Book News!

Raven

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Penguin and Random House owners agree joint venture.

Book companies combine to take on Amazon.

I heard a suggestion that the company should be renamed Random Penguin. :D I rather like that and wish they had gone with it.

Sales of printed books slump in 2012.

Hardly surprising! The good news seems to be people are reading more, but the drawback is that the industry is getting less in return.

Shame about the declining sales of printed books. :( I'm doing my best to keep printed books alive, but I can only buy so many!

Man Who Collected 1,320 Best-Books-of-2012 Book Lists. It's all very well to collect the lists; now he needs to compile a list of the actual books in order of most recommended to least. Then we can have a definitive list!

• 1 month later...

Strangely as a young adult I read only adult fiction, and it is only now that I am in my forties that I have 'discovered' YA writing. So it's less a matter of 'still reading' with me, and more a matter of Eureka!. :giggle:

The article is sayng what we as enthusisatic readers know to be true, that books and libraries should be at the heart of educating our young people. In additon, reading guidance is desirable just to learn what is out there, what might capture your interest.

I know from friends and family that they will opt for easy reading books when they don't know what else to read (those strange people without TBR piles and shelves :P ) . People of all ages can feel almost intimidated by the sheer quanity and variety of books, and it can be compounded by the types that appear on television and radio discussing books. If you aren't a long time reader where the hell do you begin, and how many of us are self starters in things we are uncertain of?

Teenagers' book choices 'go for easier reads'

I can see why they are concerned, given the number of adults we have on here who are still reading YA books!

Whatever you do, don't go and buy the Hunger Games trilogy then.  Oh, wait . . .

:giggle2:

Teenagers' book choices 'go for easier reads'

I can see why they are concerned, given the number of adults we have on here who are still reading YA books!

That's rather insulting! YA are not 'easy reads', in fact it's a rapidly growing genre, covering all sorts of topics and issues. Just because it's not for you, don't put down those who do read them.

This year so far I have read two children's/YA books (and thoroughly enjoyed them).  I've also read a couple of classics - my reading is fairly eclectic, I think.

My children don't read - my son doesn't even like reading - my daughter chooses not to.   They see me and their Dad reading all the time but still they don't pick up books.  This saddens me, but what can I do?  They were always encouraged to read as youngsters - I read to them, I took them to the library, but still they don't like reading.   Does this make me a bad parent?!  However, my daughter (15) recently devoured the Hunger Games trilogy.  She's also read the Twilight books.  I'd rather she read things like that than didn't read at all.

It may something they grow out of (or into, depending on which side of the coin you are looking at).

I didn't read much until I was 16 because the books on offer to me at the time just didn't inspire (Enid Blyton and Hardy Boys books were never my idea of interesting!).  I started off by reading Star Trek novels because I got interested in the TV series (this was in the days when the series was just starting to be released on VHS and they weren't available on demand like they are today). 

Perhaps you could find something similar that your children are interested in (even if it is just a novelisation of a computer game or film). 

Graphic novels might be an idea as well (break 'em in gentle like!).

First off I need to say that my son is wonderful!  He's kind, considerate, polite, hard-working, conscientious... he's always been a nice teenager (he's an adult now - he was 18 in November) so he shouldn't be judged on this but when it comes to reading it's almost like a badge of honour for him to not like it. 

He was diagnosed as dyslexic just a few weeks ago (which makes his GCSE results even more impressive - he was predicted Ds and Cs - more Ds than Cs - and instead got Bs and Cs!) so I think now that this might have some bearing on his dislike of books.  He's not a computer-game person either - he's always been a Bike/Skateboard/Fresh air kind of guy so it's not like he sits on his backside all day and does nothing.  :)

I need to investigate whether there are any other books similar to The Hunger Games that my daughter might enjoy.   :)

I would recommend Divergent too, the third in the trilogy is being released later this year so not too long to wait if she enjoys the first two.. I thoroughly enjoyed the first books, as did my teenage son and now my 11 year old daughter is reading them and also enjoying them. :)

Your son did brilliantly, one of my sons friends was diagnosed with dyslexia in Year 6 (now Year 9) and he gets all sorts of help and extra time in tests, so to achieve what he did without that help is fantastic.. :)

Janet, try Divergent, which is generally really liked by Hunger Games fans. Slated is also really good, and Unremembered is fast paced, so good for reluctant readers. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, Michelle.  :)  They have a copy of Divergent in the library in the next town - I will see if I can get it for her.  :)

I would recommend Divergent too, the third in the trilogy is being released later this year so not too long to wait if she enjoys the first two.. I thoroughly enjoyed the first books, as did my teenage son and now my 11 year old daughter is reading them and also enjoying them. :)

Your son did brilliantly, one of my sons friends was diagnosed with dyslexia in Year 6 (now Year 9) and he gets all sorts of help and extra time in tests, so to achieve what he did without that help is fantastic.. :)

Thanks.  :)  We were so proud of him at the time - and we still are.  He's in his second hear of an apprenticeship and he loves it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet.

Amazon to buy Goodreads.  They already own Shelfari.   Every time I log into that it tries to get me to link to Amazon.com. I always say no as I've only used the US version once or twice.

I just saw this. I don't use Goodreads, though I know a lot of people on here do, but I'm sorry to see an independent book site get bought out by a commercial one.

I use GoodReads, but I like it as it is. There are too many book sites already owned and/or affiliated with Amazon. I shop on Amazon a lot but I don't need to see links to it specifically on every page or anything. I don't want my accounts linked, I like to add my books manually.

The connection new between Amazon and Good Reads is all the more amusing considering the kerfuffle last year (wasn't it?) about book covers or some such nonsense.  I saw the announcement on facebook, and the tone of the announcement was...........kinda creepy actually.  So, fake cheerful.  :roll:  A bit on the nauseating side, sort of like......we are soooo happy to have our toes cut off at the first joint.  It's exhilarating!  Oy.  :intherain:

just saw on Twitter that Librarything are allowing people to set up new accounts free between now and sunday..usually if you add more than 200 books you have to pay..after a year you'll then have to pay if you add more than 200 a year I believe.