up on goodreads because it seemed only a place to list books. My librarything has other options easier to find. 200 limit, I was just thinking of listing authors from now on.

Some of the books I buy are ebooks (Kindle), most of them are paperbacks (and a minor few hardbacks, generally if there is no paperback, ie. with cookbooks). I'm reading quite a bit on my Kindle. My Kindle has a light and I find that in the earlier morning or in the evening, or sometimes during the day when there isn't much light where I am, it's a lot easier to read it rather than trying to read a physical book.

• 1 month later...

Amazon to allow e-book fan fiction sales in US.

Interesting, I wonder if they will expand this over time to other series and regions.

The article mentions The Vampire Diaries, which already has a book series, but hopefully these self published books will be better than the only one I've read, The Awakening.  No offense to anyone that likes L. J. Smith.  If the new ones are as good as the TV show, I would definitely read them.

Also, maybe there will be a diamond in the rough that may have never been published otherwise.  The possibilities are endless! :smile: